The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
70cst

Circuit Rider Tornado Damage Update & Hagerty Update

I met with the Hagerty Insurance Adjuster this morning & it couldn't have gone smoother.

He took pictures and did the preliminary estimate - he said it looks to be up to $18,000 in repairs. WOW

He also suggested I go to the "The Egyptian Body Shop" as they do work that the average Dealership cannot. Since I have no rust or bondo - he wants the dents to be pounded out and lead be used in the repairs.

Next step is to meet with Don Boeke - the owner

The Egyptian Body Shop

http://egyptianbody.com/custom-body-work/
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!

Last edited by 70cst; 02-04-2016 at 06:10 PM.
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
special-K
Special Order

Re: Circuit Rider Tornado Damage Update

Sounds like things are moving in a good direction. Glad to hear it.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #3
70cst

Cool Body Shop
Attached Images

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

Old 02-03-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
flashed

Glad you are being treated well by Hagerty but Im not surprised ,they were great to me ,and that is a cool bodyshop .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:10 AM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
He also suggested I go to the "The Egyptian Body Shop" as they do work that the average Dealership cannot. Since I have no rust or bondo - he wants the dents to be pounded out and lead be used in the repairs.
Lead. Really?
Automotive fillers have come a long way.
Are you sure you want to subject your sheetmetal to the heat source from installing lead?

From the web:
Lead is the original filler. It is a non-ferrous metal (i.e. won’t rust and a magnet will not stick to it) that melts at a low temperature and relatively (compared to other metals) easy to work. It’s advantages are: when the paint is removed from a car, one cannot tell whether the repair was done at the factory, before 1970, or by someone who used original materials. For some, it comes with bragging rights, "my car has no Bondo, only lead." The disadvantages of lead are: it work hardens as the car vibrates and becomes brittle over time; it is less flexible and has less adhesion than modern polyester fillers; it is more expensive; it is more difficult to work than modern fillers; and, the fumes it puts off while being applied are toxic. Personally, I see no reason to use lead, other than someone wants to be original and recognizes that the repair will be more expensive and less durable than one done with modern materials. Unless you are painting your car in lacquer for originality sake you should really not be using lead.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 02-03-2016 at 11:18 AM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:34 AM   #6
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Lead. Really?
Are you sure you want to subject your sheetmetal to the heat source from installing lead?

From the web:
Lead is the original filler. It is a non-ferrous metal (i.e. won’t rust and a magnet will not stick to it) that melts at a low temperature and relatively (compared to other metals) easy to work. It’s advantages are: when the paint is removed from a car, one cannot tell whether the repair was done at the factory, before 1970, or by someone who used original materials. For some, it comes with bragging rights, "my car has no Bondo, only lead." The disadvantages of lead are: it work hardens as the car vibrates and becomes brittle over time; it is less flexible and has less adhesion than modern polyester fillers; it is more expensive; it is more difficult to work than modern fillers; and, the fumes it puts off while being applied are toxic. Personally, I see no reason to use lead, other than someone wants to be original and recognizes that the repair will be more expensive and less durable than one done with modern materials. Unless you are painting your car in lacquer for originality sake you should really not be using lead.
I am using the term the adjuster uses - its possible its lead plus other compounds ... I looked at the work this place does and its impressive - This Body Shop under normal circumstances would be out of my price range - In this case I will go with Hagerty as far as where to go and the type of repair - they are spending a good
bit of money and they will warranty the work. But - I will ask. Good info. Thanks

Old 02-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #7
mcbassin
Still Learning

It sounds like Hagerty is treating you right with the estimate. I would see if they use any of the latest body fillers like Evercoat Rage Extreme or similar. I have had outstanding results on a few paint jobs I've done.
With the metal work done proper, you will have VERY minimal filler used. As long as they use premium products, your paint work will last a long long time maybe a few decades isn't unreasonable.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:43 PM   #8
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
It sounds like Hagerty is treating you right with the estimate. I would see if they use any of the latest body fillers like Evercoat Rage Extreme or similar. I have had outstanding results on a few paint jobs I've done.
With the metal work done proper, you will have VERY minimal filler used. As long as they use premium products, your paint work will last a long long time maybe a few decades isn't unreasonable.
Thanks

Old 02-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #9
special-K
Special Order

We have "The Greek" (Creative Colors) around here . I would expect that's a quality shop that does quality work using quality materials. Probably 2nd going on 3rd generation. With Haggerty suggesting it, it's your best bet and no reason to doubt. It's good to know they were willing to spend that much. I think classic will go beyond the dollar parameters used on regular ins. Could be wrong

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:06 PM   #10
70cst

Re: Circuit Rider Tornado Damage Update Hagerty Update

Update ...

I spoke with Hagerty and they said that I could purchase replacemment parts from any supplier -- of my choice. Since 90% of the parts used in my restoration came from Wes - I will continue to use Wes (Classic Heartbeat).

The parts I purchase off these forums - I just need to get an email listing parts, price, and person.

Hagerty continues to be very easy to work with.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #11
Sicklajoie
The Niner

Re: Circuit Rider Tornado Damage Update & Hagerty Update

I'm glad things are headed in the right direction for you.
Niner Progression Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=697183
Classic Trucks article: https://www.motortrend.com/features/...et-c20-driven/
Sicklajoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #12
Spartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Update ...

I spoke with Hagerty and they said that I could purchase replacemment parts from any supplier -- of my choice. Since 90% of the parts used in my restoration came from Wes - I will continue to use Wes (Classic Heartbeat).

The parts I purchase off these forums - I just need to get an email listing parts, price, and person.

Hagerty continues to be very easy to work with.
We used lead on the porches way back when. We still use it (a blend of sorts) in architectural sheet metal work. All metals work harden. I wouldn't have any worries about it. New materials are just as toxic just in different ways but once the paint is on...
Glad to read your being treated well and the circuit rider will have a tale to tell.
Posted via Mobile Device
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #13
JHT67

Get that beauty fixed up and back to the mill for storage.
Going through life's daily grind, I can feel the effects of this physical body's fleeting days, But with a young spirit I look toward a brighter day, knowing that in the eyes of eternity, I am but a babe in the arms of my Lord.........
JHT67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:18 PM   #14
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT67 View Post
Get that beauty fixed up and back to the mill for storage.
Once I get her fixed up - I am putting her on the road - Its time I let her run wild sort of speak

Old 02-04-2016, 08:54 PM   #15
rsgt

The Egyptian Body Shop sounds like a high quality shop. Ultra high end shops around the world use lead for body work.
rsgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 09:00 PM   #16
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgt View Post
The Egyptian Body Shop sounds like a high quality shop. Ultra high end shops around the world use lead for body work.
Here is their LINK

http://egyptianbody.com/

Old 02-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #17
PAWS 72

Glad everything is going good for you and the circuit rider. Glad no more damage than was is there.

By the way I love the truck.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:12 PM   #18
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Lead. Really?

From the web:

Keith,

All of the filler used on my '36 Ford was lead. That was back in 1962 when I originally built the car. I have had no problems with cracking or adhesion in the 50 years the lead has been on the car. It has been driven a lot because for quite a few years it was the only car I owned. I will say this, the metal in that car is twice as thick as the metal in our trucks, so I'm sure that would make a difference. When we re-did the car in 2012 we left a lot of the lead alone because it was still in good shape.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 11:23 PM   #19
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Keith,

All of the filler used on my '36 Ford was lead. That was back in 1962 when I originally built the car. I have had no problems with cracking or adhesion in the 50 years the lead has been on the car. It has been driven a lot because for quite a few years it was the only car I owned. I will say this, the metal in that car is twice as thick as the metal in our trucks, so I'm sure that would make a difference. When we re-did the car in 2012 we left a lot of the lead alone because it was still in good shape.

LockDoc
Thanks for the info Leon and Keith ... I know very little about metal repair but this body shop is a preferred shop for Hagerty Insurance - that gives me confidence.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:31 AM   #20
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Very very cool! Glad to see the truck will be in good hands!

Your truck is almost an exact copy of the truck my dad bought in 1973. He still has it. 1970 CST. Even has the same mirrors. Main differences are same dark green color with no two-tone top, and a SBC with a Richmond T-10 4-speed.

So naturally, your truck is one of my favorites on the board.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote