The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2016, 02:03 AM   #1
jeh

Small brake booster???

What are you guys using for a brake booster that is smaller than factory? Some of them I've saw on here look to be maybe a 7" or 8". I used on new complete one from CPP but I think the smaller ones would give me some much needed extra clearance on the BB valve cover. Thanks, Jason
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:26 AM   #2
un4gvn!

Re: Small brake booster???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh View Post
What are you guys using for a brake booster that is smaller than factory? Some of them I've saw on here look to be maybe a 7" or 8". I used on new complete one from CPP but I think the smaller ones would give me some much needed extra clearance on the BB valve cover. Thanks, Jason
Hi Jason, CPP has the universal 7"and 8" inch boosters. Make sure to measure the space between the studs on your old booster because they have several measurements to use. They come without the brackets. If there is nothing wrong with your master cylinder, you only need a booster. A lot less expensive for just the booster. I just got done reading your build. We have a lot in common. I restored a 69 CST 396. I now have over $50,000 in it which I will never see again. Like you, I spared no expense. Bought top name brand parts. Someone told me the problem with that is the top of the line parts anymore are made overseas. He told me to buy top name brands but only the older parts. If you can find them unused, that will be a plus. I also had a rough time getting every little thing to work the way it should only to have it mess up the beautiful detailed piece and everything else around it too. Yet I still can't stop myself from stop doing.it. Once it get's in the veins, your addicted. Good Luck!!
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:30 AM   #3
un4gvn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn! View Post
Hi Jason, CPP has the universal 7"and 8" inch boosters. Make sure to measure the space between the studs on your old booster because they have several measurements to use. They come without the brackets. If there is nothing wrong with your master cylinder, you only need a booster. A lot less expensive for just the booster. I just got done reading your build. We have a lot in common. I restored a 69 CST 396. I now have over $50,000 in it which I will never see again. Like you, I spared no expense. Bought top name brand parts. Someone told me the problem with that is the top of the line parts anymore are made overseas. He told me to buy top name brands but only the older parts. If you can find them unused, that will be a plus. I also had a rough time getting every little thing to work the way it should only to have it mess up the beautiful detailed piece and everything else around it too. Yet I still can't stop myself from stop doing.it. Once it get's in the veins, your addicted. Good Luck!!
Here is another sight. POL (PerformanceOnLine.com)
un4gvn! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #4
Willy Prost

Another option if you have power steering would be to use the hydroboost system found on eightys caprice sized gm and trucks (mostly diesel).

I just replaced one of the high pressue lines on a friends 84 caprice.
The hydroboost unit is smaller than a brake booster.

You dont have to worry about enough vacum to run the brakes if you have a wild cam in the vehicle.
Willy Prost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 10:43 AM   #5
jeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by un4gvn! View Post
Thanks for the info, yes, once you have an addiction for these old trucks its there for life!!! Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Prost View Post
Another option if you have power steering would be to use the hydroboost system found on eightys caprice sized gm and trucks (mostly diesel).

I just replaced one of the high pressue lines on a friends 84 caprice.
The hydroboost unit is smaller than a brake booster.

You dont have to worry about enough vacum to run the brakes if you have a wild cam in the vehicle.
That would be nice since I don't have a lot of vacuum at idle, huh, even more decisions now
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

Old 02-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
jeh

This is a picture of the "Roxy" build, I hope you don't mind me using it, but this is the setup I would like to go with. I don't know if this is something universal or vehicle specific. I'm sure some of you guys have something similar or some good helpful info. Thanks
Attached Images

'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

Old 02-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #7
jeh

I've done some research today and Wilwood offers everything I need for a reasonable price. Now I'm just wondering if the smaller booster will work against the small amount of vacuum on a pretty lopey cam?
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2