The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
Jferrante

Refresh Wiring in 64

Wanted to get some input from the group - I have read through each thread in the FAQ section about replacement wiring harnesses and think it is something I would like to tackle. I have just recently pulled my wiper motor (original to the truck and not working), heater blower motor (not working) and radio (aftermarket hack job and not working) all out and add to that all gauges and speedo aren't working.
With all that my thought process is that I might as well replace everything so I am not chasing down wiring gremlins from original old wiring.

Now my question to the group is this - is this a job an inexperienced weekender can tackle or am I getting myself into something I won't be able to get out of?

Once again from what I have read it seems to be very straightforward and the directions are clear but is it difficult for someone without experience in this?

Thanks again
Jferrante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
earl84

Re: Refresh Wiring in 64

I had no wiring experience, and installed an American Autowire kit. It took a long time, but it is nit difficult work. Sure does feel nice to get it all updated. I think I probably had about 40 hours into it. I had a difficult time with soldering for some reason, I ended up buying a soldering gun and it worked very well for me. Also added the headlight relay and a third brake light at the same time. Both work great and are not hard to do. If you have the old harness still in there, leave the old wires going up to the dome light so you can tie the new wires onto it and fish it up in there easily. And keep the old harness around for reference.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:17 PM   #3
Jferrante

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl84 View Post
I had no wiring experience, and installed an American Autowire kit. It took a long time, but it is nit difficult work. Sure does feel nice to get it all updated. I think I probably had about 40 hours into it. I had a difficult time with soldering for some reason, I ended up buying a soldering gun and it worked very well for me. Also added the headlight relay and a third brake light at the same time. Both work great and are not hard to do. If you have the old harness still in there, leave the old wires going up to the dome light so you can tie the new wires onto it and fish it up in there easily. And keep the old harness around for reference.
Thanks for this - the guys in this thread speak highly of that kit too and I am beginning to read the directions http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=375602

besides soldering gun what other tools needed?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:19 PM   #4
Tazimafied

If you are going back to stock you can also use LMC's wiring harnesses. Its all plug and play.
Tazimafied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:48 AM   #5
spacedebris

wiring is not real difficult as long as you take you time. Do not get in a rush. I've rewired a number of cars/trucks over the years and on pre-75 vehicles I would say that you should be able to do it in a weekend unless you run into an unexpected problem.

Things that you should have on hand are...(unless you are using a plug and play wiring kit. Some kits need terminating and some dont)

wire cutter/stripper. (most kits are complete but sometimes you need to trim or modify)
some shrink tubing (make sure you put it on the wire before you solder them together LOL ask me why I remember that so well)
wire terminators... blade, spade and ring.
A few grommets (replace any through firewall grommets while your at it)

something like this this is all you need.

Although I prefer to solder and use weather proof connectors like this this

And finally I'd have some wire loom and electrical tape handy. Yes you can just let the wires go, but while your at it you may as well make it neat and tidy.

If you are really worried about it, do it on a long weekend if it is a daily driver.

EDIT:

Oh, almost forgot, get some dielectric grease dielectric grease to use on any and all external light sockets (turn signals, headlights, tail lights,etc) You can also use on any internal light connectors as well but its not as critical. Just ones subject to weather) A lot of people leave this step out as it can be messy, especially when changing bulbs and such but properly used and packed it can really keep the sockets in good condition for a long time.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009

Last edited by spacedebris; 01-29-2016 at 05:09 AM.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #6
mark 66

Just started the install of our new american autowire kit. not overly complicated. comes with very good schematics. quality harness.just take your time.dont cut ANYTHING until your happy with its layout and routing.
mark 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:36 AM   #7
chevy2tom

Post Re: Refresh Wiring in 64

I've got an AAW kit for my 64 c10 I'm just waiting for warmer weather before I start mine.
chevy2tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
Jferrante

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedebris View Post
wiring is not real difficult as long as you take you time. Do not get in a rush. I've rewired a number of cars/trucks over the years and on pre-75 vehicles I would say that you should be able to do it in a weekend unless you run into an unexpected problem.

Things that you should have on hand are...(unless you are using a plug and play wiring kit. Some kits need terminating and some dont)

wire cutter/stripper. (most kits are complete but sometimes you need to trim or modify)
some shrink tubing (make sure you put it on the wire before you solder them together LOL ask me why I remember that so well)
wire terminators... blade, spade and ring.
A few grommets (replace any through firewall grommets while your at it)

something like this is all you need.

Although I prefer to solder and use weather proof connectors like this

And finally I'd have some wire loom and electrical tape handy. Yes you can just let the wires go, but while your at it you may as well make it neat and tidy.

If you are really worried about it, do it on a long weekend if it is a daily driver.

EDIT:

Oh, almost forgot, get some dielectric grease to use on any and all external light sockets (turn signals, headlights, tail lights,etc) You can also use on any internal light connectors as well but its not as critical. Just ones subject to weather) A lot of people leave this step out as it can be messy, especially when changing bulbs and such but properly used and packed it can really keep the sockets in good condition for a long time.
Thanks for this - I have the electrical kit mentioned above and this isn't my daily but I would like for the truck not to be down for long after I start the project - looks like I can do the kit in steps and focus on the interior and gauges first etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark 66 View Post
Just started the install of our new american autowire kit. not overly complicated. comes with very good schematics. quality harness.just take your time.dont cut ANYTHING until your happy with its layout and routing.
Thanks for the heads up. I am leaning to the autowire 500560 kit since the schematics looks like the easiest for my low IQ head to understand. Did you rip out your entire harness first and start at it or did you do it in steps?
Thanks guys!
Old 01-30-2016, 06:59 AM   #9
mark 66

took it all out. started with mounting fuse panel. wires kinda just lay out. I did get all new firewall rubber grommets. old ones very hard.
mark 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:38 PM   #10
Joemomma1

Quote:
took it all out. started with mounting fuse panel. wires kinda just lay out. I did get all new firewall rubber grommets. old ones very hard.
Did you have a hard time with the grommet when the engine harness meet the dash harness? I can't get it on there right.
Joemomma1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #11
65chevysub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma1 View Post
Did you have a hard time with the grommet when the engine harness meet the dash harness? I can't get it on there right.
I ibstalled a reproduction dash harness in mine 20+ years ago. I just wish I would have had the cluster out then plug it in rather than trying to put the bulbs in while upside down under the dash. The only issue I had with the harness grommet for the engine was it didnt want to stay plugged in, so I put some glue on the grommet to keep it plugged in. No problems since.
65chevysub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:12 PM   #12
Jferrante

Well I went ahead and bought the Autowire 500650 from Summit. Should be here Tuesday and I will update with my progress. I started to pull out the harness and cluster so I am getting familiar with what is currently in there...seems relatively straight forward; basically a harness to the front lights and horn, your "engine" harness (starter, alt, etc.), wiper and heater motors, and then gas tank and rear lights.
My plan is to tackle cluster first and move from there. Wish me luck
Old 01-31-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
Jferrante

Quote:
Started to remove mine today and the engine grommet was rock solid, made it hard to pull the harness through. Ordered new grommets, thanks.