The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-24-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
HellaciousA

Modifying a late model Silverado turbo kit to fit?

I've got a 70 c10 swb that I plan to run a 5.3 LM7 with a 4L80E and a single turbo. From what I've found, there are no existing turbo kits available to just drop right into these trucks.

Has anyone adapted a turbo kit for a 99-06 or 07-13 Silverado? On3, KBracing, and Trick Performance all have kits for the new trucks, which would route the downpipe down between the engine and the right frame rail, placing the turbo on the right side of the engine bay. Prices for those kits range anywhere from $1800 all the way to $4000+ depending on turbos, piping, wastegates, etc.

I've never built a turbo kit on my own, and I have very limited fabrication skills. I plan to learn how to weld soon, but it seems like it would be easier to modify one of those kits to fit than to start from scratch. I can throw a wrench no problem, and I'm willing to learn, but I'd like to hear from those that have possibly done this or made their own kit. With the variety of turbo manifolds, tubing, turbos, etc all available online, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to get something to perform nicely. I'm looking for 650-700 rwhp as well.
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Auto
HellaciousA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
beerformeplz

Re: Modifying a late model Silverado turbo kit to fit?

tagging along
beerformeplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

For your original question; IMO its not worth starting with a kit, as most of the kits would still require enough modification that you don't get ahead. The merge, downpipe, and boost piping are what usually need changes, and all those are the parts that require the most fab. If you can find a really good condition kit for cheap enough (I could go on about that part alone), then the manifolds, some of the tubing, and the hard parts like the turbo and WG can be used. I would feel your best bet is to look at buying a used set of truck-turbo-manifolds, buying a new turbo, and putting your kit together that way. You can buy some stuff like WB, BOV, used and save a tad there. You can get around most of the welding work on the cold side with one of the DIY tubing kits and good couplers.

You'll need to invest in the other supporting mods in the swap as well if you want it to be happy. Stock blocks can live a damn long time, but north of 600 you need to start watching a few things. Rod bolts are usually an upgrade candidate, ring gap can become an issue at higher boost pressures, might consider an upgraded oil pump and an oil cooler if the turbo is sharing the engine oil supply. Keep in mind, through a 4l80e 600rwhp is well north of 700 at the crank.

You'll need the fuel system to support it, a converter, plus all the valvetrain stuff. Dual springs, hardened p/r. I'd be running a boost cam as well if it were me. Oh, and of course a damn good tuner.

Now its plenty possible to build a 700hp junkyard turbo 5.3, keeping in mind that they aren't really designed to live long in that configuration. Those are fun because they can be treated almost disposable. The cheaper you want to do things, the more you need to be able to do yourself. If your not going to build it, I'd suggest staying away from the quick n dirty HP route.

Parts prices can swing all over...No matter what tho, the reality of it is that you don't be turboing for less than 4k (absolute minimum doing some of it yourself), but more likely around 6500-8k. Fully outfitted, around 10k. Fully done, shop built and tuned, 10-14k depending on the parts. I've seen them done for under $1k (junkyard DIY), and more than $25k for balls out setups.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 10:43 PM   #4
Heavymetl

This's thread has some relevant discussion.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=689643
Moser 9" 3.25/4 wheel discs
11.16@121.07
Heavymetl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 01:04 AM   #5
HellaciousA

Thanks for the input. Reason I ask is it's easy to get caught up with so many posts where guys claim they spent under $5k and they've got a car putting down 700+ rwhp. I've been down the road of being a cheap ass trying to make good power and end up suffering in the long run.

I intend to build this truck right, one time. And I'm figuring I'll have close to 30k in it by the time it's completely done with drivetrain, bodywork/paint, engine, etc. My truck is currently stripped down to a bare frame and cab, and I'm in the planning phase right now. I figured it may be worth a shot to look at one of the newer truck kits given the layout isn't far off from what I'd like to run.
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Auto
HellaciousA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:21 PM   #6
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaciousA View Post
it's easy to get caught up with so many posts where guys claim they spent under $5k and they've got a car putting down 700+ rwhp.
Context helps though. Some of us have thousands of dollars of parts lying around, from other builds, or traded to and from friends. Some folks have hookups...and yea, others embellish a bit.

As an example, since I have truck manifolds sitting on the shelf, and a motor thats already had work done; I could go buy some V-bands and tubing, get an Ebay intercooler, pickup a used BOVand WG, and have my guy get me a deal on a BW s480, and more or less be running for less than $3500...but its all the other stuff that I already have, and 100% diy fabbed, and not paying for dyno or tuning etc etc etc that makes that possible

Paying outright for everything, starting from 0 with the motor, and having someone else do the work is a huge factor.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 04:21 PM   #7
Jon01

FWIW, my final bill from the guy that did the fab work/fuel system install on my truck was ~6k. That's with me bringing him everything but pipe, i/c, WG and BOV.
10k at least with parts, especially if you don't cut corners.
Now, I took him the truck partially torn down and ready for him to start fabbing and picked it up 99% ready to go be tuned.
You could do it cheaper, T4, not ID injectors, single disc converter, mild steel tubing, not 1800hp fuel system, etc...BUT, if you're like me you'll be back in there chasing where you want to be and end up spending more than you would have in the first place.
71 SWB C10 - LQ4+S476r
06 Duramax - LBZ - Exhaust, EFI Live, etc...
Jon01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
akdg87

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaciousA View Post
I've got a 70 c10 swb that I plan to run a 5.3 LM7 with a 4L80E and a single turbo. From what I've found, there are no existing turbo kits available to just drop right into these trucks.

Has anyone adapted a turbo kit for a 99-06 or 07-13 Silverado? On3, KBracing, and Trick Performance all have kits for the new trucks, which would route the downpipe down between the engine and the right frame rail, placing the turbo on the right side of the engine bay. Prices for those kits range anywhere from $1800 all the way to $4000+ depending on turbos, piping, wastegates, etc.

I've never built a turbo kit on my own, and I have very limited fabrication skills. I plan to learn how to weld soon, but it seems like it would be easier to modify one of those kits to fit than to start from scratch. I can throw a wrench no problem, and I'm willing to learn, but I'd like to hear from those that have possibly done this or made their own kit. With the variety of turbo manifolds, tubing, turbos, etc all available online, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to get something to perform nicely. I'm looking for 650-700 rwhp as well.
I just inquired with kb racing about his ls turbo kits. He designed his first turbo kit for a 69 c10 with a turbo 5.3 (the build is on this site IIRC), he used a tbss manifold on the driver side for the clearance. He still sells them to work in that application you just need to let him know.

I currently have a turbo 5.3 in 55 cameo that is sitting on a c10 frame, but i like the log manifold better so i may upgrade to his hotside.
2009 CTSV Sedan
akdg87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
XwalkerX

I want to boost my l33 so bad and would LOVE a turbo kit made for the chassis but I can only fore-see myself going with a charger simply for the straight-forward install
XwalkerX is offline   Reply With Quote