The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #1
TKG Midwest

Brake questions from a newbie

Trying to put brakes on a '51 3100 (from scratch..nothing brake-wise on the truck when I bought it) and as I went to install the master cylinder (supplied by the seller), there are two brake-lines to hook up, one from the rear, on to the front brakes. Did I get the wrong master? Did a previous owner reroute brake lines or eliminate a "T"? Also, is there a clevis that screws onto the master cylinder rod? None of my cataloges have it listed, and the brake manual shows a "eccentric bolt"? any help on this is appreciated
TKG Midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 09:47 PM   #2
jhnpldng

Re: Brake questions from a newbie

Welcome to the forums. As for the first part, there was only one line going to the original MC so maybe he was planning on an upgrade? Only upgrades I'm aware of is using custom brackets to make a newer dual reservoir fit under the floor in the same spot so that the same pedal/linkage can be used.

I pic of the MC you have might help, especially for the second question.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:54 PM   #3
TKG Midwest

From all indications, the master cylinder I got with the truck is the correct one. I was thrown by the two lines...also, I need the yoke/clevis that threads onto the MS rod. Any ideas as to where that beast might be found? Nothing in the catalogs or eBay..thanks. I'll shoot a pic tomorrow and re-post
Old 02-23-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
jhnpldng

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKG Midwest View Post
From all indications, the master cylinder I got with the truck is the correct one.
What indications? Have you asked the seller about it?

People will throw all kinds of stuff together even if it's not the right stuff, just to get higher price and to get rid of stuff. I used to wonder why people don't clean stuff out of their vehicles before selling, let alone just cleaning the vehicle up. Some of it's laziness but since I moved to the sticks where there's no trash pickup, I've come to realize some people see it as a way to get rid of some of there trash. LOL
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/c...+cylinder,1836
The above link is for 51 chevy pickup MC. If it doesn't look like that, it's probably not right. They used that same MC up until the late 50s.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:14 PM   #5
dsraven

it would be good to upgrade the master cylinder to a dual system because otherwise one master does it all and if there were ever a problem you would lose all the brakes instead of just the fronts or the rears. well worth the upgrade if you have to buy something anyway.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:30 PM   #6
mr48chev

This isn't a great photo but it lets you see what the clevis looks like.

The one I have just has a fitting in the back that I believe runs to a T on the frame rail that the front and rear lines connect to.

I think I already stripped the old lines off that frame but I'll get the flashlight and see if I can see anything on it when I get home in about an hour or so. This shows what I believe is the right front brake line running across the middle crossmember. Some trucks may have it looping around from the left front and across the back of the front crossmember though

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:11 AM   #7
TKG Midwest

I'm starting to think the previous owner must have had a dual Master cyl on this...which would explain the re-piping of the brake lines and the absence of the yoke/clevis, which should have been left on the pivot? The master cylinder that came with the truck looks like the ones I see online for the '51..but the prev own through in the wrong shoes and wheel cylinders, so...?
I'm looking at buying a dual and adapter.. If not, I'll put the brake lines back to stock and start the search for a yoke/clevis. Any suggestions on where to find 'em?
This is always how projects start...un-screwing up and deciphering what others have done! I'm enjoying the whole thing, so far! Thanks all for the help and advise!!
Brian
Old 02-24-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
dsraven

I would go with the dual set up but figure out what you want in the end so you only buy the parts once. the master cylinders in the dual set up are usually for disc front and drum rear I think, not totally sure though. what do you want to end up with? in the end you may want to get the dual set up for safety's sake. if you have ever lost the brakes while cruising you will know what I mean.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:31 PM   #9
mr48chev

It's not that hard to build an adapter that bolts to the original master cylinder bracket. You have to build a new (and heavy duty) push rod/clevis setup but start to finish it shouldn't take two hours to design, fabricate and install the bracket to mount the dual master cylinder. 68 Chev C-10 Master cylinders work pretty well in this application.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:09 PM   #10
chevyguyase

Two kinds of fools in the world, those that give advise and those that take it. We love you brother. I think you can tell by the other post most of us would not use a single reservoir master cyl. Unless you are a real purist that wants every thing stock. Please consider at least a dual reservoir master cyl. You will have a single 1" rubber cup between stopping and meeting your maker. But, our parents did it.
chevyguyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #11
TKG Midwest

After further review, I'm convinced to convert to the dual master cylinder. I'm going to go ahead and replace all the brake lines myself (never done this before!) and two questions come to mind...front brakes in one portal, rear in the other, or one side in one, the other side in the other?
Harbor Freight or Eastwood for the flare tool? Oops, one more question..any thoughts on suppliers of adapter and dual mc? I'm looking at the stuff from Classic Parts in K.C. I'll be there Friday anyway ..Thoughts? Thanks
Old 02-25-2016, 05:14 AM   #12
chevyguyase

The kits seem to be all about the same price. They come with pretty good instructions. I bought my kit from Classic. They will want to know if you are running front drum/ rear drum, frt disc/rear drum or frt disc/ rear disc and if want power assist. With some careful planning and measuring you can probably use parts store brake lines and connectors. One port will feed the frt and 1 will feed the rear. If your running drum/drum the lines will feed right out of the MC The others will feed out of a proportioning valve. Be sure to use1/4inch line to the any T that feeds two wheels and 3/16 inch from the T to the wheel. Repost when you get your kit, we will be glad to help.
chevyguyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #13
TKG Midwest

Thanks, I'm on it!