The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
daveklein

Fuel Gauge Problem

My fuel gauge reads way off......When I fill the tank it pegs the needle to the full side and then moves down but not even close to enuf.....It was still just on the full mark and I put 10 gals in it...I just put a new gauge on the dash but it's the same as old one....Is there any way to adjust the needle position?? Or do I have to bend the float on the tank sending unit ?? I hooked up the old gauge wrong one time..(hot one side,,ground on other side) so I thought I cooked it but the new one is the same ???? I really don't know if it worked correctly when I bought truck cause I've been repairing other issues from PO....Help ?? Dave..
daveklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Fuel Gauge Problem

Look at this.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=640615

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #3
daveklein

Thanks...That is great info....Now I suspect my ground (or lack of it) on sending unit...And my seat has to come out to get to it..
Thanks,,,Dave
Old 02-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #4
Gromit

If you have the bench seat you can just remove the rearmost seatback bolt on each side and loosen the front-most seatback bolt a few turns and then tilt the seatback forward..

So no need to entirely remove the seat to access the sender. At least with my '70 bench..

Though as I've stressed perhaps too much for some here before be careful with static electricity or metal on metal sparks with the sender off - If I had a full aluminized nomex fire suit and helmet and respirator I would wear it if messing with that sender and a 3/4 tank of fresh gas..
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
If you have the bench seat you can just remove the rearmost seatback bolt on each side and loosen the front-most seatback bolt a few turns and then tilt the seatback forward..

So no need to entirely remove the seat to access the sender. At least with my '70 bench..

Though as I've stressed perhaps too much for some here before be careful with static electricity or metal on metal sparks with the sender off - If I had a full aluminized nomex fire suit and helmet and respirator I would wear it if messing with that sender and a 3/4 tank of fresh gas..
EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!!!!!! \

And do not ever run a power wire to the sender thinking it has to have voltage. It may heat up the resistor to the point of igniting vapors in the tank and the result would be disastrous.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #6
daveklein

Thanks for the advice guys...I'll be extra careful.....And good idea for the seat !!!!