The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #1
blown240

Brakes Dragging BAD

I was running errands and was thinking about how good my 61 was running. On the way home from my last errand my brakes started dragging. I was only about 3 miles from home, so I drive home very slowly so as not to over heat then and cause a fire.

Once I got home, I jacked it up and all 4 drums seem to be the same. Cant even start to turn by hand. Also the pedal has no throw, I can't even move it enough to turn on the taillights. Fluid level is good.

The entire brake system was replaced just a few months ago. Drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, master, booster, capt fab bracket, most of the hard lines, all the soft lines, and all the hardware is new. It has been working fine until today.

Any ideas? Im thinking something in the booster/master/linkage...
Old 11-12-2015, 07:54 PM   #2
PGSigns

Re: Brakes Dragging BAD

Break the lines loos at the master cylinder and see if it is holding pressure. Then try and see if it rolls any better. Sound like master cylinder to me.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
61_FL_Apache
Who Me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Break the lines loos at the master cylinder and see if it is holding pressure. Then try and see if it rolls any better. Sound like master cylinder to me.
Jimmy
On that note... Replace your rubber lines. They can collapse when they get old. Been there a few times with the same issue.

1997 Tahoe LT 4D 2WD (DD)
2001 Blazer 4D 2WD
1961 Apache 10 (sold)
1965 C10 Stepper (sold)
61_FL_Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
Lugnutz65

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown240 View Post
I was running errands and was thinking about how good my 61 was running. On the way home from my last errand my brakes started dragging. I was only about 3 miles from home, so I drive home very slowly so as not to over heat then and cause a fire.

Once I got home, I jacked it up and all 4 drums seem to be the same. Cant even start to turn by hand. Also the pedal has no throw, I can't even move it enough to turn on the taillights. Fluid level is good.

The entire brake system was replaced just a few months ago. Drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, master, booster, capt fab bracket, most of the hard lines, all the soft lines, and all the hardware is new. It has been working fine until today.

Any ideas? Im thinking something in the booster/master/linkage...
Holy cow! Your story is really similar to mine. Brakes kept getting tighter and tighter when driving. Pedal became very tight.

In my case, I had the push rod going from the pedal to the back of the master cylinder adjusted wrong. It was not allowing the master cylinder plunger to fully return to the rest position. Pressure in the lines kept building. Simple fix. I hope your fix is as simple as mine was, but man it sure did worry me.

Want to know more about T5 transmissions? My website has a T5 Info Page and a Step by Step T5 rebuild.

Last edited by Lugnutz65; 11-12-2015 at 08:21 PM.
Lugnutz65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:19 PM   #6
blown240

Thanks for the replies. Super strange. I unbolted the master from the booster and the brakes unlocked. When I checked the push rod on the booster it was adjusted out almost 1/4 inch. Can these things unscrew from driving? I had it set jus right when I installed the brakes several months ago. I put it back to where it was before, and that fixed it. I do need to adjust the shoes a bit, but other than that its odd....

Its almost like someone played a joke on me, but none of my buddies would mess with my brakes.

Im really glad it was such an easy fix, but it seems REALLY odd that this would happen.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:30 PM   #7
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

You could put some permatex on the threads and that'll keep it from moving. lol Glad it was a simple fix.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote