The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

?? on step notch

I should have my KP 8" step notch delivered by the end of the week. I have a couple of questions.
With my current setup consisting of stock trailing arms, 2" lowering blocks, and bags in stock location, I know my bag location will be the immediate limiting factor for going super-low. So my questions are:
1.) What is the optimal location to mount my bags with the stock trailing arm setup?
2.) After I re-locate the bags, is there going to be anything binding before The axle bottoms out in the top of the notch? I think I've read somewhere on here that the trailing arms will hit the frame first?
Old 12-29-2006, 04:59 AM   #2
SlammedDime

Re: ?? on step notch

Is your goal to lay frame, or just get lower than you can now with the bags bottoming out first? (note: I'm not too familiar with the suspension design of your truck, but I can at least try to give a general direction to head in, based on your goals).
SlammedDime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fleet View Post
1.) What is the optimal location to mount my bags with the stock trailing arm setup?
2.) After I re-locate the bags, is there going to be anything binding before The axle bottoms out in the top of the notch? I think I've read somewhere on here that the trailing arms will hit the frame first?
Optimal location is right where they are. Too bad this will not allow you to use all of that notch.

Best bet is to bridge your notches and axle mount them. Unfortunately, you will want to change to a sleeve style bag when you do this. You will still run into problems with the trailing arm hitting the frame though. You will either have to notch that area of the frame or move the trailing arm mounts closer together on the axle tube.

I've also seen some people build their own arms, notched for bag clearance. Others move the bags farther up the arm and mount them on the inside of the frame.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 03:43 PM   #4
IvelDesigns
Commander Taco Bello

if you were to mount them further up the arm and inside the frame, wouldn't that mess up the weight ratio? seems like it would increase the pressure on the bag a lot. maybe enough to fail??
IvelDesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:25 AM   #5
BigShoe24
True Addiction

This is ur best bet. Kp als makes these bag brackets, "under the bed". This will get you pretty low.
Attached Images

BigShoe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
1lowdiesel

move them farther up the arms toward the cab that will give you more lift and a good ride. also your gonna wanna cut down that notch so it's not sooooo big too where you have like 3-4 inches between the axle and bottom of the notch. like the other guy said you'll never use the whole thing.

xtremediesel.com
1lowdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:23 AM   #7
rancid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShoe24 View Post
This is ur best bet. Kp als makes these bag brackets, "under the bed". This will get you pretty low.
how big is your notch.
rancid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #8
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

It is the KP step notch. I believe it is 8".

I was looking at KP's "under bed" brackets but it seems with that setup I will basically have a 1:1 lift ratio. With that I guess I could expect only about 8" of lift with the Slam bags I have, correct?
Old 01-11-2007, 03:17 AM   #9
64shortc10

Will the Kp notch lay the frame rails on the ground on 22's with a 29 inch tall tire. I have a 64 chevy shortbed, and just bought a porterbuilt streetrods dropmember so the frontend is covered for a 29 in. tall tire. On the back I wanted to use the stock trailing arm, a 2 inch lowering block, an axle conversion kit so I can put my 87 5 lug rear axle in. So will my truck lay out in the rear with a Kp notch or is there any other company that makes one that will? Also does the green 67-72 in the pic lay flat frame and what size tires are those?

Thanks for any response
Tony from Norcal
64shortc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:30 AM   #10
jimmydean

Tony, if I recall the stock trailing arms will hit the frame before you lay out. To get flat, you will need to go with a 4 link, or modify the stock arms as well as go with the step notch. I think it's like 2" shy of the ground otherwise.
jimmydean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
el curioso

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydean View Post
Tony, if I recall the stock trailing arms will hit the frame before you lay out. To get flat, you will need to go with a 4 link, or modify the stock arms as well as go with the step notch. I think it's like 2" shy of the ground otherwise.
Is tyat with lowering blocks? Or will they not make a diffrence? I was thinkking of boxing in the area and doing a c-notch to clear the arms .

WIll this work or am i missing some thing?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #12
thekid54

Quote:
Originally Posted by el curioso View Post
Is tyat with lowering blocks? Or will they not make a diffrence? I was thinkking of boxing in the area and doing a c-notch to clear the arms .

WIll this work or am i missing some thing?
I believe you will need lowering blocks to lay frame using the stock trailing arms. I know a guy who laid his truck out with the stock trailing arms by using a 3" block and notching the frame rails where the trailing arms hit.
thekid54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:28 PM   #13
SCOTI

Use the KP kit you have & dont worry about the extra clearance..... it's a good thing when 2-solid metal objects don't collide.

As far as planting the frame rails, from what I understand PorterBuilt SR is working on a bolt-in 4-link for these trucks. Keep your current set-up for now & then when that kit comes out, you can swap over.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:57 PM   #14
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

I may end up going with the SD weld-in 4-link. I'm pulling the bed this weekend and once I get the notches welded in we'll see what kind of clearance issues I run into.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:58 PM   #15
67Fleet
Outlandish Trends - FL

I would never run 3" blocks on these trucks. That puts the trailing arm dangerously close to the pavement. If you get a flat, you're just about screwed.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:28 PM   #16
64shortc10

Sounds good as far as the suspension part, but is the Kp notch big enough at 8 inches to lay a 22 inch rim with a 265-35-22 (thats a 29 inch tall tire)?
Is there anyone with pics of 60-72 layed flat on 22's on the stock trailing arms. Also has anyone used the Kp watt's link with the stock trailing arms on these trucks?

Thanks again
Tony from Norcal
Old 01-12-2007, 02:15 AM   #17
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortc10 View Post
Sounds good as far as the suspension part, but is the Kp notch big enough at 8 inches to lay a 22 inch rim with a 265-35-22 (thats a 29 inch tall tire)?
My measurement from the ground to the top of the axle tube on a 27" tire is 14.5". So with a 29" tire, you should be looking at around 15.5".

Looking at the pic below, the frame section below the cab is ~6" high and the rear section above the axle is ~4". With a 8" notch, that only puts you at 14" until you bottom out, leaving you 1.5" from the ground, meaning you will probably need a 10" notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Fleet View Post
I may end up going with the SD weld-in 4-link. I'm pulling the bed this weekend and once I get the notches welded in we'll see what kind of clearance issues I run into.
Pictures would be awesome if you get a chance.

-Chris
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy

Last edited by gringoloco; 01-12-2007 at 02:21 AM.
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:30 AM   #18
blue72nova

i bought the kp notch a couple weeks back i talk to the guy he says they are making a new notch that like 9 or 9 and a 1/2 inches because they have some many people callin and wanting to lay frame with 22'' but you dont have to use the whole 9 inches you just use what you need and cut the rest off
blue72nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #19
64shortc10

Anyone else hear about kp making a bigger notch for 22's? So what c-notch is everyone using to lay 22's or bigger? Lets see pics of your rear set ups on big wheels!

Thanks
Tony from Norcal
Old 01-13-2007, 10:36 AM   #20
blazntn

KP will custom cut you a notch as tall as you want it! I have talked to them and that is what I will be using and it will be setup to lay a 30" tire!!!!
blazntn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:44 AM   #21
jlaird

the best thing you can do at this point is get your measuring tape out and start figuring out exactly what you need. Decide on your tire height and then figure out where your axle will sit in relation to the frame. IIRC, you will need around a 10" notch to layout on 22's depending on what tire you want to run and how your bags are mounted.
jlaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:42 PM   #22
c10addict

I know this is an old post but I didnt want to start a new one...

2 questions...

1) I have a KP notch on the way.. I am running a 2 inch lowering block.. How much of the notch am I going to use?? I would like to cut it down.. I guess I could take the measurements and do the math but I like know facts if avail...

2) What are you doing for shock mounts and the panhard bar??

Thanks !!
54 GMC under the knife getting a S10 chassis swap and bagged. See my build thread...
07 GMC Sierra 5/7 drop, 22's and 24's Air ride on my mind..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=339340

See pics of my trucks in my profile
c10addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:17 AM   #23
sighlurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
My measurement from the ground to the top of the axle tube on a 27" tire is 14.5". So with a 29" tire, you should be looking at around 15.5".

Looking at the pic below, the frame section below the cab is ~6" high and the rear section above the axle is ~4". With a 8" notch, that only puts you at 14" until you bottom out, leaving you 1.5" from the ground, meaning you will probably need a 10" notch.

Pictures would be awesome if you get a chance.

-Chris
Thread Hijack Alert!

I'm trying to minimize the amount of notch above the height of the stock bed floor. I need to be able to lay the rear of a '65 LWB frame with the KP weld-in notch, but want to raise the bed floor as little as possible. Has anyone taken the measurement of A or B in this picture for the exact measurement of the notch? The second picture shows what I think it should look like, a combination of the pumpkin hitting the floor and axle tube bottoming on the notch.

Does this question make sense? Am I crazy?
Attached Images

sighlurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #24
nicklear36

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=266234&page=3

What about doing what this guy did? He said its 12 inches of cnotch lengthwise I belive to clear the stock trailing arms.
nicklear36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #25
PGSigns

This thread is close to 6 years old. I think they have figured it out by now.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote