The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2016, 10:23 PM   #1
chevy-fun

Quartz clock ?

Ok guys did the quartz clock only come in the silverados and high sierras? And through what's years???
chevy-fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 10:36 PM   #2
Zach079xxx

Re: Quartz clock ?

Not sure but my 85 Sierra classic has one
Thumpin' away
Zach079xxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 01:34 AM   #3
TKCR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy-fun View Post
Ok guys did the quartz clock only come in the silverados and high sierras? And through what's years???
I have an 86 Silverado. It didn't have a clock, but it does now. I added one about a year ago.
Attached Images

TKCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #4
Axle

My uncles 1980 Silverado Blazer had a clock (which I now have, the clock that is, everything around the instrument cluster rusted away).
My 1983 Silverado C10, and my 1981 High Sierra did not have clocks. Possibly its own standalone option.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:13 PM   #5
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
Possibly its own standalone option.
Yes, the clock located in the lower left corner of the instrument cluster was pretty much a stand alone option. It was RPO (Regular Production Option) code U35 and as far as I know was available throughout the entire 73 to 87(91) year range. Although the quartz version didn't appear until sometime around 1981. And the location of the adjustment stem changed from the 12 O'clock position to 8 O'clock around 1981 as well.

The clock was not available in the base warning light cluster though. So ordering the U35 clock option also meant ordering the RPO Z53 gauge cluster. Except in the YE9 upper trim level trucks (73-74 Cheyenne Super / Sierra Grande and 75+ Silverado / Sierra Classic) where the Z53 gauge cluster was already included.

Also, the clock wasn't available in the U16 tachometer cluster because it would conflict with the fuel gauge location. Although some folks have made their own clock/tach cluster using a medium duty truck tach with the fuel gauge built into the lower part of the tach face plate. And the U35 clock wasn't available in the later year trucks with the UM6 digital stereo since that already contained a clock.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #6
Liberty

My Silverado must have been a base model. Mine has no clock and from factory only had what I assume was an AM/FM radio (no radio on the SPID, plus the hole was too small for a factory tape deck) with no rear speakers. It has all the other Silverado features though.
Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:00 AM   #7
chevy-fun

Thank you Ray Mcavoy. Thats king of info i was looking for. Had a friend on facebook asking. An couldn't find info looking it up.
chevy-fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:11 PM   #8
ray_mcavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy-fun View Post
Thank you Ray Mcavoy. Thats king of info i was looking for. Had a friend on facebook asking. An couldn't find info looking it up.
You're welcome!

For future reference, this type of information about options, specifications, and more can often be found in the vehicle information kits that you can download from The GM Heritage Center.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote