The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2004, 03:40 PM   #1
DCRANER

Alum. A-arms ?

My truck is already slightly lowered via spring change and I would like to simply now replace the stock A-Arms with alun. units and any other quality upgrade suggestions would be appreciated.

I want to maintain the current ride height, just replace the steel with alum. where possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Doug
86 GMC SWB, DK. BLUE, ZZ430,TH400, 4.11'S, HEADMAN CERAMIC HEADERS, WELD BILLETS, BFG 275 / 60 / 15, 325 / 50 / 15 DRAG RADIALS, FIBERGLASS COWL HOOD, B&M SHIFTER. MSD, MARCH PULLEYS / ALT. / PWR. STEER PUMP, BECOOL RAD., BILLET GRILL & GRANT WHEEL.
DCRANER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

No one make an aluminum bolt in replacement for our trucks. Aluminum castings are EXPENSIVE! You best bet would be to go to a vette suspension, again.. EXPENSIVE!
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
greatdaen

What are the reasons you want to go to Aluminum? Weight or Looks? Is this a "low" budget or "trick" budget upgrade?

If you are going for looks, you can probably have a set machined. There are a couple of Trophy Truck race teams with experience machining Aluminum A-Arms. These arms live up to BAJA Off-road conditions. Cost could be $$$ since these guys aren't in the business of selling to others.

If you are looking for low mass, then you might consider a "high modulus" thin layer chrome molly set. Instead of a heavy stamping, these are made from several layers of very thin (0.060) chrome-moly with flaired holes for strength & weight reduction. Again these have been used in off-roading Trophy Truck classes (extremely high loading).

I can provide more info if either of those paths sound appealing.

-dch
greatdaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 06:25 PM   #4
greatdaen

Here is sort of a generic "cut-away" view of a high modulous control arm design. There would be "buds" welded into the structure at pivot and ball joint mounting location

-dch
Attached Images

greatdaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 10:20 AM   #5
DCRANER

Alum. A-Arms?

Actually, my question may have been wrong. I think what I am looking for is the tubular arms, thinking this would save weight. I do not want to lower it more than the current lowering springs I already have in it. I guess the tubular arms are steel, so does someone make a quality one?

Thanks.

Doug
86 GMC SWB, DK. BLUE, ZZ430,TH400, 4.11'S, HEADMAN CERAMIC HEADERS, WELD BILLETS, BFG 275 / 60 / 15, 325 / 50 / 15 DRAG RADIALS, FIBERGLASS COWL HOOD, B&M SHIFTER. MSD, MARCH PULLEYS / ALT. / PWR. STEER PUMP, BECOOL RAD., BILLET GRILL & GRANT WHEEL.
DCRANER is offline   Reply With Quote