The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2016, 02:45 AM   #1
johnscab

My 72 C20 Project

Hi All. I've posted here before asking some questions on my functional resto and have gotten some great help. I found I come here to just take a look at others projects, so I thought I'd share mine!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bz...XdCSjZ6Q0dWYTA

I attached the spec sheet below. I think I'm only the third owner. no idea about miles but it says arond 48k. The truck is pretty original since any ruber part i touch crumbles.

Broad Strokes: 1972 C20, 350 4BBl Rochester, SM465 trans, powerlok rear, aux fuel tank and bex storage box. Its an original california truck and as I understand it was sold as a farm truck in north san diego county. The guy I bought it from was actually given the original title, which was pink. The DMV people were said to have had a field day with it becuase it needed to be surrendered when the truck changed ownership.

Anyway, check out the pix. Thanks for looking.

Cheers,

John
Attached Images

johnscab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Lefkada

Re: My 72 C20 Project

Hi John,

I'm restoring a '72 C20 in Encinitas if you have any questions or want to collaborate sometime!

I drove all the way to Yuma to bring back a CA original truck. =P
Old 02-23-2016, 01:06 PM   #3
johnscab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefkada View Post
Hi John,

I'm restoring a '72 C20 in Encinitas if you have any questions or want to collaborate sometime!

I drove all the way to Yuma to bring back a CA original truck. =P
Great Thank you... have you posted any pictures of your truck other than the A/C pix? would like to check it out.
Old 02-23-2016, 01:26 PM   #4
Lefkada

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnscab View Post
Great Thank you... have you posted any pictures of your truck other than the A/C pix? would like to check it out.
I need to put together a photo gallery when I have a chance, but here are a couple from the past 2 weeks. All body parts are at the sandblaster right now while I mount the rebuilt motor to the frame.
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
johnscab

Nice! Looking really clean. Is that a dana rear? Did you do anything to the motor? I had to rebuild mine due to a oil smoke and gaskets being petrified after 45 years.... I had to go .030 over. the crank was fine and I just put in a mild cam, aluminum manifold and new 1.94 882 heads with hardened seats... again, I am not looking for a full resto since its just a work truck. My cab is in bad shape due to a CB antenna on the roof leaking over the years. the inner roof is all rotted and the rockers and cab corners are gone. I'm going to practice doing the body work on this truck and just have something to tinker on as the time goes on.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Lefkada

Quote:
Nice! Looking really clean. Is that a dana rear? Did you do anything to the motor? I had to rebuild mine due to a oil smoke and gaskets being petrified after 45 years.... I had to go .030 over. the crank was fine and I just put in a mild cam, aluminum manifold and new 1.94 882 heads with hardened seats... again, I am not looking for a full resto since its just a work truck. My cab is in bad shape due to a CB antenna on the roof leaking over the years. the inner roof is all rotted and the rockers and cab corners are gone. I'm going to practice doing the body work on this truck and just have something to tinker on as the time goes on.
Yes, I believe it's a Dana 60.

I rebuilt the motor, minus anything related to the cylinders and cam. I pulled off the heads for a resurfacing and valve job, unfortunately the machine shop found hairline fractures after the magnaflux ;(. So I bought a different set of heads that the shop had lying around.

I'm in the same "practicing" mindset. I need to weld on new rocker panels and footwells, so we'll see how my welding skills are!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #7
johnscab

Quote:
Yes, I believe it's a Dana 60.

I rebuilt the motor, minus anything related to the cylinders and cam. I pulled off the heads for a resurfacing and valve job, unfortunately the machine shop found hairline fractures after the magnaflux ;(. So I bought a different set of heads that the shop had lying around.

I'm in the same "practicing" mindset. I need to weld on new rocker panels and footwells, so we'll see how my welding skills are!
I've done some boddy panel repair and welding if you want to bounce anything off me. I am by no means an expert but sometimes just different ideas can help! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Another question: where are you going to look for parts if you need things?
Old 02-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
Lefkada

Quote:
I've done some boddy panel repair and welding if you want to bounce anything off me. I am by no means an expert but sometimes just different ideas can help! Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Another question: where are you going to look for parts if you need things?
Thanks! I really appreciate that.

If you're looking for new parts, there is Fredstruckparts.com in Escondido (a vendor on this board). For used parts, the "Big 3" Auto Swap Meet is happening this weekend at Qualcomm Stadium: http://www.big3partsexchange.com/
Old 02-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #9
johnscab

Quote:
Thanks! I really appreciate that.

If you're looking for new parts, there is Fredstruckparts.com in Escondido (a vendor on this board). For used parts, the "Big 3" Auto Swap Meet is happening this weekend at Qualcomm Stadium: http://www.big3partsexchange.com/
I know! its late this year. I found a one piece front bumper for my 57 chevy there. Its fun just to walk around and check things out.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:17 AM   #10
DTMsurf

Hi guys, I'm working on a 72 c10 in clairemont, looks better in pic than person. Keep me in the loop if you guys ever want to meet up and talk trucks!
Attached Images

DTMsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:22 AM   #11
DTMsurf

Body pics
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2016, 12:24 AM   #12
johnscab

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTMsurf View Post
Hi guys, I'm working on a 72 c10 in clairemont, looks better in pic than person. Keep me in the loop if you guys ever want to meet up and talk trucks!
Will do DTM! Share some more about your truck. I like seeing all the different configs that were sold. Where is ur truck from?
John
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2016, 12:52 AM   #13
DTMsurf

Little bit of a mystery, haven't decoded the vin yet but it's a lwb c10 350/350 with this plaid interior package I'm just learning about. Has factory AC I'm going to try to get working and had the two saddle gas tanks I just pulled yesterday

I got it in north Escondido from a guy who bought it for his 16yr old daughter. He said he got it in el centro and his daughter wanted a more modern car. I don't think he did any of the work on it as he had receipts for basic stuff like brake work and the electronic ignition he had put on