The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
Slambone

Steering Coulmns

Hey guys. Which company sells different length steering columns? I could've sworn it was CPP or Brothers. Also what is the stock length?
Slambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 08:06 PM   #2
Heater63

Re: Steering Coulmns

I have a stock 63, column shift, sitting here that I can measure.
Do some research on the feedback and the safety of ebay/chinese/lower cost units.
I am going with Flaming River....american made, has direct fit kits and can build to your dimensions needed. $$$ but worth it for me.
Old 02-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #3
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Before you buy any steering column, I HIGHLY recommend you read this. It could save your life and everyone around you.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents/in...ng_Columns.pdf
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
Slambone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater63 View Post
I have a stock 63, column shift, sitting here that I can measure.
Do some research on the feedback and the safety of ebay/chinese/lower cost units.
I am going with Flaming River....american made, has direct fit kits and can build to your dimensions needed. $$$ but worth it for me.
That would be great if you can measure it and let me know. I agree I don't want any Chinese crap in my truck. American made is the way to go. The other stuff just never fits right anyway.
Old 02-03-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
Bradfather

I will be adding power steering to my C20, Will I still be able to use the original steering column? Or would I have to track down a whole new setup? I also want to shorten the original one (if I can still use it) to like 9 inches away from the dash instead of the 2 feet away from the dash like it is now. Is that something that can work or is it hard to do and I should just go buy a whole different setup?
Bradfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
The1960APE

I have used both Flaming River and IDIDIT. I do not like the way IDIDIT requires you to cut your old steering shaft, grind on it and use a DD coupling with set screws, I actually drilled everything and used pins and I still don't feel very warm and fuzzy about it.
Flaming River on the other hand sends a DD slip shaft that slides inside the Column and cannot rotate or come loose, it is a MUCH better design, you can bolt or weld the shaft directly to a steering UV joint, I just ordered a Flaming River for my 1961 Apache and the fit is fantastic! I am very pleased!
The1960APE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #7
The Rocknrod

I've read on here that people use a 32" column. That's what I plant to buy.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:09 PM   #8
Heater63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slambone View Post
That would be great if you can measure it and let me know. I agree I don't want any Chinese crap in my truck. American made is the way to go. The other stuff just never fits right anyway.
I will measure the old oem one tomorrow.

I'm going to order one of these in stainless:

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.ph...0003/FR21000P2
Old 02-03-2016, 10:10 PM   #9
Heater63

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1960APE View Post
I have used both Flaming River and IDIDIT. I do not like the way IDIDIT requires you to cut your old steering shaft, grind on it and use a DD coupling with set screws, I actually drilled everything and used pins and I still don't feel very warm and fuzzy about it.
Flaming River on the other hand sends a DD slip shaft that slides inside the Column and cannot rotate or come loose, it is a MUCH better design, you can bolt or weld the shaft directly to a steering UV joint, I just ordered a Flaming River for my 1961 Apache and the fit is fantastic! I am very pleased!
THANKS! I feel better about the purchase I am about to make.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:36 AM   #10
The1960APE

Quote:
That is the exact one I purchased! I can shoot you pics if you would like, I have it here at my shop right now!
Old 02-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #11
The1960APE

Quote:

Here is something to keep in mind, I sent you a message but I will just explain it in here!
When my column arrived...The same one you are ordering the Neutral Safety Switch was dead center of the firewall, It would not work although the fit was perfect otherwise. I called Flaming River and sent them a pic, they immediately called me back and said their design was based off of fitting a 65 truck, they were super nice and admitted an over sight claiming it was a direct fit for a 61, I sent it back they replaced the tube and moved the NSS up towards the dash 3 inches.
This might not be the case with your 63, I don't know if it would be the same from firewall to mounting screw as a 65 or 61 but hopefully this will help!

If you measure from your factory column mounting bolts (up near the dash) down to the firewall that should give you an idea if the direct fit unit you are looking at will fit, if not they will move it for you free of charge.
My first column from Flaming river was about 14-1/2 inched from mounting hole to NSS that is when is fell right dead in the middle of the firewall, the replacement which is still the same part number just modified by Flaming river is 11-1/2 inches from mounting hole to NSS, this moved the NSS further inside the cab!
It fits perfect!

Old 02-04-2016, 02:43 PM   #12
Heater63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slambone View Post
Measurements on original 1963 3 on the tree column shift. No steering wheel mounted on these measurements.

Shroud face to tip of 3/4 shaft (rag joint) 54"
Shroud face to end of shifter tube 32"
Shroud face to firewall about 27"...this is an angle of course
Shroud face to angle cut outer beauty tube 9-9.5"
Shroud and cone 4"
Old 02-04-2016, 08:48 PM   #13
Slambone

Quote:
Measurements on original 1963 3 on the tree column shift. No steering wheel mounted on these measurements.

Shroud face to tip of 3/4 shaft (rag joint) 54"
Shroud face to end of shifter tube 32"
Shroud face to firewall about 27"...this is an angle of course
Shroud face to angle cut outer beauty tube 9-9.5"
Shroud and cone 4"
Thank you! Think I'm gonna check out Flaming River too