The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
hkopp

Distance from dash to steering wheel...?

I upgraded my steering to power from an early 80's donor in the early 90's, but the steering wheel seems so much closer to me than it used to be. I cannot recall everything I had done, but I did use the later steering column (non tilt) with the ignition in the column.

Can someone with a 60-66 measure from the dash tip to the top of the steering wheel in the center? Mine measures 9". I read somewhere that I might need to shorten the column I am using, but I'd like an original starting point if someone can help me.

Thanks!
hkopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
frankslagoon

Re: Distance from dash to steering wheel...?

We will measure in the morning. maybe your just bigger than ya used ta be
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:30 AM   #3
hkopp

Well there is a lot of truth to that...ha! I had added the steering and a new custom seat at the same time, and parked it for 15 yrs shortly after that. It was a tight fit then and I wasnt sure if it was the new seat (bucket/bench/console) or a longer column...or both.

Thanks!
Old 12-30-2015, 10:29 AM   #4
65chevysub

I had a '72 tilt column put into my 65 Suburban and it's the same as my original. I was alsp able to use my original deluxe wheel on it, and the ignition switch is still in the dash.
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
'68 Newtricks

easiest thing to do would be to sink the column into the dash/firewall. It's maybe an hour job, doesn't ruin anything, reversable, and still "factory". Otherwise I'm of no help, I've already done this to my 67-72 column.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
frankslagoon

Ok here's what I got . I measured from the outside of the dash bezel in the pic. the seat is probably the issue. the seats are pretty thin. if your all cramped up on the paddles then the seat needs to come back or be thinner. The seats in my 63 are buckets, (late model grand prix I think. they measure 22 in from the back of the seat to the forward edge where your legs hang over. the bottom part is 18 in off available seat. I still got em pulled all the way back. the stock bench seat in the 70 is about the same measurements.
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2015, 06:11 PM   #7
WOLFMANmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankslagoon View Post
Ok here's what I got . I measured from the outside of the dash bezel in the pic. the seat is probably the issue. the seats are pretty thin. if your all cramped up on the paddles then the seat needs to come back or be thinner. The seats in my 63 are buckets, (late model grand prix I think. they measure 22 in from the back of the seat to the forward edge where your legs hang over. the bottom part is 18 in off available seat. I still got em pulled all the way back. the stock bench seat in the 70 is about the same measurements.
what in the heck is that on your shifter ? and what does it do ?
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:45 PM   #8
frankslagoon

Well that was the " first draft " for the O/D solineod switch. It looks a lot better now.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #9
hkopp

^ Looks like a 2 speed axle switch.

Thanks for the replies. My seat is 23" on the base, just an inch longer. Not sure what you mean by the 18" measurement. Here are some photos of my measurements...any chance someone can measure theirs based off of static common points such as the dash to the steering wheel, the rear of the seat floor to top of seat, front of the seat top to the floor, etc? Biggest one is the dash to steering wheel. My seat was too level, wasnt further up in the front and lower in the rear which made it sit odd. Here are some measurements of mine.