The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2016, 10:06 PM   #26
redbaron

Re: Pity Party

I spent 16 years trying to buy our K10 from the original owner's widow. The first time we talked, she told me what she wanted for it but wasn't ready to sell it. She had it priced high and I offered her 1k more to test the waters. She wasn't ready to sell, but I showed her that I was a serious buyer. Always treated her with respect and also spent time just talking with her. She really liked our son Jordan, who also treated her with great respect and conversation. She told me another guy had it on his trailer and the cash in her hand at one point and she changed her mind. Sometimes things are just meant to be.

BTW we drove it out of there.
1969 Camaro Protouring LS7 T-56 Project
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:21 AM   #27
davischevy

This one pulled into the convenience store I was at. I asked about the truck and the guy said he was a 60-66 man. I said sell this one to me. He did. It was no bargain, but it was there.
Attached Images

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 01:24 AM   #28
davischevy

I tried to buy this one a while back, but couldn't get it done. I went by the other day and he has started on it with rattle can primer.
Attached Images

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:00 AM   #29
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
I tried to buy this one a while back, but couldn't get it done. I went by the other day and he has started on it with rattle can primer.

Survivor "Lil’ Mint" (67 c10 40k mile light green original paint)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh) SOLD
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh) SOLD
68bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 02:31 AM   #30
sawyerrm

Thanks for the encouraging words and stories. It's amazing to me how these threads take a life of their own and head in different directions. Please keep 'em coming.

I think this problem

http://pbua.com/images/rustrail.jpg

is contributing to this problem

http://pbua.com/images/rustdoor.jpg

This is our rainy season and truck is outside.

Rob
sawyerrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:13 AM   #31
ho70

notes, nope. Talk to them and then hand them your card for future...
ho70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:08 PM   #32
volksworld

i hate to say how many vehicles i've asked to buy and the people refused and later found them in my buddy's junkyard...with the forks of the forklift run thru the windows and another car stacked on top of them
Old 01-25-2016, 07:17 PM   #33
Orange Crate

I worked with a guy that had an old German car and I let him know if he ever wanted to sell it to let me know. About two years later he approached me with a price. I didn't even haggle, I just said OK! I still own that one. So patience and money can get you there, if you know what you want. Last year I found a note in my storm door from someone that was "really interested" in it and that really made me mad, because they saw it in my garage....
Old 01-26-2016, 01:35 PM   #34
Tork?

Living and parking in Chicago I get a few notes each summer. I think the note thing is fine but they need to be professional. Half the time words are spelled wrong or it's written on the back of a Burger King receipt and just says "Wanna sell? Call Me. -Darrel". I used to call but they all thought they "discovered" the truck and want a bargain. Good luck with your $3500 Darrel.

Tork? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:05 AM   #35
sawyerrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
sometimes people just don't realize their price is too high. i've bought things for well under half of the initial asking price. i was very sensitive and courtious, but communicated the value to me and why. and kept the door open by letting them know if they changed their mind to let me know. and i had to wait for them to come around. it doesn't happen every time but you have to keep that door open! if they really are priced too high they will figure it out eventually on their own. when they do (or if they run into a financial pinch) you need to be the first on their mind!
Got a text with a reduced price. At the recommendation of many I suggested we stop texting and discuss face to face, he agreed. Maybe I'll take him to breakfast next week. If nothing else we can have a few laughs and get to know each other better.
Old 01-30-2016, 03:33 AM   #36
Ironangel

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. Made me reflect back to the purchase of my first 72 C-10 a few years ago and the chain of events that led to my first sight of truck. Folks out here in small town USA dont leave any notes because you'll usually run into one another at the grocery store or filling station. I've had people come to the house and ask if they were for sale, especially since I've acquired another 72 C-10 two years ago when I retired. High School kids really like them and I sell them extra parts when they come around. I do get a rich farmer now and then at the fuel pump ask me if she's for sale, I smile and tell them, "I wouldn't trade her for two of them new trucks your driving"...They smile and concur with a "she's a fine lookin truck." I had a fella, an older gentleman follow me for a couple miles all the way home before Christmas last year. I thought he was a real estate agent my wife had done some recent business with. But nope, he was a local farmer that had seen the truck in town lately and just wanted to tell me how much he liked seeing that old truck around town. We talked for quite awhile and he told me that he owned a junk yard and repair shop right down the road that is long since gone now. I could see that he was a good upstanding man and when he told me his name I knew his family was well respected for generations in the area. I asked him in for some coffee but he declined, he just wanted to meet me and tell me how much he liked my old truck. I shook his hand and told him dont be a stranger, I need somebody to guide me some good farm pond fishin this Spring...These old Chevy trucks are about as Americana as it gets, they represent an era in American history that no amount of money can buy...~Ghostrider~
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 03:34 AM   #37
SFBay69

The story may be worth the price difference one day. Just sayin...GOOD LUCK!
SFBay69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:01 AM   #38
Skidder865

I don't give up asking because it does work sometimes. I just purchased my 72 SWB Custom Deluxe this way. Couple years back I asked a lady that worked at Lowes if the truck was for sale and she politely said No. After seeing her in Lowes for the past couple of years, she asked me a month back if I was still interested in her truck? Which I was. After inspection and haggling I bought the truck for what I think was a fair price. The key is, if you really want to buy it you should offer a fair price and not a low ball price. I have purchase three of my other cars this way. Sometimes you just need to build a relationship with these people. Just my .2cents
Skidder865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:10 AM   #39
Skidder865

I bought my 69 1/2 Superbee this way, called the lady every two weeks for a year. She would always say the car was for sale she just wasn't ready to let it go as it was her brothers whom past away. I'll never forget, one rainy Sunday night I called while driving home. I knew I would get the same story as always but I was still going to call. This time instead of saying she wasn't ready to sale, she said come over tomorrow and we will talk about it. Well by the end of the week it was sitting in my garage. I was so happy I had to go out that evening and check to really make sure it was mine. And no it's not for sale...lol One day it will be, just not today....
Old 01-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #40
Ken B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder865 View Post
I bought my 69 1/2 Superbee this way, called the lady every two weeks for a year. She would always say the car was for sale she just wasn't ready to let it go as it was her brothers whom past away. I'll never forget, one rainy Sunday night I called while driving home. I knew I would get the same story as always but I was still going to call. This time instead of saying she wasn't ready to sale, she said come over tomorrow and we will talk about it. Well by the end of the week it was sitting in my garage. I was so happy I had to go out that evening and check to really make sure it was mine. And no it's not for sale...lol One day it will be, just not today....
You called her every two weeks for a year? I guess you got what you wanted but if it were me I would have changed my number! LOL
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:04 PM   #41
undertaker72

I never give up on asking , and I have wandered into cow barns to ask the farmer if hell sale , sometime helping load or unload a few bales of hay , at least you are getting acquainted I have been able to land a few trucks and old cars also I like the chase or the qwest , always looking for friends that don't have the gonnies to ask I have 4 children and 11 grandchildren , and they will all take one of my cars or trucks and my memories , when I take the dirt nap , or maybe il trade them for more , there is plenty here , and you know the saying you cant take it with you on the ride
1969 Camaro hugger orange hounds tooth

Last edited by undertaker72; 01-30-2016 at 04:57 PM.
undertaker72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 04:35 PM   #42
Coley

Smile Re: Pity Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder865 View Post
I don't give up asking because it does work sometimes. The key is, if you really want to buy it you should offer a fair price and not a low ball price. I have purchase three of my other cars this way. Sometimes you just need to build a relationship with these people. Just my .2cents
Perfect...but also there in lies the rub.
Low ballers seem to be generally 75% of the buyers market it seems.
Very few guys will come to the table with a reality price vs. a 'hopeful/dream score' price....often to the insult of the seller.
The thing that gets me is when the potential buyers open up the conversation (along with a lowball offer) with everything based on what is wrong or missing on the vehicle....rather than what they like about it....talk about poor communication and negotiation skills...lol
Then they wonder why they never acquire anything through this type of purchasing/search method.
I always try to be positive about what I'm viewing if I'm trying to swing a deal. However, I'm also honest about where my $ line is and I easily but respectfully walk away when the number doesn't work.....because 99% of the time, there will always be another one coming along if you keep your eyes open.

Very interesting thread and some good insight in the opinions and methods here.

All Good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 09:41 PM   #43
davischevy

Lets look at the anti-pity party.

A while back a friend of mine called and wanted to know if I was interested in buying his 55 Chevy. I said no.

Fast forward a month and the same guy asked about an SUV I had on craigslist. He said he would like to have it but his wife said she didn't know where he would get the money. I said I'll trade for the 55. He said OK.

I went from not wanting the 55, to loving it, just that fast.
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2016, 03:53 AM   #44
El Dorado Jim

I have bought several trucks over the years by seeing them in someone's yard and stopping in and asking about them, talking to the owners face to face is the way to go, I have left alot of notes on vehicles and front doors of houses, and have never heard from these folks.....
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:24 PM   #45
sawyerrm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
Perfect...but also there in lies the rub.
Low ballers seem to be generally 75% of the buyers market it seems.
Very few guys will come to the table with a reality price vs. a 'hopeful/dream score' price....often to the insult of the seller.
The thing that gets me is when the potential buyers open up the conversation (along with a lowball offer) with everything based on what is wrong or missing on the vehicle....rather than what they like about it....talk about poor communication and negotiation skills...lol
Then they wonder why they never acquire anything through this type of purchasing/search method.
I always try to be positive about what I'm viewing if I'm trying to swing a deal. However, I'm also honest about where my $ line is and I easily but respectfully walk away when the number doesn't work.....because 99% of the time, there will always be another one coming along if you keep your eyes open.

Very interesting thread and some good insight in the opinions and methods here.

All Good
Coley
I think we're within $2K, depends on how much to repair the rust and paint. Please see pictures

I know my North East friends will roll their eyes . . .

My budget for purchase and body/paint work is $12K. So if the body/paint is $4K, I could offer $8K and stay in my budget. If the body/paint is $6K, then I could only offer $6K. I'm hoping I can drive the truck to Rodz Body Shop in San Carlos and get a written estimate. Then my neighbor and I can make an informed decision which is fair to both. If either of us decline, that's cool, important thing is to remain friends and good neighbors.
Old 01-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #46
Dave K.

Nothing wrong with asking. Unfortunately idiot shows like Counting Cars and Arse Monkey Garage have changed things up and now everyone fancies themselves a flipper. I have a beat up (but rust free) 70 Cuda Convertible stored away north of me and every once in a while swing by and take it out. I love talking to the idiots that somehow think I'm a dullard who doesn't have a clue what it's worth. Of course I always make sure people don't follow me home--there are a lot of scum bags out there and a lot with loose lips..... who speak to the wrong folks. Remember, some of these folks hitting you up might have another agenda and it has nothing to do with BUYING the vehicle. Be careful in other words and don't tell folks too much....
Dave K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 08:44 PM   #47
Skidder865

I asked her if she minded me calling and she said "no." It all worked out for both...lol
Old 01-31-2016, 11:01 PM   #48
Average Joe

Quote:
Lets look at the anti-pity party.

A while back a friend of mine called and wanted to know if I was interested in buying his 55 Chevy. I said no.

Fast forward a month and the same guy asked about an SUV I had on craigslist. He said he would like to have it but his wife said she didn't know where he would get the money. I said I'll trade for the 55. He said OK.

I went from not wanting the 55, to loving it, just that fast.
That musta' been some suv. That '55 is gorgeous!!

An Average Joe and His 'Burb:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=775843
Average Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:49 PM   #49
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
That musta' been some suv. That '55 is gorgeous!!
Yeah, I left out the part about the bundles of Ben Franklins I had to give him to boot.

I tell the story that way in case my better half overhears me.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:01 AM   #50
redbaron

Quote:
Yeah, I left out the part about the bundles of Ben Franklins I had to give him to boot.

I tell the story that way in case my better half overhears me.
You Won
1969 Camaro Protouring LS7 T-56 Project
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote