The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #1
65ChevyUtah

After market fenders

Has anyone found after market fenders that are decent ? I ordered a driver side fender from one of the larger companies and it had an extra chunk of metal in the front seam so they sent me a replacement one and this one has defect in the bottom corner so its going back too. Any suggestions on where to go or who not to buy from would be great.
65ChevyUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
65ChevyUtah

Re: After market fenders

Well I sent them back today. Anyone have any suggestions where to get a replacement ?
Old 12-11-2015, 07:10 PM   #3
63burban
Chevy addict

Wherever you get re production sheet metal parts, there is always a certain amount of tweaking to get the results that you want. If you think you are going to buy a re production part that fits perfect you are living in a dream. Welcome to "The old car hobby"
I have been having real good luck with parts from Browns of Two Rivers here in WI.

http://www.cooltruckparts.com/
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #4
donthekawguy

I got mine at fixmyrust.com. Fit really good and free shipping.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:07 PM   #5
Captmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthekawguy View Post
I got mine at fixmyrust.com. Fit really good and free shipping.
How did you get free shipping? I saw that you mentioned that in another post but do not see anything about free shipping on their web site . They want 30 something dollars for shipping which is actually a fair price but I don't see anything regarding free shipping.......
Captmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #6
olschool61

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
Wherever you get re production sheet metal parts, there is always a certain amount of tweaking to get the results that you want. If you think you are going to buy a re production part that fits perfect you are living in a dream. Welcome to "The old car hobby"
I have been having real good luck with parts from Browns of Two Rivers here in WI.

http://www.cooltruckparts.com/
Agree, I ordered both driver & passenger sides through Summit and to make adjustments for each...more on the driver side though. Summit ships their fenders through a third party (Auto Metal Direct). Theres a noticeably weight difference, but anything was better than my rusted eaten fenders. Does anyone know about Goodmark fender quality?
olschool61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 01:53 AM   #7
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

How was the fitment of the 2 pieces spot welded together at the front around the grill on those AMD fenders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by olschool61 View Post
Agree, I ordered both driver & passenger sides through Summit and to make adjustments for each...more on the driver side though. Summit ships their fenders through a third party (Auto Metal Direct). Theres a noticeably weight difference, but anything was better than my rusted eaten fenders. Does anyone know about Goodmark fender quality?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 07:06 PM   #8
olschool61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
How was the fitment of the 2 pieces spot welded together at the front around the grill on those AMD fenders?
I had some trouble with my passenger side while mounting the front of the fender. The inside lip that bolts up to the front support was welded slightly at an off angle making it difficult for the bolts to properly align but I didn't come across that issue with the driver side fender.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
olschool61

A slight gap between the fender and core support but isn't very noticeable... I can't speak for everyone else but it kinda irks me knowing its there... Hope this photo reference helps.
Attached Images

Old 12-15-2015, 10:21 PM   #10
65ChevyUtah

Re: Aftermarket fenders

Thanks for all the info. I realize that aftermarket parts will not fit like OEM but am really disappointed in lack of quality control. I received two fenders and they both have different issues.
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2015, 01:12 AM   #11
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

It looks like the typical issue I see with the aftermarket fenders. Very poor fitup where the front piece is spot welded to the fender.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:16 PM   #12
dodgiesdad

It looks like the typical issue I see with the aftermarket fenders. Very poor fitup where the front piece is spot welded to the fender.

I had this same problem with both of my aftermarket fenders. I found it fairly easy to fix. I drilled out the spotwelds and took the time to align the pieces properly before I rewelded them.
dodgiesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #13
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgiesdad View Post

I had this same problem with both of my aftermarket fenders. I found it fairly easy to fix. I drilled out the spotwelds and took the time to align the pieces properly before I rewelded them.
I had the same issue but was not a big deal I think most all these venders get them from the same place at least its the same quality of work I got mine from LMC
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:04 AM   #14
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

My point is that when you pay close to $200 for new fenders, you shouldn't have to do that much work to them to get them to fit right. A little tweaking here and there is acceptable but not completely reworking that front area......just my opinion.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:08 AM   #15
nsb29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
My point is that when you pay close to $200 for new fenders, you shouldn't have to do that much work to them to get them to fit right. A little tweaking here and there is acceptable but not completely reworking that front areast my opinion.
I agree with that 100 percent but I don't live an the desert now and by the time I buy a pair, then have them shipped, I have to fix the rust because they all have rust LOL it wasn't that bad but next time
nsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:40 AM   #16
65ChevyUtah

After sending two Fenders back to classic parts, I ordered one from Nsane parts and it was better than the other two but still fit horrible. It was made by Tri plus. I emailed Nsane parts and got no response. So I drilled out the spot welds and fixed it.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2016, 01:41 AM   #17
65ChevyUtah

Here's the fixed fender.
Attached Images

Old 02-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #18
dodgiesdad

Good fix! That is exactly what mine looked like. those pictures could be my truck at that point. I also had to adjust the bottom fitment one side, on fender was good the other was off. Check the welds and placement of the hinge mounting plates, although the placement was pretty good on mine the drivers side welds failed and it pulled off when it was under tension with the hood on. It took about 2 weeks of sitting there down to do that. I am just very thankful it did that before I painted them.
dodgiesdad is offline   Reply With Quote