The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2016, 08:57 AM   #1
Jaik

57 big window, quick build

Hi guys, been reading threads and builds for quite awhile now. Lots of great stuff on here. I picked up my apache in the fall. I had recently bought a 1953 f100 and my dad was selling his corvette. I came across the add online for the apache saying he was I terested in trades. So my dad traded his vette for the apache and we then traded trucks.
Jaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
Jaik

Re: 57 big window, quick build

Its been awhile since I've posted a build thread in any forums. So I will see if I can get pics from my FB linked to here.

When I first picked her up and got her on the trailer.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #3
Jaik

The truck came with a 327 and 700r4 trans.
It is sitting on a 68 C10 frame.
Drums all around.
Pretty decent shape for a Canadian truck.

I plan on getting it road worthy and do a quick restore this time around.
I live in Ontario Canada and my GF lives in Michigan originally from florida. So we just sent away our first round of paperwork for my Visa. If all goes well we will be moving to florida in the fall.

Some more pics

At home in the garage with my dear old dad
Old 02-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
Jaik

Garage space is tight because my dad is building my old 53 at the same time. He is getting more involved than I am because I came across a good deal on a 2010 crown vic interceptor for a donor that we couldn't pass up.

Pics

Old 02-18-2016, 09:24 AM   #5
Kim57

Welcome.
Looks like a real clean truck.
Kim
Old 02-18-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Jaik

I will be the first to admit that I have a problem. I have quite a few projects on the go. Some I have put on the back burner. I will post pics for those that like pics.

My 78 ironhead that I am making into a rigid. I also plan to have this finished by summer. I have done some work to it already. I got it near stock.

I bought a Voodoo Vintage hard tail DIY kit for it. My plan is to paint it to match the truck. My dad and I do all our own work. We still have lots to learn but we can get by.

Our 1913 REO

With the REO, it has the original motor and trans. When it was put away the PO filled the cylinders and everything with oil. It was owned by an older gentleman that restored vehicles for a living. This one was held onto in hopes that he would get to it but he never had the time and it was given to us by his son in law who is a friend of ours because he knows that we will treat it right. I love this old truck and plan to restore it when the time is right.

I have a 68 rainbow of colors coupe that I have lost interest in for now. Its pretty close to being finished but other projects have taken priority

Here is a 67 FB C code that I bought with a numbers matching motor. The floor is finished and needs new fender aprons and this is my dream car so I couldnt pass it up. I plan on doing a complete and proper restoration on this one later on. I didnt want to half ass this one so its in storage right now. Best part is I only paid $1200 for it
Old 02-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #7
Jaik

Thanks Kim57. It is pretty clean. I have done lots to it already. I am still uploading pics. lol

My truck came with all the glass and it is in pretty good shape.
I was getting tired of looking at my truck all in different colors. And I hate primer so I bought some cheap satin black from Atlas Auto and sprayed both trucks. It makes it so that I am more enthused to work on them. And I have an idea of what it will look like finished. Tricking myself. lol

I took out the bench seat that I got with the truck because it was pretty rough. I have power leather buckets from an old Tbird that I got for 100 bucks when I bought my 68 mustang.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #8
Jaik

It was about this time that I found a sweet deal on a 31 model B pickup cab that I couldnt pass up. So I got my buddy dave to help me bring it home. The plan is to make a rat rod out of it.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:50 AM   #9
Jaik

During this time too I found some rims on Kijiji from a nissan truck. I want to eventually bag my truck. But that is still a ways away. And the rims that came with it were terrible. They were 2 sets combined and way too much offset. So I got them home cleaned them up and I cut a coil out of my from springs. I also did some work on lowering the body. The problem with the 68 frame is that in order to get everything to line up the PO had 4 hockey pucks under each of the cab body mounts. So I took all the pucks out and started lowering the body.

Already looks better
My bumper is just sitting there, I have to make mounts and figure out what I want to do. I think I am going to cut it in the middle and shorten it so that it hugs the truck more. And I like the look of it upside down.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:02 AM   #10
Jaik

During this time I also bought a 22 gal mustang gas tank. I am running it in the back of the rails under the bed. I had to notch the frame a little bit to squeeze it back there. I bought a new 3 core radiator. A 600cfm edlebrock carb. I pulled the motor and trans so I could clean them up and clean up my firewall. The PO had no business using a welder. lol

To make my body work on the frame I have to raise the floor of the bed a little bit. That doesnt really bother me right now. And I had to notch the front of the frame to lower the rad saddle and grille support. And I had to cut down my inner fenders as well. That also made my steering column too long so I cut it down.

Some pics of the tear down

You can see my dads truck and the Crown vic are torn down. There is so much wiring on the Crown Vic its insane.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #11
Jaik

Nice clean tranny.

And some sweet vintage Valve covers I scored off ebay. I painted them up to match the new color of the engine.

Fiberglass over the holes after being welded up.
And I had to make a trans tunnel because the body was lowered. When I rebuild again in the future I will look at using a different frame and put in a brand new floor and firewall. There were some rust holes I had to fill on the floor. I just dont have the budget to replace yet.

I still have lots to do. But I am making good progress on it.
All comments are welcome. Thanks for reading so far.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:52 PM   #12
Jaik

Its not perfect but it is so much better than it was before.

I also got the motor and trans back in.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:09 PM   #13
Jaik

Other little things I've done as well.

Welded in my old gas filler hole. The PO put in a crappy radio and cut the dash up. So I replaced the panel back to stock and I had a whole extra dash so I cut out the hump and added it to the passenger side. I've seen what others have done and made it match the drivers side. I wanted to keep my glove box so I made a filler plate for in behind. I still have some cleaning up to do on it. But I like the look.

A pic of the seats I am going to use.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:15 PM   #14
Jaik

My new tank. I bought the mustang sending unit and am waiting on the chevy one. I will mod them to make one out of the two.

Here you can see how rough my passenger floor was. And the PO just welded the brake filler hole with a ****ty patch so that came off as well.

The trans tunnel will all be covered by a center console I will make out of MDF later. But I wanted thick plate on the floor to add strength back for now. And I plan on having carpet in the truck. So it will all be covered anyways.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #15
Jaik

I bought this as well. It was too good of a deal to pass up on. Its a 28 Model A Tudor. It has a brand new mustang 2 ifs and a camaro rear end. I only paid 1000 for it. I have the whole drive train from my dads 53 f100 that I may use for it. A nice 24 stud flathead with a 3 speed. I think I would also use the solid I-beam axle. Like I said before I have a problem. lol
Old 02-18-2016, 10:30 PM   #16
ChuckDriver
A320 Pilot/USAF Retired

Wow, you are covered up in projects!
ChuckDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #17
Kim57

Nice progress.
Looks good.