The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #26
leddzepp

Re: Hot Start Solution fo my Truck

A thermal wrap around the solenoid/starter eliminated my hot start issues with an OEM starter. I've never had that problem with a mini starter.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:21 PM   #27
davepl

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
A thermal wrap around the solenoid/starter eliminated my hot start issues with an OEM starter. I've never had that problem with a mini starter.
In both cases that is because keeping the starter temp down, or using a gear reduction with less contact surface, both serve to reduce the voltage needed to fire off the solenoid so will "crutch" a marginal solenoid wire circuit.

Your grandpa's purple solenoid wire in his '63 Biscayne Four Door always worked because no one monkeyed with it, cut it, or otherwise compromised it. Otherwise GM would have had a rash of warranty work every time it got hot in the South.

I'm talking about stock setups; I'm sure it's possible to cook a starter enough with headers that some insulation is required.

I don't think the starter-to-block ground is a common problem, as once you managed to get the solenoid to fire you'd still have a marginal starter ground so it'd crank slowly best case.
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:48 PM   #28
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleszkie View Post
So help me out here. When I installed my remote solinoid way back when, I also installed a jumper strap between the starter motor and GM solinoid. It was my understanding that this jumper bypassed the GM solinoid. So why are some people claiming that using a remote solinoid is still effectively using the GM solinoid? I don't think that is and acccurate statement.
Look inside a GM starter. It is not physically possible to bypass the solenoid in any way, shape or form, because it uses electromagnetism from the current drawn to operate the pull in winding, which pulls in a plunger, that gets held in place by the hold-in winding. That plunger is attached to an arm, which engages the drive gear into mesh.

I just tore down a reman two weeks ago, they haven't changed yet.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:04 PM   #29
Andy4639
Old member

Lets put this in easy to understand terms.

All the solenoid does is move the small purple GM starter wire to the new solenoid and uses a bigger heavy duty cable to feed the GM starter and jumper the small "S" terminal on the GM starter to engage it.
You are not bypassing anything.
This is how all newer vehicles are wired now form the factory except they use relays instead of the solenoids.
I bet you could use a 50 amp relay like for a fan motor and do the same thing.
When you think about it it's just like the relay kits for your head lights. Your taking the load off the main electrical system and using relays are in this case a solenoid.
Both are serving the same purpose as a electrical ON/OFF switch for the circuit.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/148...-no-start-fix/

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:26 PM   #30
cleszkie

Well I certainly appreciate all of the knowledge. I guess I never put that much thought into it. I fixed my heat soak problem with a remote soliniod ages ago and moved on to the next project.
cleszkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #31
leddzepp

Quote:
Well I certainly appreciate all of the knowledge. I guess I never put that much thought into it. I fixed my heat soak problem with a remote soliniod ages ago and moved on to the next project.
X2. I fixed the problem and moved on. There are many ways to solve an issue, as long as the end results are the same it's a success.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 09:57 PM   #32
leftybass209

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
X2. I fixed the problem and moved on. There are many ways to solve an issue, as long as the end results are the same it's a success.
I agree. Everyone has things they're passionate about, and I think it's great. It gives me the opportunity to learn about something, every time someone goes off on one of their passionate subjects.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote