The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #1
WEBBY1

aftermarket hood hinges

Are any of you running aftermarket hinges once the inner fenders are removed.. pb wants 300 for a set.
WEBBY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 10:34 PM   #2
cdog73

Re: aftermarket hood hinges

I'm with you brother. Even though I love everything that Porterbuilt builds , its just really not affordable for your every day Joe. I feel his products cater to high end builds. What about us guys who make 50k a year and want a nice truck and have to also try and raise a family. I think it would be awesome if Nate would make another crossmember like the ones in his early days that still allowed you to use your stock arms. I was pricing just a complete Porterbuilt suspension set up and it was more than I paid for my entire truck. Sorry to get off subject but I'm with you. Where are the hood hinges that are under 300 bucks that guys are using on bagged c10s. I know they're out there. What are you guys using that cant afford a 300 dollar set??
cdog73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:44 AM   #3
Ghernandez66

You dont have to take your inner fenders out you can else just cut em to allow tire to go in more, you will need to relocate the spring because you have to cut part of the bracket that holds it. I seen this done few times and if your not laying frame this is perfect I thought of doing this to my truck but my inner fenders were destroyed by the PO when he installed a super long radiator in the truck so If I dont find a set of decent ones I will go with the PB ones..
Ghernandez66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:47 AM   #4
Ghernandez66

Check it out..

Name:  Screenshot_2015-11-07-20-26-33.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  75.5 KB
Ghernandez66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:22 AM   #5
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I had to cut and weld brackets that bolt to the firewall to hold the hinges without inner fenders.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
DaddyOh

Looking at it, you should be able to make a simple bracket that would bolt to the firewall, using the existing upper holes as 'locators'. I'd think about a backing doubler since you have a lot of leveraged weight of the hood.

It would be easy enough to rethink it to add a tension shock or use the spring you already have...

simple bracket idea

Old 11-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #7
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

^Basically what I had to end up doing. But I will offer a little advice from working mine out (and they aren't finished yet either). The firewall isn't 100% flat under where a full bracket bolts up, so 4-bolt square bases won't fit the best. If you use the two top bolt holes, you can make a t-bone shaped base that uses a 3rd stock (unthreaded) firewall hole.

The surface where you bolt the hinge isn't plumb either, its actually canted a very small amount. If you make it perfectly plump, the hinges will try to bow it slightly with their "knee" action.

And you will most likely want to box the open side. Mine is setup like that (just flat stock, not drilled/relieved) and the weight of the hood is far enough away from the firewall that the very end can experience some flex. Boxing that piece takes that problem away (and saves you from having to go to a thicker stock) as well as giving you a place to start a gas-assist or spring-assist since these relocations generally lose that feature.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:02 PM   #8
creep
Registered Loser

Before the PB hinges came out I was thinking of trying hinges from something different. I believe the late 50's Chevy truck hinges mount to the firewall and I was even scoping out some F*** Exploder hinges that mount to the firewall too. I doubt the Exploder hinges would handle such a heavy hood though.

'63 GMC lwb, 383, th350, lays frame, genuine patina.
The Build Thread - http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=374267
'88 Astro cargo bagged, shaved, phantom grille. *SOLD*
'50 Chevy 2 door sedan awaiting attention.
2014 Silverado Ext cab, 5.3, daily driver.
creep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:55 PM   #9
Kyle@FTP

I am in the same boat right now. Full PB Build for a customer and he doesn't want to spend the money on hinges, cut the truck up that much or wait 8 weeks. It is awesome to see what Nate has created and Im truly happy for him, plus he is one of the nicest guys in the industry. But a simpler option would be nice as well.

Daddy oh, I like the concept. its something I have been toying with. Maybe I need to pull the trigger and make a prototype set.
Kyle@FTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #10
DaddyOh

have a few things being lasered...
Old 11-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle@FTP View Post
I am in the same boat right now. Full PB Build for a customer and he doesn't want to spend the money on hinges, cut the truck up that much or wait 8 weeks. It is awesome to see what Nate has created and Im truly happy for him, plus he is one of the nicest guys in the industry. But a simpler option would be nice as well.

Daddy oh, I like the concept. its something I have been toying with. Maybe I need to pull the trigger and make a prototype set.
Kyle take a look at my build and you can see my temp'd up set right now. I have to clean up the edges and finish boxing, but it does work 100%, no cutting anything.