The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2016, 12:05 AM   #1
jturner18

Best one?

Ok, I'll ask here because you guys are the wealth of knowledge on these year of trucks...which year was the best year 73-87. I know some of you will say, "all of them" but please refrain. Lol. I currently have a 65 stepper and love it and stay over in that section of the forum, but I am considering getting a daily driver squarebody. I like the looks of the 73-80s' body's type because of the side molding. But hey, they're all awesome! So... which year is the best "all around" from these year models?

Thanks,
JT
jturner18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:02 AM   #2
Matt Man

Re: Best one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jturner18 View Post
Ok, I'll ask here because you guys are the wealth of knowledge on these year of trucks...which year was the best year 73-87. I know some of you will say, "all of them" but please refrain. Lol. I currently have a 65 stepper and love it and stay over in that section of the forum, but I am considering getting a daily driver squarebody. I like the looks of the 73-80s' body's type because of the side molding. But hey, they're all awesome! So... which year is the best "all around" from these year models?

Thanks,
JT
If you are going to drive every day then I would get a 87 so you can have TBI. Depends what you are looking for. If you are looking for a 4x4, I would go for a 81+ for the part time transfer case. The 73-80 4x4's have a NP203 full time transfer case, you can buy a conversion kit to make it part time 4x4 like the NP208 found in 81-87 4x4's, but you will need to run it in 4x4 every 100 miles or so to lubricate it. After that, it all comes down to what kind of front end do you like, 73-75 are getting really popular and expensive now. Personally, I like 81+ because the interior is a little more spruced up compared to the 73-80.

Something else to consider is if you have to smog vehicles where you are. 73-82 trucks without Electronic spark control are easier to smog. As you may know starting in 73 horsepower took a major downturn due to emission regulations, and only got worse until 87 when they introduced TBI, my 81 when it was new made 175hp with the ls9 350. These were the smog dog days also known as the "malaise era".

Problem area's for squarebody trucks:
RUST RUST RUST!! cab corners, floor pans, inner/outer rockers, behind the rear wheels, and under the windshield seal, especially on the bottom, and the bottom of the doors are VERY prone to rust especially if they were driven in the rust belt. I think starting around 1978-1980 they had somewhat better rust protection (my 81 has some sort of sprayed sealant in the bottom of my doors). 73-75 trucks seem to be the worst for rust.

Steering box: Look for cracks around the steering box, this is a common area where the frame will crack especially on 4x4's 73-80 seem to be a little worse, since the 81+ trucks have a small brace from the factory. Also on 4x4's look on the right side of the engine crossmember, the frame cracks there as well. Even 2wd trucks can crack there, fortunately they sell a bolt in brace, and a weld on plate.

Water leaks: These trucks are about as water tight as a cheese grater, check the fresh air floor vents, if you don't have AC. Windshield seal leaks are very common as well. The cowl seam also tends to dry out crack and eventually rust out the firewall.

These are great trucks and parts are still plentiful and cheap, grab one while you can though, values are going up quite fast. As you know older chevy trucks will always be in style.

I Love my 81 for the turn signals in the bumper and the grille, and the part time transfer case.
2020 Silverado Double Cab LT Z71 5.3 8 speed Daily Driver

K10 build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671934

The Peach build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=733903

Last edited by Matt Man; 01-25-2016 at 01:16 AM.
Matt Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
Burbnasty

I also really like the look of the 73-80 because of the front ends and the trim, I think the woodgrain interiors are a bonus as well they have much more of a classic look. However those are becoming hard to come by. It seems like most of the 4x4 73-80 have the trim removed and are painted a solid color. I think this takes away from the classic look of those trucks.

As far as drive-ability the 87 tbi with a 700 r4 is nice for a daily driver.

Unfortunately where I live, all the 73-87 "classic looking" or not seem to either be beat to hell or someone has put the money into them to make them nice. Thus they are few and far between for a decent price or they are too far gone.

I would keep your options open and just look for something clean, and make it your own. Not that I need anymore but, that's what I'm doing.
Burbnasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
jturner18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burbnasty View Post
I also really like the look of the 73-80 because of the front ends and the trim, I think the woodgrain interiors are a bonus as well they have much more of a classic look. However those are becoming hard to come by. It seems like most of the 4x4 73-80 have the trim removed and are painted a solid color. I think this takes away from the classic look of those trucks.

As far as drive-ability the 87 tbi with a 700 r4 is nice for a daily driver.

Unfortunately where I live, all the 73-87 "classic looking" or not seem to either be beat to hell or someone has put the money into them to make them nice. Thus they are few and far between for a decent price or they are too far gone.

I would keep your options open and just look for something clean, and make it your own. Not that I need anymore but, that's what I'm doing.
That's what I'm doing. Call me crazy, but I'm not happy with my brand new truck. It's a 2015 GMC SLE 4x4 crew, and I'm about to put it on the market and go to a squarebody. SOMETHING I CAN ACTUALLY WORK ON! haha
jturner18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #5
barry1982

LOL You have asked a question with many answers, and opinions. I got my first square in 1983, (a 74 model) and have been driving them ever since. Over the years I have owned/driven a 74, 76,78, 2- 79's, 80, 81, 3-82's, 2 -85's, 84 Sub, and bought an 87 Silverado SWB brand new. Of all the trucks I would have to say I liked the 85's best. GM seemed to work out all of the bugs by 85. Both 85 trucks treated me really well. I liked the fact I could still work on them. The 87 with fuel injection was nice, but you still have to plug in the old computer to sort out "check engine" issues.... The 81-87 seemed to be more fuel efficient than the 73-80. All have pros-cons. If "brand new" 85's were still available, I would but one tomorrow.....
barry1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 10:34 PM   #6
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Here's a LINK to a thread from last month, same topic. Three whole pages of joy.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #7
Rubble

I'm along same lines as barry1982, I got my first Chevy in 81,a 78C10, and other than a short time in 91 had one ever since.Had a 79,still have an 80,had 81,82,83,85,86&87. 85 & 86 were my best trucks,still have an 86 too.I didn't care for fuel Inj. Carb much simpler & if kept up it still runs decent.I like the looks of Chevy grills in 85 & 86 better than GMC too.

" Rock n Roll ain't noise pollution"
Rubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
BamaDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Man View Post
Problem area's for squarebody trucks:
Steering box: Look for cracks around the steering box, this is a common area where the frame will crack especially on 4x4's 73-80 seem to be a little worse, since the 81+ trucks have a small brace from the factory. Also on 4x4's look on the right side of the engine crossmember, the frame cracks there as well. Even 2wd trucks can crack there, fortunately they sell a bolt in brace, and a weld on plate.
I think I have just found a crack on the top side of my frame above the crossmember. Its a 2wd. Where is this bolt in brace and weld-in plate you speak of?
BamaDave is offline   Reply With Quote