The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

1970 Disc Brake Line Routing

I have a '70 Chevy 1/2 Ton and I am planning the installation of one of the disc brake conversion kits (6-lug rotors).

My brake lines run behind the crossmember and from what I have gathered the front lines have to be re-routed to the front of the crossmember. Also it appears that the bracket that attaches the brake hose to the chassis needs to be welded to the front of the crossmember as well.

There are a lot of options here, and it would almost take longer to describe how to route the new lines than to actually do it. I have a double-flare tool and some tubing benders, so that's not an issue. Can anyone that has performed such a swap post some pics of how they routed their lines?

Also, does anyone have a source for bulk steel brake line?

Thanks!
Stepsides 4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:13 PM   #2
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

The kit I bought used the lines on the aft side of the crossmember without any modifications. Simply disconnected the old hoses and hooked up the new.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 06:33 PM   #3
Stepsides 4Ever
Stepsides Are Bedder

Fred T...

Y'know, that thought occured to me...is where your brake hose mounts parallel to the ground? Mine doesn't appear to be a separate part, but looks to be part of the crossmember stamping, so that the brake hose would have to make a 90 degree turn to run parallel with the frame rail...in other words, the brake hose would make a 90 degree turn from the banjo bolt at the caliper, run parallel to the frame, then make another 90 degree turn up to attach to the mounting bracket. Is that the way yours is?
Stepsides 4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote