The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
tommy217xxx

Sm465 issue

Hey everyone, my truck has an sm465 4 speed in it. Sometimes when I try to put the truck in reverse it seems like something is stuck. Meaning I can't get it to go into neutral or any other gear. When I release the clutch the truck stalls. When I try to let out the clutch and give it gas the truck doesn't move at all. I've noticed when I'm coming in to back her in, if I go right into neutral then into reverse theres no problem but if I go from first or second into reverse that's when it feels like somethings stuck. It almost feels like it's not releasing the gear and going into neutral. When the issue happens I try to move the gear shift to the neutral position and give it a side to side shake and nothin. Eventually the truck will go into gear but it can take a while.

Sorry for the long explanation because I'm not really sure how to describe the problem.

76 gmc 1500 swb patina finish
Dropped 4/5, 350/4 speed

80 Chevy c10 lwb
305/350
tommy217xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Sm465 issue

I don't know, but on my SM465 a bad clutch accounted for most of my shifting problems. Do you know that you have a good clutch?
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 02:32 PM   #3
tommy217xxx

I bought the truck about 4 months ago and the guy I got it from said he put a new clutch in it. I'm gonna put it on the lift and look at it. This trans has given me problems since I got the truck. I might look for something else.

76 gmc 1500 swb patina finish
Dropped 4/5, 350/4 speed

80 Chevy c10 lwb
305/350
tommy217xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

Unless you don't like the truck, I would do some investigation on the clutch and transmission.

SM465s are not smooth shifting transmissions (relative to later model manual transmissions) but the they are very durable. Most transmission guys I have talked to said they rarely need to rebuild a SM465. My PTO coves leak a little fluid, so I will need to replace the gaskets at some point. Have you checked the fluid level in your transmission?

First gear is usually a bit difficult to engage (I was told it is sqaure cut, not syncromesh) and reverse sometimes requires letting the clutch out in neutral prior to engaging (double clutching) on my truck. Also, there is no overdrive gear, so fuel economy will not match a 5 speed (I do have a gear vendor installed by the PO of my truck, so that accomplishes and overdrive for me.)
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote