The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #26
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Re: Title question washington and bill of sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennuck View Post
Read the link Grumpy posted very carefully. Also go to Canada Border Services website and read all the information on importing into Canada.

I did this 2 years ago and it went pretty smooth for me. I bought it from a used car dealer who had the title in the owners name. His wife was a notary so he got me all the documents notarized as required. I faxed the documentation 72 hours ahead of showing up at the border. Make sure you export it at one of the designated export locations you can't do it at just any crossing.

They will not tell you ahead of arriving at U.S. Customs if the vehicle is eligible for export. That's why it important to have all documentation in order and notarized as required. I also called both border agencies to confirm I understood all the paperwork requirements.

Canadian Customs will want to see documentation that the vehicle was made to applicable motor vehicle safety standards at the time of manufacture. This is on the blue door jam sticker and must be present or they may not allow it in the country unless you can prove it was manufactured to these standards. I didn't know this was a requirement as it is not specified in the importation rules. Luckily it was in place and intact and yes they did physically look for it.

Hope this helps.
Over the years I have imported a half dozen 67-72's from all different parts of the USA and have never been asked or questioned about the applicable motor vehicle standards at time of manufacture. I do know different Border Crossing (American and Canadian ) don't all play by the same rules. I've never imported through an Ontario Border Crossing just Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Alberta.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:29 AM   #27
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
You're right, I caught that and edited my post but you replied in the meantime capturing my error for posterity :-) You're right, the US is very involved in the export stage for whatever reason.
Probably to protect its citizens from having a stolen or vehicle with a lien exported to a foreign Country.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

Old 02-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #28
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
What does it cost to just have a broker handle the whole situation ?
Lots and you the owner still have to do the leg work.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #29
dubds10
Stalker Nate

First you don't need a broker to do everything. There's a few of them who will just do the new online requirement for $150. I forget the name of it but the new requirement actually has more to do with the US & IRS keeping track of money than us. It was easier before this came into affect of course.

The 72 hour wait has always been in affect and you can only bring it across between 8-4:30pm as the US guys need to inspect the VIN tag to make sure it matches with the paper work you submitted 72 hrs prior. I typically trailer the cars so no insurance or I drive them if the PO has current insurance on them still.

Proper paperwork includes signed Bill of Sale, signed Title, printout of where you found the vehicle just incase CBS asks for it. The US guys don't need it. Only exporting to the US requires the NAFTA paperwork from the manufacturer, not Canada.

After the US guys approve the paperwork & vehicle, you go into the BC side and pay tax and they stamp out a few forms. From there go to a Canadian Tire or any shop that does inspections. Remember the vehicle must be rust free and in perfect operational condition to pass the vehicle inspection. If not, then you need to do all the repairs first and then get it inspected unless you know a shop who will pass anything. CV has been cutting down on those shops though.

It's a simple process but with our exchange the truck has to be dirt cheap to make it worth while. I've imported and sold tons from WA to here, but lately stopped due to exchange. I see a few jokers locally doing it and asking way too much for these trucks lol Usually better off looking over all of BC for one unless you got a killer dealer. And make sure it's actually a deal and not based on BJ pricing lol

Instagram - TheDonutDiner
FaceBook - @UscreamIscream

Last edited by dubds10; 02-12-2016 at 12:38 PM.
dubds10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:49 PM   #30
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

You are right but the RIV or Federal Inspection is only for vehicles 15 years or newer. If you import a 67-72 into Canada RIV ( Registar of Imported Vehicles ) has nothing to do with it. Your comment about bringing it across between 8-4:30 because of the US guys must be a Washington State thing. I've exported vehicles ( at North Dakota Borders ) at 11:30 at night with no problems . I have discovered over the years that not all the Customs folks ( USA or Canadian ) do things the same way.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #31
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Already Gone View Post
You are right but the RIV or Federal Inspection is only for vehicles 15 years or newer. If you import a 67-72 into Canada RIV ( Registar of Imported Vehicles ) has nothing to do with it. Your comment about bringing it across between 8-4:30 because of the US guys must be a Washington State thing. I've exported vehicles ( at North Dakota Borders ) at 11:30 at night with no problems . I have discovered over the years that not all the Customs folks ( USA or Canadian ) do things the same way.
Yes RIV is for newer vehicles, but that's not what I was talking about. The ITN requirement in online & new. Here in BC we need a provincial inspection done as well. The OP is in Vancouver. The WA guys only do it 8am-4:30pm. In other States it may be different though.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #32
joejiz

Thanks everyone, so helpful and so glad I found this forum.

On another note my friend who imported a motorbike Harley awhile back(1 year ago) had to come back to get bike because he tried to import it on a weekend and they said to come back during the weekday.

So just one of those things that if I were to do it I'd just choose weekday to increase my chances for whatever crossing I used.

Flat deck makes life a lot easier that's for sure!!!
joejiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #33
dubds10
Stalker Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejiz View Post
Thanks everyone, so helpful and so glad I found this forum.

On another note my friend who imported a motorbike Harley awhile back(1 year ago) had to come back to get bike because he tried to import it on a weekend and they said to come back during the weekday.

So just one of those things that if I were to do it I'd just choose weekday to increase my chances for whatever crossing I used.

Flat deck makes life a lot easier that's for sure!!!

Yes, 8am-4:30pm during the week only can it be imported. Stick to using the truck crossing as it's quick usually. Aldergrove still does the import I believe, and usually pretty good to work with just sometimes they get busy as it's smaller. Sumas has always been good to deal with also. Never imported anything through Peace Arch though.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:58 PM   #34
Coley

Smile Re: Title question washington and bill of sale

Like some of the other Canadian members I've imported several vehicles...some older and some newer.
I've never had a problem.
The trick is simply to get and ensure you have the right paperwork....no big deal.
As mentioned:
-Correct, signed U.S Title
-Bill of sale from that same owner? (no cousins, no neighbours, no buddies, no friends wives, or kids....no one else except the titled owner)
..and remember no 'funny' bills of sale listing the vehicle as $350 value....they won't buy it at the border. Make sure your bill of sale is legit and shows well...it can be hand written.
Personally, I do up my own and get the owner to fill in a few simple blanks (price, vin, name, phone number, date) and sign it...no big deal and makes it easy for the seller.
From there...it starts to get easier.
-Insurance? my insurer gave me a temporary trip permit on the vehicles without inspecting it....I told them the vin showed them some paperwork...and got a simple trip permit.
Remember, It doesn't matter if you bought it in Winnipeg or Wyoming...same deal for the insurer, same process.
The same holds true for a mechanical inspection...whether you bring it from winnipeg or wyoming...it has to be inspected (once) to get it licensed....no big deal...do the repairs yourself if you want to save a few bucks.
Canadian Tire is the crowd favorite for this inspection...they have done thousands of import vehicle inspections.
You'll pay some tax at the border..then your provincial tax in whatever province you register the vehicle at that time....take your visa card with you.

Now, here is a new twist to the import/export stuff. Canadian border towns (including Vancouver) are full of U.S transporters buying and hauling newer vehicles back to the U.S for resale. The difference in the dollar is now making this popular and a lot of vehicles are being picked up at auction, dealerships and in private and moving back across the border to the U.S...interesting times.
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:03 PM   #35
joejiz

thanks for more tips.
joejiz is offline   Reply With Quote