The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2016, 10:44 PM   #1
davepl

Replacing windshield on a freshly painted truck

I know there has been a lot of agony surrounding our windshields and the various seals that make it harder or easier (or possible/impossible I guess). In fact the body shop broke 2 trying to install mine. But I had it painted in WI and I'm in WA, so that's thousands of miles away now.

Who on earth would I call for such a task? If I go to the Yellow Pages for Advance Auto Glass or similar, odds are I'll get a guy who's younger than the truck for sure and probably never changed glass in one.

Also, can they re-use the seal or is it sacrificed when they remove the current glass (which is not broken, I just need to lose the blue tint at the top because I'm too tall and can't see out of the truck!).

Put more simply, what can folks tell me to increase the odds that I find someone competent at changing glass in one of these trucks, and then R&R without doing a bunch of damage?

Cheers,
Dave
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:56 PM   #2
volksworld

Re: Replacing windshield on a freshly painted truck

not exactly car show season but hooking up with a local club to see who they recommend ....since you're not re-using the shield i would sacrifice it to save the rubber and/or chrome...if its fairly new it should still seal fine, but having been in place a while it might not fight the installer as badly as a brand new one...cutting it out you risk slicing into the paint and unless touched up you'll have rust issues later
Old 01-22-2016, 02:02 AM   #3
swamp rat

A little ways away maybe but they seem to specialize in classic rides, my friend had his 55 Chevy truck done there and he recommends them. I plan on calling them when i'm ready.

http://tahomaglass.com/

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 02:10 AM   #4
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Because your truck is a fresh build I sure wouldn't worry about them messing up the seal, Id just have it cut out so they don't damage anything trying to save a relatively inexpensive part.
Old 01-22-2016, 03:02 AM   #5
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by volksworld View Post
not exactly car show season but hooking up with a local club to see who they recommend ....since you're not re-using the shield i would sacrifice it to save the rubber and/or chrome...if its fairly new it should still seal fine, but having been in place a while it might not fight the installer as badly as a brand new one...cutting it out you risk slicing into the paint and unless touched up you'll have rust issues later
Are you suggesting one should try to save the seals if not replacing the windows? Note: The stainless steel frame for my windshield is excellent, but the rear needs to be replaced. I'm removing the windows, painting, then reinstalling.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:10 AM   #6
NoNeck

Dave -

We have had a windshield replaced by a "professional" glass company using the latest technology and techniques. The installer came to my home and proceeded to set up his equipment. The only thing I was concerned about was his age. He was only 22 years old and this was his first "old truck" installation.

I had purchased a new seal from Precision for the wider stainless chrome and the glass company supplied the windshield. My original windshield gasket was brittle and broken in the corners, so it had to come out.

The tech quickly cut the seal and removed the old windshield. But, when installing the new windshield... he had no clue. He couldn't get it in and seated in the opening so he blamed the "aftermarket" seal. He said that he would send his manager out to finish the job.

The manager came the next day and within 30 minutes he had the windshield in and was cleaning the glass. The key was that this guy was 64 years old and had actually installed several C10 windshields over the years. He was aware of the problems associated with the install and used old school tools (plenty of soapy water and rope).

He had some tips for me:
Lay the new seal out in the sun while you remove the old windshield.
Install in a warm environment.
Plenty of soapy water on both the gasket and the windshield lip.
Install the stainless trim into the seal BEFORE trying to put the windshield in.
Plenty of soapy water on the little rope.
Start at the TOP EDGE of the windshield and remove the rope.
Take your time and DON'T FORCE THE CORNERS. That's where they are more prone to crack.

All this said, I think you need an EXPERIENCED installer, quality gaskets and patience.

I would sacrifice the windshield and reuse the seal if it has not become brittle. I hope this helps.

POP

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.

Last edited by NoNeck; 01-22-2016 at 05:21 AM.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:20 AM   #7
Grumpy old man

You should be able to save both the windshield and the glass , Use a plastic tucking tool to work the INNER gasket edge back over the windshield opening flange across the top and down both sides and with 2 (1 on each side ) people be able to lift it out of the opening without any paint damage .

http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/745/Auto.html

You have to find someone who has played this game before . The new glass installers of today just haven't been exposed to this type of removal or install and things can go south real quick . I know everybody says to install the glass from the top first but that requires at least 3 installers 2 outside to hold the glass up and a third to work the rope inside . The biggest install tip is to mark the centers of the glass and opening ,I install them by myself always starting at the bottom to take advantage of Gravity on the install .

Also as a side note to those getting ready to pull their windshield with the polished inserts .

Always Polish the stainless insert BEFORE you pull the old windshield .It's easier done while it's still being held securely in place using a 4" stitched buffing wheel on a high speed air drill /side grinder

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...eel-34743.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...und-96779.html
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
GMCGrim

Dave, I looked for glass shop that had a history of installing glass in hot rods and other classic vehicles. In Spokane it was City Glass for me .

I dropped my truck off with the new gasket and stainless trim and in one hour they called me to pick it up. It looked great no problems at all.
Months earlier I had talked to an older guy at Safelite and he told me to not have the mobile guys do the install but to bring the truck to him and he would do the install with another older guy who had experience with older vehicles.

So I have to say you really have to do your home work when thinking about windshield installs. Even more when it has the stainless trim.
GMCGrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #9
BugzC10

I haven't read everyone responses, but I would look up your local custom car shops. Ask who they use or if they have a resident expert to install it. Don't use the typical auto glass replacement out fit....most of to installers only know how to glue in a windshield. Also use a new Precision seal.
Edit: My wife and I installed the front and rear glass. I watched the front glass install procedure from the Precision website about 10 times. I had a general idea how to do it with rope, but that was years ago. Got it in without breaking...wife pushed firmly on the outside while I pulled the rope and used a hook type tool. I was sweating like a stuck pig all the while, but we got it in perfect.

Last edited by BugzC10; 01-22-2016 at 10:54 AM.
BugzC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
EARNHARDT#3

I never did a windshield in my life. I'm 34 years old and last summer I installed a new windshield in my C10 in about 2 hours including removal of the old one. I guess I'm lucky I didn't know these were hard to do. Especially for someone who's young LOL
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 12:37 PM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post
I never did a windshield in my life. I'm 34 years old and last summer I installed a new windshield in my C10 in about 2 hours including removal of the old one. I guess I'm lucky I didn't know these were hard to do. Especially for someone who's young LOL
Good job. Personally, I'd like to find someone with experience. Does your windshield have an SS frame?

I can't tell by the OP if your windshield is still on, but assuming not. Some excellent videos here. Comments Grumpy?....Nice tip BTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Xg30Q39Cw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOU_0HpS7To
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zegzxrZ754
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQ
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assembly kit for restoring the (a) truck from the ground up. My build thread, and more on the assembly kit https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-22-2016 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:14 PM   #12
Grumpy old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Good job. Personally, I'd like to find someone with experience. Does your windshield have an SS frame?

I can't tell by the OP if your windshield is still on, but assuming not. Some excellent videos here. Comments Grumpy?....Nice tip BTW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Xg30Q39Cw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOU_0HpS7To
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zegzxrZ754
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcJ_lU_VpQ
Nope , No comments I just post some suggestions that have worked for me in the past , I'm sure others have their own tried and true methods .
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #13
69chevy lwb

I don't think age plays a part I'm 21 I can install windshields and back glass in about 30 minutes each by myself. They are not hard just go talk to the installer personally they can tell you how comfortable they are with doing it. Also don't bother trying to save the gasket precision makes an excellent product and you will end up costing yourself an hour of time and likely break the windshield anyways. You also need to know what year stainless you have as they changed the depth mid way through the production and the gasket has to match.
69chevy lwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EARNHARDT#3 View Post

Ive done a few windshields, but none with the trim ... I hear thats the real tricky one to do.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Ive done a few windshields, but none with the trim ... I hear thats the real tricky one to do.
Don't know how tricky, but suffice to say it's got to be perfect. I wonder if anyone can provide a good description how to operate the clips for the frames. Thanks in advance if you would.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #16
NoNeck

Quote:
I don't think age plays a part I'm 21 I can install windshields and back glass in about 30 minutes each by myself.
I guess I should have been more specific... someone who has had EXPERIENCE installing windshields WITH STAINLESS TRIM. Age really doesn't matter. The standard black rubber ones from Precision are much easier to install. The stainless makes the gasket much less pliable and the chances of breaking the windshield by pushing in the wrong place are very high.

We used a professional glass installer because if they break the windshield installing it they provide another one at no charge. You break it, you order another windshield.

Grumpy has some good advice, too.

POP

If it costs you a dollar to make a friend, KEEP THE DOLLAR.
If it costs you a friend to make a dollar, KEEP THE FRIEND.
NoNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 01:56 PM   #17
davepl

That should be my key phrase I think - "Auto glass of the vintage with stainless trim in the rubber seal".

Too bad that blue tint doesn't come off with lacquer thinner, I'd be done already!
Old 01-22-2016, 06:37 PM   #18
davepl

I agree, it wasn't about age so much as how many of these you've done, and I presume that the older the installer the greater number he or she has seen, particularly if they've been doing it 25 years, because these were beaters/drivers/just trucks back then.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:06 PM   #19
Precision Parts
Tech Help

I would recommend John at Rainier Auto Glass: http://www.fixyourglass.com/
He's done a number of the classic style installs.

This install can be tricky and have came up numerous times before, so we made an install video to help out.

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Derek

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #20
davepl

If I watch the video am I going to wind up doing this myself? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...
Old 01-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #21
Precision Parts
Tech Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
If I watch the video am I going to wind up doing this myself? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing...
Maybe But if you haven't installed a windshield seal before, I probably wouldn't start with this one. It is a little tricky.

This is the original thread that prompted us to make the video in the first place. It's an interesting read.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...shield+install

Some more light reading.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...shield+install

Hopefully you won't have the issues that a lot have experienced in these threads.

-Derek

Updates
Subscribe --->Installation Videos
Follow ------->Instagram
Like---------->Facebook
Precision Parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 03:41 PM   #22
stomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNeck View Post
... used old school tools (plenty of soapy water and rope).

He had some tips for me:
Lay the new seal out in the sun while you remove the old windshield.
Install in a warm environment.
Plenty of soapy water on both the gasket and the windshield lip.
Install the stainless trim into the seal BEFORE trying to put the windshield in.
Plenty of soapy water on the little rope.
Start at the TOP EDGE of the windshield and remove the rope.
Take your time and DON'T FORCE THE CORNERS. That's where they are more prone to crack.

POP
Only thing I did different than above was started at the bottom. Let gravity work for you.

And I'd add slap the glass with an open palm to get it in - never a fist.

I've done 3 or 4 with great success. The last couple went in 1st try no problem. Never cracked one.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:14 AM   #23
warndogg

davepl- I also had my installer break 2 windshields trying to install with the Percision gasket. There is a guy local in Olympia "Franks Pick Em Up's" I believe, that sells the gasket that we got to work. I think it was like 40 bucks for the rubber. I tried asking wich brand gasket he sells but he refused to tell me. Anyways it worked! Get that and then call around to find someone who knows how to rope in a windshield.
warndogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:58 PM   #24
54belair

Dave,

Go to Youtube--there are at least two videos on windshield installation (ON our Trucks).

It really is simple, Ive done about everything to a car----Except glass work---until this build. I called a couple local glass shops---and because of its age, they didn't want to do it (one of them actually told me they didn't know how).

I did it in about 45 minutes with the help of my wife to just hold a little pressure on the glass while I pulled the cord and pulled out the gasket .
It really is a job Anyone can do with a little patience. I had the same fear as everyone of breaking the glass---but you really don't exert that much pressure.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #25
mikess396

I've never replaced or installed a windshield of this type. I watched Precision's video a couple times, and my 13 yo and I popped this one in a half hour. On a 2 day old paint job. Although we didn't have to mess with fenders hood and cowl, it went right in. Just took our time, roped the primary lip over and hooked and fingered the pinch weld lip over. The only thing we did different than the video, was use soapy water on the truck and the rope/seal.
Attached Images

mikess396 is offline   Reply With Quote