The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
flipper58

Hide away bed fuel door

Check this out. A friend at SEMA spoke with these guys (MoMuscleCars out of the Houston area) and took these pics. It's on a 62, but it sure looks like it would fit the bill on any wood bed. The trunk hinges are billet and are for a 65 Mustang. There is an electric motor that powers the door. Pretty slick.
Attached Images

Last edited by flipper58; 11-10-2015 at 12:27 PM.
flipper58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:07 PM   #2
Ruscal

Re: Hide away bed fuel door

That is a pretty fancy fuel door. I have seen that concept on several show trucks in the past. Nice and tidy.
Russ
Old 11-10-2015, 01:27 PM   #3
cooperhw

That's pretty dang cool. Looks like it cost's a pretty penny too. I bet that added at least $2000 to the cost of that build if they had a high end shop do it. That's how those super high end trucks get so out of sight on the pricetags. Cool widget though.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I have seen that setup before. that is a kit on the market, but at this time, I cannot tell you where. If you have anything in the bed of any size, you would have to move it to fill the tank. Of course with that shiney of floor, you would not carry anything heavy.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
cooperhw

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
I have seen that setup before. that is a kit on the market, but at this time, I cannot tell you where. If you have anything in the bed of any size, you would have to move it to fill the tank. Of course with that shiney of floor, you would not carry anything heavy.
Isn't that the truth. I bet that bed has never carried anything, never plan to carry anything, ever. I had two trucks like that over the years. Never again.
cooperhw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
cleszkie

I don't really like how it exposes the entire length of the bed just to access the gas cap. Its not really tailored to the application in my opinion. Now if only the 8 to 12 inches over the gas cap opened up, that would be more funtionally efficient. But as noted above, anything goes in show trucks, and pure functionality takes a back seat to showing off.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
n33k0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhw View Post
Isn't that the truth. I bet that bed has never carried anything, never plan to carry anything, ever. I had two trucks like that over the years. Never again.
I keep telling myself "I will refinish the wood bed and it will look amazing" while carelessly tossing tools and chains in the bed.

"Oops. Oh well..."
Old 11-10-2015, 10:53 PM   #8
BigMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
I don't really like how it exposes the entire length of the bed just to access the gas cap. Its not really tailored to the application in my opinion. Now if only the 8 to 12 inches over the gas cap opened up, that would be more funtionally efficient. But as noted above, anything goes in show trucks, and pure functionality takes a back seat to showing off.
The only problem with that is then there would be lines, or openings in the plank of wood. This way it looks clean when it is closed and no gas cap to be seen. There is a company that put a kit together like piecesparts said. I first saw a similar setup back in 06 or 07 and planned on doing something similar some day.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote