The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
Mrturner1

One set of heads, two different CC's

So I've been working on my first 350 build (some of you have been in my build thread recently) and I picked up a nice set of Pro Topline heads for next to nuthin. They are 67cc chambered and 170cc runners, good for my build. I have them on now, and the valves adjusted and it's ready for an intake manifold, and I call the shop who mag'ed and cleaned the heads for me and the guy says

"you should have had those heads cc'ed while they were here. I've seen heads as much as 10cc difference between a pair, and you might not get the compression you're expecting if they are off the advertised 67cc"

First off, thanks for mentioning that while the heads were there. I'm a total greenhorn at engine building and never even considered this to be a possibility. I dumped some decent coin into the heads based on my getting them for such a great deal, I wouldn't have skipped this cc'ing process had I know it was necessary. And second, is this guy serious or is he trying to make an extra buck? Because when I took the heads there, I noticed that they added a lot of 30 bucks here and 40 bucks there type things that we hadn't discussed. And, when I got the heads back from them after a mag and cleaning, there was powder from the mag still on the heads (not to clean for a 40 dollar cleaning) and some surface rust inside the ports that accumulated while they sat on a shelf in a shop. How did the rust get by a mag and cleaning?

I want to do this right, and I'm not opposed to taking it all back apart if some of you experienced engine builders on here suggest it would be worth it. Motor is on a stand and all sealed up and painted. Also want to mention I'm going for as much compression as possible with fairly fresh 40 over flat top pistons. With those pistons and a 67cc head, I'm guessing I'll be close to 9.5 to 1? Used a .39 felpro head gasket

Thank you guys for any help, this site rules
Matt
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:30 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: One set of heads, two different CC's

Go back and see that guy and take a shovel with you!
Tell him he can shovel his own BS!!
On factory heads you might see a couple cc's difference, but not on an aftermarket set like you have.
Onward!
Get that motor cranking!!
geezer#99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
indymachinist

Don't worry about it. I certainly would not take them back off over it.

My 1968 Chevy shortbed stepside build
indymachinist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #4
Grumpy old man

If an engine shop added anything to my bill without calling first someone would be getting smacked in the head . Your engine will be fine sounds like they might have hiked your ticket a bit but that's part of the learning curve next time make sure your called for any add ons .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #5
Mrturner1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Go back and see that guy and take a shovel with you!
Tell him he can shovel his own BS!!
On factory heads you might see a couple cc's difference, but not on an aftermarket set like you have.
Onward!
Get that motor cranking!!
I'm with ya! Haha

Had to put about 4000 bucks into the house I just got for the new fam so that slowed me down. But money well spent they are happier than ever and I certainly am too, heck I have a barn to wrench in, what more could a guy want?
Mrturner1 is offline   Reply With Quote