The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2004, 03:23 PM   #1
loblazer

window glass help needed

Hi gang. I am a new member. Live just outside Toronto, Ontario. I have been reading this site a lot and got a lot of good ideas and info so I thought I better join. Maybe I too can help someone in the future.

I am building a 1980 2wd Blazer with 1984 clip. Dropped 5" front and back with DJM coils, spindles, flip kit and c-notch by me. Belltech drop shocks all around.

8" burb rallies with 4" deep Corvette rings and knock off centres running 275/60/15 Dunlops GT Qualifiers.

350/350/308 with 700R4 in the garage waiting to go in. Currently at my buddy's shop getting floor, new side panels and complete paint. When my son shows me how, I will put up pics of WIP and finished.

I was wondering, can anyone give me tips on how to safely change out the windshield and side glass? I have the glass and don't wnat to break it going in. Not worried about the old stuff coming out.

Thanks, Doug
loblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:41 PM   #2
Gibble
mmmm....Rye and Coke

Easiest way, take the old one out, clean it up, have the new one ready, and slip a pro a few bucks to pop it in.

I did that with my stang and it only cost me something like $40cad for the guy to come down and install it.

For that price, it seemed like less hassle, and less risk of me breaking it.
Gibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
TIMSPEED

Hmm..you're running a 28" tall tire with a 5" front drop? Hmm..OK then!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:58 PM   #4
Gibble
mmmm....Rye and Coke

Quote:
Originally posted by TIMSPEED
Hmm..you're running a 28" tall tire with a 5" front drop? Hmm..OK then!
I thought that was odd too...considering my 28's don't really have much room at stock height if I were to hit a bump!
Gibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 04:38 PM   #5
jared stewart
Silverado Stew

I've replaced the rear glass before without any trouble, never had to replace a front windshield yet. The side glass I've done 2 or 3 times. It's not very difficult, just a little time consuming. You have to be pretty careful and really take your time. It'll seem like there's no way it's going to fit in, but just keep playing with the angle and tilt as you're installing it and it'll eventually go in. I've always had the glass on the inside of the door and if I remember right try to start the bottom right corner in first about in the middle of the door. Keep that angle and lower the window as you gradually kick that corner towards the latch end of the door. It's pretty hard to explain but once you start messing with it you'll figure it out.
jared stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:25 PM   #6
fanman

I agree with Gibble, about installing the windshield. I tried twice, both times I cracked it (good news is both windshields were from parts trucks, so they were free). I think it cost me $150 for a pro to install the new one and 80 of that was for the new glass (with antenna in the glass).

I'm not stuck, I've still got some gas left"
fanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:21 PM   #7
loblazer

Thanks guys for the tips. I was thinking of getting a pro to put windshield in. It is a 87 with antenna and tint bar at top. Got it for $40 so I can spring for a pro. Will tackle the side windows. I also picked up 87 vents so I will do those also.

Yes big tires, I think they are 28.5. I only rub on the fender trim when entering a driveway with wheels cranked. Has a nice ride though. I may even be lower. The spindles were 3" DJM and the coils were 2.5" from Chassis Tech.

I can only put one finger between rears and the fender trim.

When these wear out I will go a little smaller on the front.

Take care, Doug
Old 03-02-2004, 10:14 PM   #8
TIMSPEED

Quote:
Originally posted by loblazer
Yes big tires, I think they are 28.5. I only rub on the fender trim when entering a driveway with wheels cranked. Has a nice ride though. I may even be lower. The spindles were 3" DJM and the coils were 2.5" from Chassis Tech.
Chassis Tech = shAIM. Still though, 5½ with a 275/60 15 is INSANE! I guess I WILL go 5" front drop with 28" then!
Old 03-03-2004, 02:32 PM   #9
loblazer

Yes I agree Chassis Tech is not great. I would never order from Aim.

I ordered from a guy here who took my order and said he was getting Ground Force. They took a week to get here, I had the truck apart and wanted to get back on the road so I took them.
He gave me a 30 day warranty so I could return them for exchange.

They do seem ok though. Had them in for a year now. I don't get any bottoming out and the ride and steering is fine.

Why do you think this drop is insane?