The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
Bullett

In cab gas tank cover ideas?

Going to start my new carpet installation today and while I'm in the process, would like to figure out some type of cosmetic improvement to the in cab fuel tank. Some type of cover that blends in with the interior. Would also like to figure a way to get a couple speakers in behind the seat somewhere maybe? I currently just have a couple small kick panel speakers that just don't cut it. Just looking for ideas. Thanks...bullett
Bullett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:30 PM   #2
frankslagoon

Re: In cab gas tank cover ideas?

I been trying to find a way too. There just isn't much room. The passs. side is kinda open but the drivers side is messed up. So far I did this simple filler between the seats. it looks good but ya don't get any separation.
Attached Images

frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:33 PM   #3
frankslagoon

Of course that won't work with a bench seat, the guys will just say , get the tank out of there. I thought about shorting the tank on the drivers side also?
frankslagoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:10 PM   #4
luvbowties

Smile Re: In cab gas tank cover ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullett View Post
Going to start my new carpet installation today and while I'm in the process, would like to figure out some type of cosmetic improvement to the in cab fuel tank. Some type of cover that blends in with the interior. Would also like to figure a way to get a couple speakers in behind the seat somewhere maybe? I currently just have a couple small kick panel speakers that just don't cut it. Just looking for ideas. Thanks...bullett
You can buy a cardboard cover from places like LMC--original type. But, before I did that, I'd carpet that sucker to match the floor. Can't help but look good. Other approaches may look as good/better? Speakers, sorry no ideas; I deleted any sound system in my truck--age difference, I'd bet!
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #5
Bullett

Unfortunately, I have a bench seat which, as Frank mentioned, makes it even tougher. I really hate to change out the seat since it was custom upholstered to match my interior.

Not much room there.
Frank, you talked about shorting the tank on the drivers side. Does that mean sliding the tank over towards the passengers side a bit and equalizing the space on each side? I am contemplating that. Yes, guess I should have put my tank in the rear when I re-did the rear body, oh well. There are some brackets above the tank and speaker wires back there so at one point, someone had some type of speaker/tank cover beach there. Dunno, I'll figure something out.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
Bullett

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
You can buy a cardboard cover from places like LMC--original type. But, before I did that, I'd carpet that sucker to match the floor. Can't help but look good. Other approaches may look as good/better? Speakers, sorry no ideas; I deleted any sound system in my truck--age difference, I'd bet!
Sam
I will check on the cardboard cover, that certainly would be better than what I have now. Nah, I don't really need a rippin' sound system, I'm only a couple years younger than my truck, but still love my music. Thanks for the idea
Old 01-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #7
flashed

I bought a back wall cover(thin carpet) off a Chevy truck (not crew cab) gray in color and dyed it black to match my interior .It was the perfect size to cover the tank in my 72 which should be about the same in your truck .I cant remember the year truck it came from but if you look at some threads by TexFirefighter you will find it as that is where I got the idea from .My seats are BuddyBuckets but should not matter.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:49 PM   #8
flashed

My carpet came from an 88-94 chevy truck .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 09:08 PM   #9
Bullett

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
My carpet came from an 88-94 chevy truck .
I will stop at the junk yard, just up the road from me and see what they have. This sounds like a pretty easy option. Thanks