The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
Merican68C10

1968 C10 Newbie...Lost Need Help w/Frame-Off Project

First and foremost I'd like to say all of you here have a good thing going with this site! LOTS of information here (almost too much to try and take in, lol)!

I'm new to the site and also to owning a 1968 C10 (Originally a GMC leaf spring C10). When I bought the truck this summer I thought...."change a few things and ride it to cruise night!".....in reality drove it 5 miles and now have tore it down to it's last nut to perform my first "frame off"! LOL Why do guys do that?!

I've tried to read through all of the overwhelming data on this forum among others and am exhausted. There's too much to take in it feels!

What I currently have:

*1968 C10 (Originally a GMC V8/Rear Leaf Setup) now Chevy front end and tailgate. Suspension still same. I just tore down truck entirely and am literally starting from ground up, just sandblasted and painted the OE frame and front cross member last week and now want to start with front suspension (disc conversion, rims and lowering kit).

1. I currently have 17x8 (5" backspace) front rims and 17x9 (5" backspace) rear rims (5x5 Lug) that I would like to use for the project.

2. I currently have a Power Booster and Proportional Valve for front disc/rear drum setup.

What I'm looking to do:

1. Convert front 6-lug drum to 5-Lug Disc (5x5 Bolt Pattern)

2. Lower truck (4.5 Front/5-6 Rear) Was thinking: 2.5" drop spindles & 2" lowering springs in front/ either flip kit and shackles in back on Dana or GM. Would like as low as I can go without wheel rub or c-notching of frame. Nice static drop 3.5/5 or 4.5/6 ish!

3. Convert rear Dana 44 Splicer 6-Lug Drum to 5-Lug Drum (5x5 Bolt Pattern) or replace with GM 12-Bolt drum or disc

I have looked into Performance Online.com and CPP.com however am not sure what kit to get for the front suspension. I don't mind spending more money as long as the setup is better! On the flip side I don't want to just throw money out the window on a truck that will just be doing some burn outs and cruise nights!

I'm completely lost when it comes to this and am afraid of ordering the wrong components time and time again. Would like to buy right from the start. Any advice would be great and very appreciated! I thank all of you in advance that "dare to care" lol!
Merican68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
72LSK10

Re: 1968 C10 Newbie...Lost Need Help w/Frame-Off Project

Glad to hear that another frame off is under way, I'm heavily into the 4x4's but I have lowered my share of C-10's, Tahoe's and Burbans. When I've ran 4"-6" drops in the rear, I've always had to c-notch the frames. Good luck with your truck, I love the way they look when they have a real low static drop. Make sure to post pics of the progress.
72LSK10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:10 PM   #3
Nsanehotrodz

When you get to the body give us a call ! We will be glad to help ! In the meantime check us out on the web @ www.nsanehotrodz.com
Tennessee's #1 HotRod Shop!
Nsanehotrodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:16 PM   #4
New_70'C10

Sounds great that you're tackling such a huge project. Hope to do the same to mine soon. We need pictures of what all you've got going on there even if it is already down to the last nut.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Was the Dana 44 swapped into the GMC C15 frame by a Previous Owner? Are you sure it's a Dana 44. Kind of an odd rear end to be used for a rear axle in one of these trucks.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #6
kingstrider

Hmm for some reason the photos are not loading.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:32 AM   #7
Merican68C10

Nsanehotrodz.....currently my sheetmetal is already all new! But I will keep you guys in mind for future!

GASoline1....no the Dana 44 is original to the truck. It's not at all an odd rear end for these types of trucks! Keep in mind my truck started as a 1968 GMC C10 1/2Ton w/LEAF SPRING setup. The Dana 44 was the only option for a rearend on my truck. So I'm either looking to axle flip and disc convert it or a GM 12 bolt from a later year.

Now that we are mentioning rear ends....does anyone know if a 1965 C10 12-Bolt rear end have the same track width as my 1968? I know I can use a 1971-Up however can I use a 1966-Down?

Anyone running a CPP lowering kit on their SWB?

So far only pic I have is of the frame after I sandblasted it and sprayed it gloss black. Not bad for an amateur! I had my brother cut out the rear crossmember/driveshaft saftey loop to accept large exhaust when I get to that point.
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2015, 09:26 AM   #8
Grumpy old man

Have you X ed out the frame measurements yet it could be the picture but that drivers side frame rail looks shifted back .Now would be the time to square it back out .?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merican68C10 View Post
GASoline1....no the Dana 44 is original to the truck. It's not at all an odd rear end for these types of trucks! Keep in mind my truck started as a 1968 GMC C10 1/2Ton w/LEAF SPRING setup. The Dana 44 was the only option for a rearend on my truck. So I'm either looking to axle flip and disc convert it or a GM 12 bolt from a later year.
I have a 1972 GMC C1500 with factory leaf springs with a factory 12 bolt. I don't know about the D44 being the ONLY rear end available for a GMC C1500 with leaf springs in 1968, but after I did a little research... they were available.

One thing about these old rigs is that I'm always learning something new about them!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #10
Grumpy old man

Yeah , After looking at your pictures your frames tweaked . anyone else see a problem ?
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:46 PM   #11
kehstr

That paint looks so good i thought it was a fresh powdercoating
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:21 PM   #12
mild68

Hi there, Merican68C10. I'm new here too. Your right there is lots of info on this board. Quite a bit of info to take in, especially sorting it all out to know your truck.

I'm new to these trucks. I have work on several different projects before. I like to do something different instead of the same old vehicles. I just bought a 68 C10 in Florida about two weeks ago. I live in Normal, about 90 miles from you, I have to go back in a couple weeks to bring it back home.
I'm going to strip it down to the bare frame, clean, paint and reassemble. Disc brakes, lowered suspension an 5.3 swap are my goals.
Good luck with your project. I have fam n friends in Joliet and get there often. I would like to meet you and see your project sometime.
I found another guy in P'field that is building one of these trucks too. This is a link to his build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=661529
mild68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 12:51 AM   #13
Merican68C10

mild68 - I would like to meet up as well! I purchased and drove my '68 down from Detroit! Body was pretty much all new, ran and drove very nice but I had to tear her down! Good luck with your build as well....maybe we will learn together!
Old 12-13-2015, 12:59 AM   #14
Merican68C10

kehstr - thank you...I didn't think it turned out bad either!

GrumpyOldMan - not sure what you're seeing but according to all of the diamond measurements we took before paint the frame was square at every part. The pass. side front horn was slightly bent however has been corrected and re measured. In the picture keep in mind my jack stands are not level or even at the same height also it's an optical illusion because of how I took the picture.

Curious what it is you see in the picture though?

GASoline71 - You're probably correct as to the Dana 44 not being the "only" rearend offered for my year truck but from what I've read up on it was the majority with my leaf rear end in 1968...I guess "most" 1968 Chevy were coil springs in the rear from what I've been told and had a 12-bolt.

So does anyone if I can use an earlier 12-bolt from a 1965 C10? I'm wondering if the track width would be around 60" which I believe is where mine is. I see guys use later 12bolts in early trucks so I'm not sure why I couldn't cut off/weld new pads on an early rearend and flip it?

Are most of you guys running an actual big name "disc kit" or are you just grabbing 73-87 front end parts?
Old 12-13-2015, 01:18 AM   #15
68bowtie

i would assume the mid 60's rear would work because most chassis parts were the same 63-72 (frame, suspension, etc).

i don't know from personal experience, but i hear a lot of guys like the ECE 4/6 drop kit.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 01:28 AM   #16
Merican68C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
i would assume the mid 60's rear would work because most chassis parts were the same 63-72 (frame, suspension, etc).

i don't know from personal experience, but i hear a lot of guys like the ECE 4/6 drop kit.
Cool I appreciate the info bud! I've been looking at that drop kit along with a CPP which I hear great things on both. I know my rear kit is going to be diff from most because of the leafs.

Also as for the 65 rearend that's what I assumed too!