The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
wilkin250r

Re: how do I get my doors to close easily instead of having to slam them

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
Without being there to see & work it...it can be tough to say what is going on for sure. A likely cause for a door with good hinges to close poorly is that it is in too far at the cowl/a-pillar & is binding on the weatherstrip. Unfortunately due to the incorrect shape of some/many replacement body panels, sometimes this can be a problem without much solution.
What you can start with is a sheet of paper...sitting in the truck, place it between the door & weatherstrip & pull the door shut...see how much tension it takes to pull the paper out. Move the paper from top to bottom closing it in there & trying the pull test. You will likely find a place that is real tight...the curve above the upper hinge is common.
If you find an area, try moving the door outward slightly to see if that helps. At this point it is a matter of if the fender can be moved to look correct or not. Hope This Helps, Lorne
I've always heard this referred to as the Dollar Bill Test, because the strip of paper people often use is a dollar bill.

And the last couple sentences I think are the key, because if your door is binding up on the weather stripping right near the hinge or near the vent window, no reasonable amount of adjustment in the striker will fix it.

Sometimes you get lucky and it's a single-issue fix, like "door pins" or "striker bushing", but it sounds like you have already eliminated those. Now, it might be a matter of deciding how much work do you want to go through to fix it, like shimming both door hinges AND body panels to match.