The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-03-2016, 05:58 PM   #26
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Help with wheel size suggestion please - new truck

Do you know if your truck havs dropped spindles or they did it all with spring/spring cuts.

I am thinking if you have stock spindles, getting 2" drop springs for the front and 4" for the rear should give you clearance.

If you have dropped spindles than go with stock height springs and stock shocks. up front.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:02 PM   #27
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Here.
Go with these..

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #28
60chevyjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
Here.
Go with these..
those last big black rims look like they belong on a Honda , or some kind of late model transportation special .

the big rims that came on the green stepside truck look great .

I wish I had them on my black primer 65 rat truck.
but im happy with my old vintage 15 inch chrome reverse rims ..

Last edited by 60chevyjim; 01-03-2016 at 07:11 PM.
60chevyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:05 AM   #29
[JP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh1965 View Post
Jp like Bill's white truck mine is running two and a half drop spindles with two inch drop springs on the front the rear on mine has two inch drop springs with two inch drop blocks I may use another inch drop block on the rear as the shackles on the rear are long enough to add another inch if needed . If you need me to measure the ground clearance from the cross member to give you a better idea I can .

This picture should give you a good guide that and looking at the picture of Bill's truck

The rear note the rear shackles are long enough to add another inch
Hi, no need to measure but thanks, and thanks for those photos! the front spring looks about right for how much I want to lift the truck (looking at the space between the arms) I think I'm going with just the 2" drop springs with no drop spindles, I cant go too low or the tyres won't fit. plus the fact I cant spend the extra on the drop spindles.

I'm going to go with 2" drop on the front and 4" drop on the back, to be on the safe side..see if this cheaper option will allow for the 15's to go in.
then if it doesnt, I'll get some rims that will fit and have the correct backsapce, then if it looks too high I'll spend the money and get drop spindles plus drop blocks for the rear but for now seems like the cheaper option to start with and those springs need changing anyway..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Do you know if your truck havs dropped spindles or they did it all with spring/spring cuts.

I am thinking if you have stock spindles, getting 2" drop springs for the front and 4" for the rear should give you clearance.

If you have dropped spindles than go with stock height springs and stock shocks. up front.
I dont think it does have the drop spindles, the springs on the front are so short that I think it was just a cheap job to get it low.
[JP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:06 PM   #30
Mackie

If it's in your budget plan on rebuilding the front end completely. From the pics it needs serious looking after.
Upgrade to disc brakes, (power or manual) dual master cylinder and power steering. Go for dropped spindles (typical is 2.5"), unless the truck already has them, and stock height springs. Lowering springs bring compromises to ride quality. The lower the spring the more the ride suffers. This should give you enough clearance for the 15's you showed with Cooper Cobra tires.
Your truck has a cool look. It's a pretty well done Fauxtina or remotely, maybe, a real deal Salt Flats truck. Work on it over the winter and roll out a well mannered driver next spring.
Mackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:10 AM   #31
[JP]

Thanks! Im not sure if its faux patina, most of it is proper rust, all crusty etc.. the whole front end, bumper etc, is proper cursty with the paint peeling off and rusted bolts everywhere.

No, I dont plan on rebuilding the whole front end and I dont plan on converting to disc brakes, I'll keep the drum brakes, for my intended use those brakes will sufice as I wont be racing it around... its almost like with one of my harleys where I only run a rear brake and been doing so for years, just ride slower, dont take chances and enjoy the ride.

In regards to the drop spindles, how can I find out? I took this photo yesterday, does it help?

Old 01-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #32
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

If you have the drum brakes, you have stock spindles. They don't make drop spindles for use with the drum brakes (at least I don't know of any).

Bill's Gallery
Old 01-05-2016, 07:23 AM   #33
[JP]

Cool, good news then! Thanks Palf70Step

I'll stick with my plan then:

Get 2" drop front springs and 4" drop rear springs
If the 15's fit...leave it like that.

If they don't, get rims with a 4" backspace so there's no rubbing issues.

If after that the truck looks too high, get 2" drop spindles and lowering blocks on the back.

thanks all for the help here!
Old 01-05-2016, 08:32 AM   #34
Grizz1963

If you look at my build [JP] you will see the result of exactly what you propose to do.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 10:09 AM   #35
Grizz1963

Thought I would copy and paste some of the stuff from the lowering.

Just starting to take the front wheel off.

Old vs New shocks. New shocks were ordered at -2"

Martin and I getting our heads together.

And then it got spicy...... Martin was all over me like a cheap suit.

There was a lot of huffing and puffing to get old nuts and bolts loosened.

Thank goodness these trucks are built in Man Size.

In the mean time Ian kept us tanked up with tea and coffee as well as passing, collecting spanners and taking some photos.

At some point, after much bashing, we got the spring removed.

It seems the original spring was cut down by 2 inches and refitted, and over time it, along with the shock absorber had become very saggy.

Once done with the drivers side we reassembled and put it back on the floor.........

Using my special measuring stick expectantly, to see where the 2 inch lower than standard shocks n spring had taken us, I was shattered to find the front stood 2.5" higher than before. AAAAARRRRGGGHH !!!

At this point it was getting to be dark, and Ian had cooked us all the spicy wings, which we ate directly off the fire/grid along with the sausage in hotdog rolls so we pushed the truck back into the garage till this morning, when Martin was back at my place by 07.45 (It is truly great to work with someone who gets up at a sensible time) My appologies to Martin's Amanda and my Nicola for having tosit around while we got down and dirty.

After Martin left I posted up threads on the Chevy C10 board and Garage Journal and Rods n Sods looking for advice. Much was offered.

So when we pulled the truck out this morning and jacked it up, I crawled underneath to inspect yesterdays fittings.

YUP..... The spring had not been located so after some grunting and adjusting, we dropped it down again and found the new height was 10mm taller than the old parts. PERFECT !!!

On to the passenger side, which took a lot less time to do.

By 11.00 Martin had left to go shopping, and I shut shop to get out and spend some time with Nicola who was waiting patiently for us to finish.

Next job will be getting the rear suspension sorted, possibly also replacing the lowering blocks.

A couple of other observations on this job included non matching nuts and bolts keeping the suspension together, some very worn fittings and also front brake lines that need replacing sooner than later.

Shock absorber top mount bolt.

And lastly, the parts that came out.

Original springs cut down by a coil, giving 2" lowering.

Onto the rear........

I have been losing sleep the last few days about getting the the rear springs and shocks off the truck and the new ones fitted after our battle with Martins last weekend.

This week I used SAS20 penetrating fluid three times to get the nuts and bolts all oiled up.

Today I contacted Darren from Unit Engineering to offer him a 4 post, 3000kg lift for £200.00 but interestingly he had also bought one last week.

One thing led to another in our text chat and I mentioned tonight's projected job and anticipated pain.......

"I have a battery powered Rattle Gun you can use." he offered, so after work I went down to his industrial unit (large engineering shop) had a coffee, chat and guided tour of some of his toys. Then asked if I could buy some solid ally from him to remake my lowering blocks....... come with me he said and back into the engineering shop we went.......

"Here, have these"

So with Rattle gun in hand I came home.

After Martin and Ian got in we had a coffee, then I started the fire and handed over to Ian while Martin and I went to the garage.

Back end went up and Rattle gun came out........ EFFORTLESS !!!

OLD vs NEW

Springs and shocks removed

The shocks come with a variety of steel sleeves, and I needed to cut two down to make them fit. Then grind down the sides of the bushes a bit for a tight fit.

New parts fitted and locked down.

OOOOOHHHHH YESSSS !!!!

1.5" drop........ now that had my face hurting from all the grinning.

Not bad for 90 minutes worth of effort.

Checked the level with a spirit level and the load bed is flat straight.

Now I want 2.5" dropped spindles on the front to go with the drums......... Can you get dropped spindles to go on drums??

Next up, tomorrow morning we need to drive back to Martins place 15 miles from here to fetch the new front brake hoses from his truck as he is going Disc brakes next, and to get some fresh brake fluid, then redo the trucks front shock lower bolts as I bought new high tensile bolts this week, as the originals were badly rusted and one was too short.

Last thing will be a decent road test, and some daylight photos of the truck to show the current stance.

RADICAL TRANSFORMATION !!

That is the only way I can describe how the new lowered shocks and springs on the trucks suspension performs compared to the waddling duck it had been before.

After fitting everything new, including the brake hoses, I never got a chance to go test drive the truck, but of course the compressor had to be taken over to Martin's place 15 miles away today, after which I came home and then Nicola and I took a very large wooden chest down to her work and drove around some more before coming home, so I did around 50 plus miles today.

After dropping the compressor off, I came back home driving rather briskly...... through every roundabout and other bendy bits, the truck felt a whole lot like a modern car, sure footed and going where I pointed it.

I am amazed at the transformation.

This is a modification I would highly recommend to anyone with one of these trucks. Of course there is a lot more radical stuff you can do to the truck including C-Notching, airbags, dropped spindles etc. The sky is the limit, or the size of your bank balance.

I think that with imported parts, it came to about £100.00 or $160.00 per corner to fit these Brothers Trucks parts.

After all the driving and hooning, the suspension must have settled for now, so here are a pair of pics, unfortunately, I had not straightened the steering wheel up front for the photos.

Last edited by Grizz1963; 01-05-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 10:48 AM   #36
[JP]

thanks for that Rian! I did go have a look in your thread, but I'm at work so time isnt much, but now you posted those photos I remember seeing them the first time i looked on your thread.

what tyre size do you have there? it does look a bit higher than what I'd like, but due to budget constrains I guess I'll live with it so I can fit the 15" tyres I have and then get the drop spindles etc when I have more cash available.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #37
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JP] View Post
thanks for that Rian! I did go have a look in your thread, but I'm at work so time isnt much, but now you posted those photos I remember seeing them the first time i looked on your thread.

what tyre size do you have there? it does look a bit higher than what I'd like, but due to budget constrains I guess I'll live with it so I can fit the 15" tyres I have and then get the drop spindles etc when I have more cash available.
Those were 225/15 - 70 tyres on the chrome smoothies, possibly 7j but could be 8J May have been 75 profile, cannot remember.

I am fitting restored Rallyes next, with possibly white walls, or maybe plain 70/75 profile truck tyres.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:21 AM   #38
[JP]

and what drop were your rear springs?
that looks like where I might still have a problem and it might still rub... :/ the tyres I have are 255/70, which would be fine if the backspace wasnt only 3.5" pushing the rim too far out.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #39
Grizz1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by [JP] View Post
and what drop were your rear springs?
that looks like where I might still have a problem and it might still rub... :/ the tyres I have are 255/70, which would be fine if the backspace wasnt only 3.5" pushing the rim too far out.
Back end was 2" block plus 2" in shock and springs as my truck needs to tow various things and carry a load of sand, bricks, wood etc.

Like you, I want more show than go.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #40
[JP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz1963 View Post
Back end was 2" block plus 2" in shock and springs as my truck needs to tow various things and carry a load of sand, bricks, wood etc.

Like you, I want more show than go.
ah! that's ok then.. if I get 2" shocks then it might be alright and clear the tyres on the rear.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #41
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

One note on the lowering blocks. A 2" block will cause the U-bolt to drag the ground if you ever get a flat tire using a 15" rim. If you are staying with 15" rims , I would not go more than a 1.5" block. Since you have a stepside bed, you will have slightly less room than a fleetside bed for tire/rim width.

Bill's Gallery
Old 01-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #42
[JP]

I keep looking at the size of the springs Rian fitted ( the red ones) and they are massive when comparing to the little ones I have at the moment... considering I just want to lift mine by about 2" from how its sitting now.. i wonder if I should go with 4" drop springs on the front instead of 2"...

Look how small these things look...

Palf, i'm only going with 255 tyres, dont want anything wide
Old 01-05-2016, 06:37 PM   #43
Chevy Fleetside

should be a 3" drop up front Running 255/60/15 and a 4" drop in the rear running a 275/60/15 , 8" wide wheels with 4" backspace. I would drop the front 1 more inch but that would just be too low for clearance issues.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 07:59 PM   #44
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

I would not go 4, either the 2" or like Chevy Fleestide said, maybe 3" looks good also/

Bill's Gallery
Old 01-06-2016, 04:23 AM   #45
[JP]

OK, yes I agree, 4" might be pushing it a bit too much. I'll go with 3" then, 2" on the back to be on the safe side as that's where I can only fit one finger between wheel arch and tyre. then if its too high I can add lowering blocks, better than getting 4" and being too low and then I'm stuck!

that setup should be able to give me clearance to fit these beauties.