The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #1
cpavelko

Hi-Lift Jack - Bumper Lift

Hello,
I currently have a lifted Blazer with sport bumpers and want to be able to jack up the vehicle in case I get stuck / need to change the tire. I have a Hi-Lift jack but do not have jack points. Trying to figure out some options.

Has anyone used the bumper adapter on the 67-72 bumpers?
http://www.hi-lift.com/accessories/bumper-lift.html

I know the stock jack location for 4x4's are under the axle but wasn't sure if the bumper could hanlde the load. I'd think it would bend.
cpavelko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Grumpy old man

Re: Hi-Lift Jack - Bumper Lift

Your bumper will bend use a small 4 ton bottle jack ,There cheap ,easy to store and when or if you ever get stuck they work better than a high lift for raising the axle .

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...FU4YHwodD1UIOg
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:23 PM   #3
In The Ten Ring

I am curious about the jack also. I don't think my truck's original owner ever used the jack.....he never had a flat tire.

Where would the jack points be for each wheel?
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
cpavelko

The Jack points would be at the end of the frame rails at the bumpers. Typically with Aftermarket bumpers there is a jack point hole around these locations.
cpavelko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:48 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Factory bumpers are wimpy when it comes to 4wheelin'. I always made bumpers and used the Hi-Lift. A factory bumper won't take the weight of the vehicle without damage. I didn't start putting factory bumpers on my trucks until I had ones I didn't wheel.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:08 PM   #6
jeffahart

I carry 2 - 12"x4x4 blocks in my bed. Sometimes for chock, but handy for putting under the jack if necessary. I'm currently carrying the stock jack. And back in the day, that little turd(looks are deceiving) got the crap used out of it! I gravitate toward bottle jacks and stacking rubble under them, but I'm a bit of a caveman.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
franken

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
I carry 2 - 12"x4x4 blocks in my bed. Sometimes for chock, but handy for putting under the jack if necessary. I'm currently carrying the stock jack. And back in the day, that little turd(looks are deceiving) got the crap used out of it! I gravitate toward bottle jacks and stacking rubble under them, but I'm a bit of a caveman.
I was thinking the same. Maybe some scrap in the bed to make pads from.

Sorry, no recollection of the hilift connection points...
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:51 PM   #8
Mike C

The factory jack is awesome. I think I have half a dozen of them. Every trailer I own with a storage box gets one thrown in it! As mentioned above, an assortment of blocks is handy as well. The 2x4 jacks from the newer trucks are interesting with a lip that starts at the bottom of the jack that goes on the control arm. That could be a solution to carry along with the 4x4 jack.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:44 PM   #9
jeffahart

And for those of you that have never changed a flat with large profile off road tires; you will realize you may get the flat tire off, but if you have a high profile spare then your vehicle may not be high enough to get the spare on the lugs. So, drive the flat onto the 4x4 block to get some height on the axle. Then block up the jack and your in business.

PS, If your spare is a smaller diameter you win on not raising the vehicle twice, but you need to NOT run 4wd if the flat is in front replaced by smaller diameter spare. And if you got a Detroit locker in the rear and a rear flat. Off comes a front wheel to replace with a spare, and the front wheel goes on the rear to replace the flat(especially if your on road)!

Fun, and I mean it, I love this $hit!