The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-05-2015, 09:24 PM   #1
Stang Guy

Power lock kit and a/c recommendation

Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation for a power lock kit for a 72 suburban and an aftermarket a/c kit. The power lock kit would preferably have 3 solenoids. Aftermarket a/c kit looking for recommendation on quality and reliability.

Thanks,
Stang Guy
Stang Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:23 PM   #2
Advanced Design

Re: Power lock kit and a/c recommendation

Hi Stang Guy,

My 72 Suburban has Vintage Air which works really well. Also have Vintage Air in our 56 Chevy and have been pleased with the performance.

Haven't had any experience with the power lock kits so I am no help there.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #3
highwinger

I have Old Air Products front AC & factory rear. Most others will be Vintage. I have an AC thread here.

I have door poppers, so I don't know about unlocks. However, the poppers I use are made from unlock actuators, for what's that's worth.
highwinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:35 PM   #4
infinite-foamies

Depends what you want to spend. You can get 4 door lock actuators for about $30(gives you one for the hatch) and a control unit for about $50. Im designing a custom circuit to control the lock/unlock and also work with my alarm.

As for a/c I have heard mixed stories about the vintage air if you dont have a rear a/c and also I cant insulate most of my suburban so I am working on a custom install. Found a modern r134a evap core that fits in the factory housing(I also cant use the vintageair housing because of space) and am using a comglomorate of parts for the rest of the system. May or maynot do a rear a/c we will see how this system works.
infinite-foamies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
WH0DAMAN

I researched A/C kits quite a bit and narrowed my selection down to Vintage Air and Restomod Air. I spoke in depth with both of these companies at this years SEMA show and after actually putting my hands on both of these products I decided to go with Restomod Air. It is more expensive but you get what you pay for! Their controllers and vents were waaaaaaay cooler (excuse the pun). Restomod fits my build since it is a completely custom truck and I thought Vintage Airs products looked cheap.

My 70 Chevy Suburban build:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=574056&page=3
WH0DAMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #6
BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4

I installed the Vintage Air Gen IV system in my "non" AC Suburban. Installation was pretty clean and straightforward. Performance is decent for the riders in the front seat but without any insulation heat or AC does not make it to the passengers in back seats. Also on really cold days I need to have defrost on full blast to keep the windshield clear. If I switch to dash or feet vents the windows almost instantly fogs up. Insulation might help with that too. Keep in mind I have nothing but sheet metal between me and the outside world. (rubber mat on floor and no headliner) so your performance might vary ;-)

Oh, although the kit frees up space in your engine compartment, you can kiss your glovebox goodbye!

Hope this helps!
Brian
Attached Images

BK72BURB_3/4Ton4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote