The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-12-2006, 07:45 PM   #1
kna4977

Help! How in the heck do you remove a 69-72 Blazer Rear Hatch Handle????

I just purchased a replacement rear hatch handle from Brother's to replace the one that is on mine that is very pitted, but I can't seem to get the old one off. As the service manual said, remove the plate at the bottom, remove the ring holding the latch in, remove the 2 screws on the outside, this is where I ran into trouble. I ended up having to drill these out and re-tap the screw holes. The problem is, I can't get the housing that has the spring mechanism and the piece that the 2 rods for each side latch apart from the latch handle itself. Can anyone give me any pointers on what to do? Also, the clips that hold the rods that run to the side latches broke. How is the best way to fix these????
kna4977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
hotrodhomi

Re: Help! How in the heck do you remove a 69-72 Blazer Rear Hatch Handle????

I have a replacement in my garage because I couldn't get the old one off. I thought the square part the turns would just slide out. Thats not the case.
hotrodhomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:46 PM   #3
badpeanut
Not a bad nut after all..

I've also had problems getting the shaft of the handle to slide out of the housing that holds the torsion spring. I ended up cutting the handle off nearly flush with the outside of the hatch using an angle grinder (protect your glass from the sparks). Judging from the trouble I still had getting the remaining shaft out of the housing I would not have accomplished it on the Blazer. The handle shafts are a snug fit when new, and once they rust in place they are difficult to get apart.

I don't have any suggestions on the clips. The clips for the door lock knobs are somewhat similar, but would not work for me. I had to rig one of mine up with bailing wire for now.
'71 Blazer 4x4 driver
'70 GMC LWB trailer
badpeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:10 AM   #4
jakeslim
Premium Level Member

i grenaded a good handle off of a spare hatch one time trying to get that bastard off. It just cracked in two due to the hammering, pulling, pushing..etc.

I did get it apart(for the other parts)but only with a press and some funky angles.

77 K5 - 383, auto, 6" lift, D60 front, 14b rear, 39" tsl's,
jakeslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 01:47 AM   #5
71jimmy

There are two pins that can be removed. One pin is at the bottom, or end, were the spring is, you would think that once removed the spring etc would slide off the shaft, but usually too much rust to budge. The other pin is at the bottom of the handle, I ended up taking it out and the handle came off and I slid everything out.

As far as the clips, don't know yet. I need one. I'll be going to a hardware store to see what I can come up with.

"If life was fair you'd be able to afford one of each and a garage large enough to house them all."
71jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:05 AM   #6
BobbyK

Location: Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,Mi.

Unscrew the two screws on the outside plate.

Then from the inside remove roll pin or cotter pin,this will allow the T-handle to slide out.WD40 or PB Blaster may be needed depending on how rusted it is.

To remove the actual handle from the mounting plate,punch out this roll pin.

To remove the latch rod spring return mechanism just remove this clip.Be carefull as the return spring will unload.Note the position of the spring before you unload it.

To remove the bracket just unbolt the nuts.

As far as replaceing the latch rod retainer plate...making one should be easy enough.

Go to your local hardware store or steel supply shop and get some flat stock roughly the same thickness.Cut out the same shape and drill some holes...shouldn't be too hard.

Last edited by BobbyK; 08-13-2006 at 02:15 AM.
BobbyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:39 PM   #7
pound41

Lightly sand the square shaft and put some crc etc on it. So that when it initally breaks free it will slide out. Then take a C-clamp. Put one end on the end of the shaft and put the other end on the spring bracket part or the bracket that holds it to the hatch. It will be sort of cocked. But slowly apply pressure. Its like pressing out and old ball joint or something. I have 4 used hatches. I have removed all the t handles this way without any damage. Good luck
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:29 PM   #8
sviray

Does anyone have an extra bracket with the 2 bolts shown in the pics? Hard to find item. I can pay for it by PayPal. Please pm me thx!

To remove the latch rod spring return mechanism just remove this clip.Be carefull as the return spring will unload.Note the position of the spring before you unload it.

To remove the bracket just unbolt the nuts.

As far as replaceing the latch rod retainer plate...making one should be easy enough.

Go to your local hardware store or steel supply shop and get some flat stock roughly the same thickness.Cut out the same shape and drill some holes...shouldn't be too hard.[/QUOTE]