The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
rockyrivermark

general c10 question

How is the body molding removed? I know the clips are held on with a nut but can the trim be gently pried off or do the nuts have to be removed behind the body panels?
what is the best way to improve the ride such as suspension upgrades?
thanks
rockyrivermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:25 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: general c10 question

A windshield moulding tool can be used to take off the moldings. The C-10 is know n for its smooth ride because of the coil spring rear . if your having ride issues you my have something not there or not working. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
67 chevelle

some of these trucks came with no sway bars , the front is a must IMO , the rear is a great addition
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:13 PM   #4
kehstr

be careful with the moldings, some of the clips don't like to remove, and you will have to unbolt them.
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

On the upper bed trim on the 71/72 models, they used a plastic pad and 2 sided tape to attach the trim. With some "Release Agent" (go to an auto paint store), the pads break free from the bed pretty easily, given that the trucks are 45 years old.

Pretty sure on the lower door trim on 71/72s, its the same, its held on by a pad/tape and will break free pretty easily from the door.

For all the rest of it where it's either bolted on or attached w/a clip, it is best to unbolt it or unclip it. There's no "gently prying" without damaging the trim and/or the sheet metal. GM engineers did a great job of designing the attachment system for their trim. There are some places where its damn near IMPOSSIBLE to get to some of the clips/nuts and you'll discover those places soon enough as you try to do this. I'm talking about removing the front bumper, inner fender wells, door panels, taking the doors off and if you want to get to the backs of the 2 trim pieces by the fuel tank opening, you have to pull the fuel tank (which requires removing the front seat). It is not for the faint of heart. Good luck, remember, PATIENCE is a vurtue!!!
Attached Images

73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
Jesus Moreno

71 gmc truck. Where does the heater switch go mine came without one I would appreciate some pics of the part. Thanks
Jesus Moreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:31 PM   #7
rockyrivermark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Moreno View Post
71 gmc truck. Where does the heater switch go mine came without one I would appreciate some pics of the part. Thanks
Don't hijack my thread. Start a new one or PM please.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:32 PM   #8
rockyrivermark

Thanks for the advise. I have some rust areas around the molding and also thought it would make it easier to buff panels after painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73737373 View Post
On the upper bed trim on the 71/72 models, they used a plastic pad and 2 sided tape to attach the trim. With some "Release Agent" (go to an auto paint store), the pads break free from the bed pretty easily, given that the trucks are 45 years old.

Pretty sure on the lower door trim on 71/72s, its the same, its held on by a pad/tape and will break free pretty easily from the door.

For all the rest of it where it's either bolted on or attached w/a clip, it is best to unbolt it or unclip it. There's no "gently prying" without damaging the trim and/or the sheet metal. GM engineers did a great job of designing the attachment system for their trim. There are some places where its damn near IMPOSSIBLE to get to some of the clips/nuts and you'll discover those places soon enough as you try to do this. I'm talking about removing the front bumper, inner fender wells, door panels, taking the doors off and if you want to get to the backs of the 2 trim pieces by the fuel tank opening, you have to pull the fuel tank (which requires removing the front seat). It is not for the faint of heart. Good luck, remember, PATIENCE is a vurtue!!!