The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2016, 02:14 PM   #1
Crazy Rusty

Question Lowering questions

I want to lower my 65 C10 but am getting confused by the different options out there. Right now I'm thinking of just a static drop for cost reasons. I don't want to piecemeal a bag setup together and most of them look pretty expensive.

The static drop for the front looks fairly universal, drop spindles, lowered springs/shocks.

But the back gets a little murky. You have the drop springs/shocks, shock relocators, drop rear crossmembers, drop transmission crossmember, lowering block kits, and c-notches.

At first I thought I needed everything for a 5" rear drop but then it seems like different places use different items. CPPs doesn't have either of the crossmembers or the c-notches while LMC has those but doesn't mention the lowering blocks...

I thought there would be a standard set of requirements for dropping and keeping your angles and whatnot. Looks like you just piece together whatever combination you want.

Does anyone recommend doing certain things over others? Seems like if I don't need a new rear crossmember that saves me some money and time.

Thanks
Crazy Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
Crazy Rusty

Re: Lowering questions

The video of this bag system made me want to buy it... so dramatic.

http://www.ezairride.com/1963-1972-C...it-_p_245.html
Old 03-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Call these guys,..
www.earlyclassic.com
They've been around longer than anyone.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
forestb

If you are looking at 5 inches in the rear I would go with a 2 inch blocks and 3 inch coils. If they do not have 3 inch coils then get the 4 inch and one inch blocks. You will probably want to get shock relocation brackets and new shocks. But I would ask the guys that are selling the parts what they recommend. using blocks helps you keep closer to the proper geometry. If you go much lower than a 5 inch drop in the rear without a c notch than you will probably end up bottoming out on speed bumps and dips and such.
forestb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #5
60chevyjim

LMC dose not recommend 2 inch blocks if you are using 15 inch rims.
if you get a flat tire your suspension will be dragging on the ground ..
60chevyjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #6
txinliner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Rusty View Post
I want to lower my 65 C10 but am getting confused by the different options out there. Right now I'm thinking of just a static drop for cost reasons. I don't want to piecemeal a bag setup together and most of them look pretty expensive.

The static drop for the front looks fairly universal, drop spindles, lowered springs/shocks.

But the back gets a little murky. You have the drop springs/shocks, shock relocators, drop rear crossmembers, drop transmission crossmember, lowering block kits, and c-notches.

At first I thought I needed everything for a 5" rear drop but then it seems like different places use different items. CPPs doesn't have either of the crossmembers or the c-notches while LMC has those but doesn't mention the lowering blocks...

I thought there would be a standard set of requirements for dropping and keeping your angles and whatnot. Looks like you just piece together whatever combination you want.

Does anyone recommend doing certain things over others? Seems like if I don't need a new rear crossmember that saves me some money and time.

Thanks
I first dropped my 65 with spring s well still not low enough and the ride was uhh mediocre spindles spring s the way to go. As far as the rear goes I had a 5 inch drop on springs with no need for a c notch now its 6 1/2 so yea I put one in .btw as low as my truck is it rides damn good can go lock to lock without issues
65c10 43,000 original miles ,230 stovebolt,powerglide,3" drop spidles 3" drop springs w/ half coil cut and 5 drop springs in back with 1 1/2 blocks... c notch soon to add hei offy 4 v intake and holley 390
txinliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:27 PM   #7
TopFuel1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
call these guys,..
www.earlyclassic.com
they've been around longer than anyone.
x2
TopFuel1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:54 PM   #8
Crazy Rusty

Thanks everyone for the information. I ended up ordering 5" drop springs in the rear, lowered shocks, shock relocaters, and a drop crossmember and c-notch in case I want to bag it in the future. I'm redoing the frame and concentrating on the back end right now. Once I move to the front I'll get the drop springs, shocks, and spindles.

Appreciate the help!