The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-31-2015, 03:40 AM   #1
62jimmy

Crosmember swapping question?

I am looking to swap the crossmember out in my 62 GMC to replace the torsion bar setup and get disc brakes, 5 lug etc. I bought one set up which the frame and crossmember turned out to be bent on, so I am back in the market. I have a line on a 65 crosmember/suspension setup. Since I'm going to use drop spindles, the fact that its six lug and not disc brake doesn't really matter as far as I know. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using this setup for the conversion rather than the later 73 to 87 setup? Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious.

Thanks,
Jeremy
62jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:43 PM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Crosmember swapping question?

The '65 crossmember will also work since you are going with dropped spindles. The thing I like about the '73-'87 C10 suspension is the rubber control arm bushings instead of the steel ones used '63-'72.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62jimmy View Post
I am looking to swap the crossmember out in my 62 GMC to replace the torsion bar setup and get disc brakes, 5 lug etc. I bought one set up which the frame and crossmember turned out to be bent on, so I am back in the market. I have a line on a 65 crosmember/suspension setup. Since I'm going to use drop spindles, the fact that its six lug and not disc brake doesn't really matter as far as I know. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using this setup for the conversion rather than the later 73 to 87 setup? Just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something obvious.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 02:52 AM   #3
62jimmy

Thanks for the response,

Can the steel bushings be replaced with the rubber ones, or are they a completely different design. I will be rebuilding the whole suspension before swapping it.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #4
dracko

The 73-87 control arm bushings are a totally different design. These crossmembers also have beefier U bolts holding the lower control arms.
dracko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:42 PM   #5
62jimmy

Thanks guys, I think I will hold out for the later setup...