The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2016, 02:48 PM   #26

Re: 72 Re-decal the Door panel insert woodgrain

With a metal straight edge ruler and 2 other people to hold it, it is possible to cut the vinyl that covers the raised silver "lines" on the panel. You have to "free hand" it around the corners, but if you use a scalpel (my wife is an RN) it is doable and comes out real nice. Of course, prep work is the key and getting the raised silver line to shine must be done before you apply the vinyl.

On ebay, if you search for "woodgrain vinyl" you'll come across a place that sells it in all sizes, widths/lengths and different hues of wood. I've had great success w/this product, especially when redoing the lower woodgrain trim pieces.
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:35 PM   #27
El Dorado Jim

looks great!!!!
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:52 PM   #28
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
Looks great. A person with really steady hands (like a pinstriper/sign painter) could paint that raised rib silver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWB View Post
The raised trim/edge is still there, I just covered it and pressed it around it real good. I might razor it and expose it. If I do I'll post pic's

And thanks for the kind words...
I see the bead is still there. What I was saying is since it's raised, it could be painted/highlighted by someone with steady hands such as a sign painter/pinstriper. Also, you could always mask, cut, paint. This is if you don't feel good about cutting out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73737373 View Post
With a metal straight edge ruler and 2 other people to hold it, it is possible to cut the vinyl that covers the raised silver "lines" on the panel. You have to "free hand" it around the corners, but if you use a scalpel (my wife is an RN) it is doable and comes out real nice.
If you do go ahead with cutting, the bead itself will be your guide or straight edge. If you can't get your hands on a scalpel, a fresh razor blade or Exacto knife will take care of it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:14 AM   #29
SWB

Quote:
I see the bead is still there. What I was saying is since it's raised, it could be painted/highlighted by someone with steady hands such as a sign painter/pinstriper. Also, you could always mask, cut, paint. This is if you don't feel good about cutting out.

If you do go ahead with cutting, the bead itself will be your guide or straight edge. If you can't get your hands on a scalpel, a fresh razor blade or Exacto knife will take care of it.
I'm fine the way it is, if the cut is made at the base of each side of the raise edge it would more than double the area that it could start raising and peeling and it's just a driver..

But thanks for your input..
Heights Pro G front sub,, Shockwave Air Ride, 383cu in etc..
SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #30

Quote:

Wish my hand was that steady to free hand it. That metal ruler trick did it for me after I screwed it up once.
73737373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:50 AM   #31
BrianG

Am I correct in my understanding that this is not the same material that was used originally on these panels? This is more similar to the vinyl used to wrap automobiles correct? I'm not saying that is a negative thing at all. Actually really opens up the possibilities for these panels. There are soo many more patterns available. I would like to know how it holds up though. Hope it holds up well because my idea gears are really turning.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #32
special-K
Special Order

I don't think the original woodgrain was a sticker at all. I think it was photo-etched. Look at where it's worn off, it's more like paint.

I've redone these using a GM vinyl (whatever they call it) and cut along the raised bead. It's not free-hand, it's the same as using a straight edge except you are following the actual line you need to cut. Now painting? That takes a steady skilled hand, even if you use a rubber roller. Can't tilt one way or another. Well, you could always wipe the mess up I guess.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote