The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2016, 01:39 AM   #1
gcm

72 Camer specials 3/4 ton

Hi All

Hope everyone is well

I have a rare suburan im workingnon and have a chance to get a camper special 3/4 to kinda flip to invest more into my suburban now im not aure how mich the camper specials are worth or what options make it a camper special and ita a 350 not a big block. Is it worth getting? I know long beds aren't as desirable but I need some advise please.

Thanks
gcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #2
jocko

Re: 72 Camer specials 3/4 ton

Through 72, they are known as "Custom Campers" (Camper Special was a 73+ thing, even though Z81 occasionally shows up on the SPID as "Special Camper" - it's still a Custom Camper thru 72). The Custom Camper name plate is just that - name plate only. They are more desirable to me, but that's just me, because I like campers. But, in reality, you could have a 3/4 ton truck that is not a "Custom Camper" that has the camper wiring and camper mirrors and any number of heavy duty options - essentially being more camper-capable than the "Custom Camper" badged trucks. A Custom Camper badged truck does ensure some minimum basic capabilities that have to be on the truck before you could purchase the nameplate, but, again, those capabilities could be on a non-cc name plate truck also. Also note that on 65-71, the Custom Camper nameplate replaced the fender trim tag (on chevs) and then, in 72, it moved to the door (so, for example - if you had a 71 Cheyenne Super and Custom Camper combo - you would only have the "CustomCamper20" (or 10 or 30) nameplate on the fender, but you'd still have all the other Cheyenne Super stuff - just not the Cheyenne Super badges on the fender. Whereas in 72, you'd have the Cheyenne Super fender emblems and the Custom Camper script above the door handles). If you post the info on the 3/4 Custom Camper you're considering, can give you more of an idea of worth. But the trim levels drive resale more than Custom Camper nameplates, generally speaking. So, if you have a "Custom" trim level (i.e. lowest) with "Custom Camper" nameplate, it's not worth nearly as much as a "Cheyenne Super" trim level with the separate camper "things" on it, but no Z81 name plate. You could also have 1/2 ton and 1 ton Custom Campers. First 4 pics below are from a 71 brochure that talk about carrying a camper - only pg 2 lists the "minimum requirements" to have in place before you could order the Z81 RPO name plate - but, mirrors, aux batts, wiring, etc are all separately ordered and listed on subsequent pages. 5th pic is a 67 or 68 ad that mentions the Custom Camper option. As for nameplate design specifics - 65 was a one year only badge and is EXTREMELY rare (and I've never, ever, seen a 65 Custom Camper FOR SALE, or even the badge for sale, for that matter... they're THAT rare - and I'm still actively looking for one, would love to find one...). 66-68 had the name plate pictured in pic 5 below. 69-71 had the "CustomCamperX0" on the fender, and 72s had the script on the door. Long winded answer to your question - but, bottom line, flip value is going to much more based on condition, trim level, and purchase price than the presence of RPO Z81. It's more of an icing on the cake sorta thing. And, like I said, some people like that little extra icing, so it COULD help overall sale price if the rest of the truck (condition, trim level, additional heavy duty options) are present. Big block a nice to have, regardless of Custom Camper status, and would add to the value of the truck accordingly, but a 350 in a 72 3/4 Custom Camper is just fine.
Attached Images

Last edited by jocko; 02-21-2016 at 01:53 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #3
jocko

Here are the badges in order:
  • 65 only
  • 66-68
  • 69-71 (this pic form a 71 Cheyenne Super Custom Camper)
  • 72 only
Attached Images

Old 02-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
davepl

GMC gets confusing because a Longhorn is a Custom Camper, but you can get the Custom Camper badge with a towing package. I'm not sure I've got that one mentally sorted out 100% yet...
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
gcm

Ya the custom camper badge is on ghe door for sure and its a custum 20
Old 02-21-2016, 02:30 PM   #6
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
GMC gets confusing because a Longhorn is a Custom Camper, but you can get the Custom Camper badge with a towing package. I'm not sure I've got that one mentally sorted out 100% yet...
I'm not certain that's correct Dave - I think Z81 is a separate option on GMCs also, not incl w/Longhorn. But I could be wrong - would love to see documentation of this if it's out there, always looking to learn something new about these things. GMCs also a little different as they brought the door script online sooner.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:38 PM   #7
gcm

Tried to post pictures it was an add on the Canadian Kijiji site and its gone must have sold...i like the suburbans, blazers and short bed trucks they seem to be more rare in the 67 to 72 era the suburban i have is quite rare fully optione out minus air conditioning 3/4 ton big block 1971 bronze colour. And the rear is a gate not the double doors ......
Old 02-21-2016, 02:40 PM   #8
davepl

I don't claim to understand it myself, but I was fairly certain I've seen the "Custom Camper" door badge on a standard 127" bed truck. I'll have to look, but I'm running chkdsk on my main drive at the moment....
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote