The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2016, 06:29 PM   #1
BadDaddy

Please come to a complete stop

Ok, we finally get to put a wrench to "old blue" this weekend after spending way too long getting some work space cleared out. First order is getting her ready for the engine. Next will be brakes, so let's hear all your thoughts on making her stop. I'm thinking the entire system will need work/replacing. I don't think we need to go all out on 4 wheel discs just yet, but I want to be safe. Keep in mind my 16 year son will be driving her every once in awhile. Sounds like a dual master cylinder is a must and getting the brakes bled is a bugger. Do I want to consider a power booster with 4 wheel drums? Ok, let's hear it.
BadDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:12 PM   #2
Apachemike

Re: Please come to a complete stop

I went with power drums with the mc on the firewall. Stops on a dime
Apachemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 08:07 PM   #3
47 Fasttoys

Disc/drum all the way. Rear disc are over rated, the only issue with drum is brake fade under continuous hard use and water build up in heavy rains. That's where the front discs come in. Many a new truck has disc/drum, it works. The power booster is a plus. With a 16 year old the problem is not the brake pedal it's the pedal to the right.
Rob
Old 02-22-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
Highsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Fasttoys View Post
Disc/drum all the way. Rear disc are over rated, the only issue with drum is brake fade under continuous hard use and water build up in heavy rains. That's where the front discs come in. Many a new truck has disc/drum, it works. The power booster is a plus. With a 16 year old the problem is not the brake pedal it's the pedal to the right.
Rob
^^ This!
Roof Swap on my Panel
Jim's Bread Truck
Highsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
Rickysnickers

I'd also say a power booster. I just recently had to replace my master cylinder as it went bad. I upgraded to one of these, http://www.wilwood.com/MasterCylinde...mno=260-8555-P Very nice and rebuildable!
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:08 PM   #6
Russell Ashley

My thoughts are, a dual master is a must. If it were for me I'd want a power booster. Disk brakes are not a necessity as a good properly adjusted and installed set of drums will do fine. If you are NEVER going to upgrade the front suspension and want disks then go ahead and spend the money on a front disk upgrade. I put it like that because these projects have a way of getting out of hand as you see what the others on the forum are doing and you wind up re-doing things you already spent money on. I spent about $1K on rebuilding my straight axle front end and adding p/s and disks only to remove it all and sell it for $340. I did the same thing with my rear axle/suspension/brakes/driveshaft only to want something better later. Just mentioning some of my mistakes to try to help you from making the same ones, LOL.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 07:29 PM   #7
chevyguyase

Ditto: 47Fasttoys "Disc/drum all the way. Rear disc are over rated, the only issue with drum is brake fade under continuous hard use and water build up in heavy rains. That's where the front discs come in. Many a new truck has disc/drum, it works. The power booster is a plus" Save money some where else on your truck.
chevyguyase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #8
Coupeguy2001

The reason I updated my truck (57 chevy truck) was the fact that with the factory drums, I couldn't stop as fast as all the new cars on the freeway when everybody stopped. Hanging back just allowed more people to cut in front of me.
So, I now have disc/drum set up, dual master, and a hydroboost.
I find that system pretty much allows me to drive with confidence and I don't bite my nails when on the freeway any more, fearing somebody with a miata is going to cut in and throw on the binders.
I can stop with the best of them.
Coupeguy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote