The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2004, 11:09 PM   #1
hrc200x

Installed new clutch, adjuster is almost all the way in?

Here is the story:

Truck is a '84 GMC 3/4 ton 2wd, was a diesel, now 350, manual 4 speed. Has around 500,000 miles on it, speedo goes the extra digit to proove it too.

I drove it all last summer until when the clutch peddle was out idleing in neutral or even going down the road in any gear it would make a very loud clicking/banging noise. IF I rested my foot on the peddle pushing it in maybe a inch it would stop the noise, then it seemed that after it got warm when the clutch was pushed all the way to the floor it would make the same noise, plus would still do it when the peddle didn't have my foot on it. I pin pointed the noise comming from the where the threaded rod by the tranny pushes on the arm that goes in to the tranny. Where those two pieces come together is where the noise was comming from. So I adjusted the threaded thing in some figuring the arm had too much slack in it. It would be fine for awhile, then it would start doing it again. The clutch seems to grab fine and not slip at all. It does have a little chatter when I let it out in 2nd gear. I believe I have all the springs in the correct spot, there is one from the arm into the tranny to the frame, this one is probably a foot long, then there is a short one, maybe 2-3 inches that connects the lever into the tranny to the arm the threaded thing goes into. This short one seems like it would be pulling the two pieces that were causing my noise together right?

Update: Saturday I installed a new clutch and throw out bearing, just going back and forth in the yard it seems to have fixed it ( no insurance to take it on the highway), but the threaded aduster rod I talked about earlier is almost all the way in? I figured with a new clutch it would be the opposite? Now it seems like I have hardly any adjustment for when the time comes to adjust it?

One more thing, when the tranny was out I felt the input shaft for play, and it did have some side to side, but none in and out. Is this normal or is a bearing inside the tranny going bad? I also felt a 4x4 4 speed tranny that was out for play and it had a little too.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:40 AM   #2
beaterC10

The reason you are out of travel on the adjuster may be wear in the linkage or a flywheel that is getting too short from being resurfaced. I ran into a similar situation on a 66 Chevy truck.

Dave
beaterC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 11:18 AM   #3
PHOENIX

When you did the clutch job did you have the flywheel resurfaced?
If so they would tell you if its too thin (out of spec).
Resurfacing the flywheel ($15-30) is very important when doing a clutch job!

When you installed the clutch you used an alignment tool to hold the disc while you tightened up the pressure plate right?

When you did the clutch job did you check the fork and pivot ball for the fork?
That pivot ball will wear down and cause issues.
It is cheap to replace and easy if doing a clutch job.

Last time I did my clutch I eliminated the spring under the dash and one of the springs from the linkage. I only have the one spring now from the linkage to the frame and everything works better and the pedal isnt as hard to push. The spring I used is not a replacment spring though, its stronger, not sure where I got it.

One last thought:
Are you sure you have the right clutch? If the pressure plate or throw out bearing are wrong you could have this problem.

Last edited by PHOENIX; 02-24-2004 at 11:20 AM.
PHOENIX is offline   Reply With Quote