The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
Jrainman

Power steering conversion ?

I am converting my 1969 c/10 from manual to power steering

After research here on what is needed for a PS conversion , I am coming up with conflicting answers on what Pitman arm to use . some post say use year of truck for pitman arm and other post say match year of power steering gear box with pitman arm.

I have pump side complete , I have a 1980-1987 PS gear box ready to go in ,but unsure of what year -power steering Pitman arm to purchase ....
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Power steering conversion ?

If the box has a pitman arm just use it. The thing is just want to make sure it is a power steering arm. Also i think the Idler arm may be different with power and non power trucks.
Now on a side note since you are using a later box[and there is nothing wrong with that mind you,] but you will need either to change out the lines or newer one or have an adapter end for the steering box cause the newer boxes say 79 on up have a different type end that is needed for the line to seal. You can use the newer hoses but then it may not work on the pump unless you change out the big nut on the back that houses the pressure regulator[it is as simple as unscrewing the nut and screwing the newer one in.]
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
Jrainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
If the box has a pitman arm just use it. The thing is just want to make sure it is a power steering arm. Also i think the Idler arm may be different with power and non power trucks.
Now on a side note since you are using a later box[and there is nothing wrong with that mind you,] but you will need either to change out the lines or newer one or have an adapter end for the steering box cause the newer boxes say 79 on up have a different type end that is needed for the line to seal. You can use the newer hoses but then it may not work on the pump unless you change out the big nut on the back that houses the pressure regulator[it is as simple as unscrewing the nut and screwing the newer one in.]
Thanx Hugger for the info , I did read that about the steering box lines ,I have a hydraulic line shop a stones throw away from me so I will pick up the fittings and have him make me some new lines .

I did not find anything regarding Idle arm difference while looking at older threads here , just the Pitman arm , but again some post read to use same year as truck other post said use pitman arm for year of steering box

Oh well looks like it will end up being a PIA conversion with buying extra parts
Jrainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:25 PM   #4
Boog
laying low

A real quick look at Advance Auto Parts shows a couple of different pitman arms and idler arms. There is a difference in regular power steering arm and variable ratio arms apparently.
It doesn't have to be a p i a to do this conversion.
I have a 69 truck with an 82 front crossmember complete with 71 power sector. I just replaced the 71 power sector with a 77 power sector and used the 71 pitman arm. It all bolted up just fine.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:12 PM   #5
Reiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrainman View Post
I did not find anything regarding Idle arm difference while looking at older threads here , just the Pitman arm , but again some post read to use same year as truck other post said use pitman arm for year of steering box
Hi Fellas,

iŽve the same issue. Converting my 68 from man. steering to power steering.
The P/S Gear is a remanufactured 1976 C10.

What Pitman Arm do I need?
I think, the 68-72 Pitman with Power Steering, maybe the taper is different to 76?! Am I right?

Best wishes and regards from cold Germany ;-)

Reiner
Reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:53 PM   #6
Kennuck

I used an 84 box on mine. I bought a 72 power steering pitman arm and everything bolted up fine. I have an LS so hoses were not an issue for me.
3:73 gears, Boyd's Tank
2.5 / 4 drop 5 lug disc brakes
Vintage Air
18x8 Ridlers 255/55 frt. 18x9.5 275/60 rear
Kennuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:48 AM   #7
Gmc.guy

On my 69 I used parts off a donor truck. I have a 71 I used for power steer and brake parts. It was all bolt on. The pitman arms were the same length and same joint on the end. I put the used box pump and brackets on and bought new hoses. Works real well. The bolt hole for the M clip on the top of the frame that holds the lines was there too. The only difference was the power steer box has 4 bolts and manual has 4. The 71+72 is nice then you can hang the pump low drivers side and keep your alternator in same place. If you are set up newer style passenger side alternator and long water pump I would use newer pump, brackets and box 73+
I was lucky to have nice used parts together and working to swap over I have the rear and front clip to swap but have brand new drum parts so I'm gonna run with them for a bit
Old 01-24-2016, 12:52 AM   #8
Gmc.guy

Forgot too. The pulley for the power steer pump just sandwiches in between balancer and the pulley already there and swap to the double water pump pulley but newer style you need different pulley with more grooves
Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
Reiner

Thanks for your replies! IŽll order the 68-72 Pitman.

BtW: The old man gear has 6.5 turns lock to lock, is this original/stock?
The new one has only 3.25 turns.

Thanks Reiner
Reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:02 PM   #10
danny69

Just to chime I just changed mine to about an 80 model the hose connections were the type that used o rings and you do need to use the ps pitman for 69-72 I think the taper is different the newer one didn't seem to fit right. Also I just changed the fitting in the ps pump to work with the o ring connections.
danny69 is offline   Reply With Quote