The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #1
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

How did you polish your trim, and how crappy is reproduction trim?

I'm at the stage of putting the trim back on my crew cab project. It is mostly in decent shape but just kinda nasty. I would like to Polish it up but haven't really found anything that works good with my bit of experimentation. What method did you do and how did it work?

Secondarily, some pieces need replaces. I have heard the aftermarket trim is crap. How crap is crap? What is bad about it? Should I just take it off the table as an option? Or is it really not that terrible ?

Last, what kind of double sided tape should I use for all the pads where they stick to the body?

Thank you for any advice!
Old 12-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
TKCR

Re: How did you polish your trim, and how crappy is reproduction trim?

I used Brasso on mine. I got another set of cab trim off an 84 in a salvage yard this past summer. No dents in it whatsoever, just needed a good cleaning & polishing. It looked almost brand new.
Attached Images

TKCR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

I wish I could help you on the upper and lower mouldings. I've asked and not got much feed back either. I need all the upper and lowers for my 76 and was planning on buying it all new from LMC but am hesitant to do so for the same concerns you have.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:28 PM   #4
Breeze454

I had the same question about repro trim myself. I've used the LMC stuff on my truck and it's not comparable to factory. It's "soft", bends easily, looks wavy after you press it on. The double sided tape they use is garbage, I've had to remove some of it and replace it with 3M emblem tape to get it to stay put. The clips and nuts are pathetic, the nuts won't cut threads in the studs, the clips are just cheap. That being said, my trim was toast and needed replacing so it was my only option. Looks way better than it did before, nice and bright, hopefully it will stay that way. I would recommend salvaging all of the factory clips you can and reuse those, makes life much easier.
Breeze454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:55 PM   #5
1774btcrew

The used trim isn't bad to polish back up. If you can get the clear anodizing off, it will polish up pretty easily. That being said, once you DO strip the anodizing off it is a maintenance thing and will have to be kept polished.

1972 Cheyenne Super Short Bed big block "Blackie"
1977 Crew Cab GMC Short bed with 4BT Intercooled Cummins Diesel and a 4L80e "The Junkyard Dog"
1985 Crew Cab Chevy dually with 5.9 Cummins "The Big Dog" This is what my dad liked to be called by the grandkids before he passed so it seems fitting for his old truck.
1774btcrew is offline   Reply With Quote