The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2015, 02:14 AM   #26
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Warn Lock-O-Matic Hubs

^^ Broken part.... so are you talking about the dualmatic hubs (post #20) or the Warn Lock-O-Matics (post #14)?

I'm not familiar with dualmatics but if yours broke, and the guy in post #20 had a broken one, I would not use them. They sound prone to breaking.

Warn hubs are well made and are a worthwhile upgrade. Their Lock-O-Matic hubs are not terribly common, though.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:45 AM   #27
special-K
Special Order

I guess they all can break. The reason I have those hubs in that picture I showed was due to one breaking, bought a new pair, broke one of those, and didn't want to keep buying pairs of hubs that cost 3x what the cheapest ones were if I was going to keep breaking them. I got some no name el cheapos from JC Whitney and those never gave a problem.
I think the problem was the automatic position is weak and should only use it for a quick engage when all it takes is getting out of the spot you're in. You know, those times when it truly is inconvenient to get out and lock them in, just to move 5' and take them back out. But I was young and had spent enough money and couldn't afford to test my theory. It makes sense, though. The Loc-O-Matics operation sticker states "For compression braking and heavy loads use manual position". In other words, when higher amounts of torque are placed on these hubs they can break. I figure the smaller parts that make the auto setting work are by-passed or tied-in solid with direct engagement. I never analyzed how they work (I should). Figure, they say the GM automatics are weak. But, for a vintage hub for a classic truck it's cool to have hubs that were ahead of their time. There was no automatic to it in 4wds. GM only started putting TH350s in trucks in '70 and warn had these hubs before GM came out with full-time 4wd. I'm sure these hubs are great in lock position, they stand out as a quality vintage accessory (although not "Hickeys" ), which gives major cool factor.
I noticed one of the Dualmatics I'm putting on my '72 isn't actuating (off the truck still). I need to break it down and see what's up. I took the other side apart to paint and just see what's up and there's not much to it. When I go to put it back together I'll see just how they function. Then I'll get into the other side. I'm wondering if I'll find what I'm seeing here in these pictures. I didn't see much of any other thing involved to break

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:28 PM   #28
hkopp

I have the Dualomatics, and I had the same broken cam back in the 90's that took a while to find NOS replacements for it. They havent broke since, but most of those years the truck has been parked. I hadnt known the history of these hubs when I posted this, but I asked my father for more history on my truck and he said he had never had an issue with them...but every winter the truck was pulled into the shop and everything was greased and replaced as needed. It was driven so hard that maintenance was a huge priority. I guess that's the key to anything lasting.. lol.

I dont see many of them on the forum, or in my web searches either. I was curious if they were an uncommon hub, or disliked for certain reasons. After only seeing one other having the same broke cam (which is pot metal like) and knowing the abuse the truck went thru on our steep dryfarm for 30 yrs I dont see them as a cheap part. That doesnt mean that they work well for others just because they dont break.
hkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:24 AM   #29
special-K
Special Order

I keep my trucks well maintained. I service the front axles every fall. The second hub broke when it was new.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote