The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
Chrispbrown36

Ultimate Square Body Repair Tool Kit...

So, on the long drive home today I got to thinking about what I needed to do to the truck. As I was going through the list I started thinking about what specialty tools I would need for the various parts. I have all the usual wrenches, sockets, screw drivers, and such, but it's the little things that get ya.....So, what would you have in your ultimate do all kit? Brand? Price?
Chrispbrown36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:16 PM   #2
TrailerTrash

Re: Ultimate Square Body Repair Tool Kit...

i have a nice set of tools in both of my trucks. by nice i dont mean top of the line snap ons. i mean a good assortment of tools. other than your standard wrenches/sockets/ect I have... a hammer in each, a bunch of wire connectors, wire strippers, lighters, test lights, a few lengths of wire and one with roach clips for a jumper, spare pack of fuses, spare spark plugs(in case you break one), handful of zipties, handful of hose clamps, handfull of bolts with nuts and washers

and i carry a nice LED Maglite in each of my 3 vehicles.

also one more thing i have for both my trucks that i had to make myself. a long rod to put tension on the power steering pump for tightening the belt. i run a water pump/ps/crank belt on both my trucks and its a pain in the bum to get tension on the power steering pump and tighten the bolts at the same time. so i have a long rod that slips in behind the pulley and uses the brackets bolt heads to put tension on the belt. that way you dont have to worry about crushing the tin reservoir and it cant slip off and make you fall into the engine bay
TrailerTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #3
48cj2a

I worked at a Cadillac/Pontiac Dealership in the mid-80s so I bought a lot of stuff from Snapon, MAC and MATCO for specialty tools like steering wheel pullers and tilt wheel tools, Window Crank Handle Tool and various door and trim panel tools:

Harbor Freight is fine for a few things:

Many times you can get this free with a coupon and its actually not a bad meter for ohming out components, voltage checks and continuity checks.

48 Willys CJ2A 48CJ2A
48cj2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #4
Chrispbrown36

I love Harbor Freight....sure some of it is junk but it is cheap junk so if it breaks take it back or get a new one. I don't expect much from their power tools, so I only buy power tools that I expect to only use once there.
Old 01-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #5
tucsonjwt

Thexton fuel inlet nut wrench - no longer made or available anywhere:

http://www.yourstoreonline.net/gm_fu...0/product.html
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:24 PM   #6
Chrispbrown36

Well, then that makes it kind of hard to get a hold of. Now, what exactly is it used for?
Old 01-22-2016, 11:47 PM   #7
tucsonjwt

The wrench is used to remove the fuel inlet nut on the front of the carburetor. There is a vacuum nipple above the inlet nut, so it is difficult or impossible to remove the inlet nut carefully with an end wrench without hitting the nipple and breaking it off. You remove the inlet nut to replace the fuel filter.

I had one of these wrenches but it was stolen from my tool shed along with all of my other good tools. I finally found another one at a used tool store locally.

I think GM expected the fuel filter to be changed when the carburetor was rebuilt, probably every couple of years, so the inlet nut would be easy to remove when the carburetor is out of the truck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:24 AM   #8
'68 Newtricks

If 4wd or full float rear, hub socket for bearing "nut".