The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-24-2015, 10:52 AM   #1
cobraffr

1948 Chassis needs a new home!

I have had this posted in the classified section for about a month without any interest.

Any thoughts on how to find this thing a new home? I'm not trying to make a big profit or anything. Is my pricing out of line? I would really like to have my parking space back in the garage now that this truck project is taking up two spaces.

Link to classified ad on this forum:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686479

More Pictures available here:
http://www.torresbrothers.com/index....egory&catid=69

1948 Chevy truck chassis for sale. I am asking $1,500.

It is located in Cypress, Texas 77433 just outside of Houston. I will provide a bill of sale, but it does not come with a title. It started as a complete truck with a title, but I am putting the cab and bed on a different chassis and will be using the title for that vehicle.

This chassis should be a direct swap for any 1947 or 1948 Chevy truck. The 1949 to 1953 trucks are similar but the gas tank location and cab mounts are different.

Includes everything show in the pictures:
Complete frame
6 cylinder Engine (runs)
Manual Transmission
Rear Axle
Front & Rear Suspension
Lever action shocks
Tires and Rims (Tires are in poor condition, but will hold air)
...and any other parts on the chassis shown in the pictures

The chassis was restored by the previous owner and the engine starts and runs. The carburetor does need to be cleaned and rebuilt.

Here is a link to a video of the engine running:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ra6GVySkVY

Many chassis parts are new or have been powder coated. This be a great starting point for somebody doing a restoration since most of the work on the frame and drive train is done.

If you have a question post it on the thread or send me a message.

Donny Torres
cobraffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: 1948 Chassis needs a new home!

The price seems high to me but I don't need it, if some one needed it then it may be reasonable. Your main problem is you have a very narrow market that could be a buyer. Only 47 48 that are going to do a stock restoration. Not a lot of that going on in Houston. This board is more resto mod you may want to try www.stovebolt.com and start at $800.

I see it as an engine/trans that may need rebuild $300 only because it runs and is complete
Front axle $75
Gas tank $100
Shocks $25
The rest as nice as it is, iron price
But again I don't need it.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #3
_Ogre

dwcsr is a lot more generous than ogre
the restorers on this forum already have frames under their trucks, the rest don't need it
other than the easily shipped parts, ie shocks, carb, it basically worth scrap value
if you want your parking spot back, lower your price to $300
but, like dwcsr i don't need one either

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #4
MARTINSR

Wish it were closer, poor thing.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
mr48chev

Makes me wonder that if it is 1500 bucks worth of good why would anyone pull it out of his truck to put in a worn out chassis from a mini truck in it. Now if you put a complete Morrison chassis under the truck that's different.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Makes me wonder that if it is 1500 bucks worth of good why would anyone pull it out of his truck to put in a worn out chassis from a mini truck in it. Now if you put a complete Morrison chassis under the truck that's different.
Because you can't drive a car with drum brakes on "modern highways."

Brian

Old 11-24-2015, 06:27 PM   #7
Purcell69

The frames on these trucks are pretty stout, but if I were looking to sell one, being a southern truck is a plus. You may try Craigslist in the rust belt states. You might be able to find a legitimate buyer there who is willing to make a drive to haul it home. Don't expect it to go away quickly, because as others have pointed out, your market is a niche. There is a good foundation for the right buyer. The trouble will be finding him or her.

-Joe
Old 11-25-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Old Crow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
Because you can't drive a car with drum brakes on "modern highways."

Brian
I hope you're being sarcastic.
Otherwise, I'll never get home from work today.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
cobraffr

Thanks for the feedback.

I had it on eBay and it bid up to around $700. Sounds like that is market rate.

I am using an aftermarket chassis similar to Art Morrison. The Art Morrison chassis sat too low for me and has more of the street rod look. I went with Progressive Automotive out of Ohio. Stock ride height, 4 wheel disc brakes, coil over suspension and rack and pinion steering.

On the drum brakes issue, I have an old station wagon with 4 wheel drum brakes and I drive it on the freeway. Just need to leave space and no tailgating.

I have it on Craigslist as well but will try the stovebolt website.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
tiddlar

You try the stove bolt forums? That's a ganga imo. I sold my chassis and engine separate. Got 700 for engine and don't remember for chassis. Had a ton of parts. Have you tried Craig's?
tiddlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:07 PM   #11
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Crow View Post
I hope you're being sarcastic.
Otherwise, I'll never get home from work today.
Yes I am being sarcastic, Mr48 knows me. I drive a friggin stock 59 Rambler every day with 1.5x9" drum brakes that don't even have self adjusters and oh the horrors a single reservoir master cylinder!

No, I hate seeing the frames changed over, I don't get it.

That frame there I would by RIGHT NOW for my truck if I saw that in my area.

Brian

Old 11-25-2015, 01:19 PM   #12
MARTINSR

I have said it over and over but I have to give my disclaimer.

I know we are all different, but I believe way too many of these frame swaps are done by people who never even drove the stock truck and are under the belief that you can't drive them because they are unsafe which is not the fact. Other than a crazy old car from the 20's that has a top speed of 35 most all old cars can be driven on any road in America, remember, the roads weren't made yesterday, they were made back when that old car was new!

I drive old cars because I like to drive old cars, they are fun, they are different, they have a personality. If I want to drive a car that feels like a modern car I will drive my wife's mini van.

It's just opinion, I know we have different ones.

Brian

Old 11-25-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
Advanced Design

I wonder if there would have been more potential buyers restoring one of these trucks 25 or 30 years ago?

It seems the right person would jump on this.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #14
cobraffr

With all the frame swap comments, I want to provide a little background on my situation. I am building this truck for my wife to drive. I have several cars that are manual transmission, carbureted, no power brakes, no power steering and no AC. She will drive them to car shows with me, but doesn't always enjoy it. This truck is being built to her specs. The best way for me to achieve that was with a chassis swap. I would go flat back but she wants light blue!

The great part about this hobby is that there are tons of different options and styles. None of them are right or wrong they are just built to taste.

My goal here is to pass this chassis along to somebody doing a stock restoration for a fair price. This is not a hobby that will turn a profit unless you are very lucky a find a unique vehicle.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:12 PM   #15
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraffr View Post
With all the frame swap comments, I want to provide a little background on my situation. I am building this truck for my wife to drive. I have several cars that are manual transmission, carbureted, no power brakes, no power steering and no AC. She will drive them to car shows with me, but doesn't always enjoy it. This truck is being built to her specs. The best way for me to achieve that was with a chassis swap. I would go flat back but she wants light blue!

The great part about this hobby is that there are tons of different options and styles. None of them are right or wrong they are just built to taste.

My goal here is to pass this chassis along to somebody doing a stock restoration for a fair price. This is not a hobby that will turn a profit unless you are very lucky a find a unique vehicle.
Right on! Like I said, there are different opinions, some don't make sense quite frankly. Yours does, it makes perfect sense.

Brian

Old 11-25-2015, 11:13 PM   #16
Ricos54

I'm in CA and a friend of mine bought close to the same setup (1954 setup) and paid $600, hope that helps
Ricos54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 12:46 PM   #17
crossfire84

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.

I had it on eBay and it bid up to around $700. Sounds like that is market rate.

I am using an aftermarket chassis similar to Art Morrison. The Art Morrison chassis sat too low for me and has more of the street rod look. I went with Progressive Automotive out of Ohio. Stock ride height, 4 wheel disc brakes, coil over suspension and rack and pinion steering.

On the drum brakes issue, I have an old station wagon with 4 wheel drum brakes and I drive it on the freeway. Just need to leave space and no tailgating.

I have it on Craigslist as well but will try the stovebolt website.
Bid to $700? take it!
C4 rear
Porter built a arms
Never give the Devil a ride,because he'll want to Drive!
crossfire84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #18
dubds10
Stalker Nate

I would've been thrilled with $700 for it lol Sell it while you can or wait a long time.

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 02:58 PM   #19
Advanced Design

Cobraffr, do you have a build thread anywhere for the truck? Guessing it is pretty nice based on how this chassis looks.

Maybe I am way off here though I was thinking that would look really cool standing up against my shop wall. Be an interesting show and tell piece.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:27 AM   #20
Big Daddy Bear

Quote:

Happy wife = Happy life!!!

Big Daddy Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:09 AM   #21
YukonXL04

Really 700-1000 I think would be great. I have a good frame and suspension, but to rebuild all the steering and clean all the rust off everything, I would happily buy this to make things easier.

I agree with trying to sell it in the rust belt somewhere. Im betting someone would drive to pick this up!
YukonXL04 is offline   Reply With Quote