The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2016, 10:41 PM   #1
CoachH

Overdrive maybe?

I have a '54 that we are restoring for my daughter. Eventually we are putting it on a S10 frame with a different engine and transmission. As you know it is geared extremely low so right now it tops at about 55 MPH. Any ideas on how to do an inexpensive change to help with the gear ratio? I heard someone mention adding an overdrive to it, or maybe changing out the rear-end. What is the best low cost option?
CoachH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:57 AM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Overdrive maybe?

Evidently you want to correct it before you do the S-10 chassis, as it will be geared correctly for highway use. The going way is putting in a 5 speed trans from an S-10, as it has the 5th gear o-drive. On that model you will need to change the third member from a 55-62 to get the open drive shaft.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:51 PM   #3
67 chevelle

camaro rear end with 3.08s will cure that , I think its a farely easy swap , but bolt patern and wheels will be different
69 Long Fleet , Custom , 6.0, 4l60 , AC , Medium Olive
67 chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
mr48chev

Everyone's idea of inexpensive is different but you could swap in a T-5 and matching S-10 4x4 rear axle to get decent highway speed and at a later date swap the front suspension and engine an not worry about having the truck tore apart for an S-10 frame swap.

Think about the reasoning behind wanting the S-10 frame if you now have a good solid frame to build on and the options. In other words do you just want an S-10 frame because all the "cool guys" seem to have S-10 frame or did the know it alls down at the corner gas station say that is the "on;y" way to go.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 04:42 PM   #5
chopit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Everyone's idea of inexpensive is different but you could swap in a T-5 and matching S-10 4x4 rear axle to get decent highway speed and at a later date swap the front suspension and engine an not worry about having the truck tore apart for an S-10 frame swap.

Think about the reasoning behind wanting the S-10 frame if you now have a good solid frame to build on and the options. In other words do you just want an S-10 frame because all the "cool guys" seem to have S-10 frame or did the know it alls down at the corner gas station say that is the "on;y" way to go.
haha, tho you aren't that subtle in your approach, I agree with you. If he is already going to trouble to change things up on original frame now, then T-5 and s10 4x4 rear now (or 8.8 mustang gt, etc, whatever floats his boat) and later he can just box frame up front and put a mustang II in it.

And yes I have an s10 chassis
chopit is offline   Reply With Quote