The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
DarkFlounder

Gas tank - Under-bed or behind-seat?

The PO of my '72 had removed the original tank and installed a driver-side saddle tank.

I'm getting my replacement bed ready, and I want to replace the tank. So, my options are an under-bed side-fill tank (I'll probably put the filler in the left-side of the bed), or take it back to original.

It's too late to take the truck back to original, so I'm looking at purely convenience, ease of install, and usefulness. The PO put sub-woofers behind the seat, but losing them is not a deal-breaker.

I've also given thought to putting a bigger tank under the bed, maybe a 31gal Blazer tank. It's a long-bed 4" lift 4x4, so under-truck clearance isn't so much of an issue.

Opinions?
Old 03-09-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Gas tank - Under-bed or behind-seat?

Behind seat. I relocated a tank once and won't do it again. Big waste of time, no legroom is gained by doing it.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #3
SS Tim

There are a couple of options.
The best is probably a factory tank reinstalled in the cab.

But Dave had a very successful swap with an 85 Suburban tank in his 4x4.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551269

If you wanted to, a single or a pair of saddle tanks under the bed front would be an option as a stand alone or supplement. Knew of a camper hauler that had all four.

However the bedside fillers are a big issue for most people and wheel well fillers are about the cleanest.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #4
RUN GMC

under truck best chance in case of collision....dont want to be stuck waiting to be extracted with you sitting on it.........i know purist want to restore them like they were......
RUN GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:53 PM   #5
swamp rat

Do an advanced search using key words like blazer tank, suburban tank, under bed tank ect. the subject has been covered hunderds of times so there is lots of information out there on various mods, tanks and filler locations ( side marker fill, tail light fill, filler door install) ect.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
special-K
Special Order

Nothing is more convenient or easier than putting the tank back where the truck was made to have one. Just bolt one in. People who say they aren't safe where hundreds of thousands have been for over 40 years need to give cases to prove that's a fact. Couldn't prove that by me. Has nothing to do with being a purist. Has a lot to do with one of the best designed trucks ever made. Proof is in the 40 year old pudding

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 01:32 AM   #7
El Dorado Jim

I don't like in the cab tanks...I have had one leak, it had a rust hole and flooded the cab with gas overnight, had to remove the carpet and all padding, just glad there wasn't any sparks from anything....I use the area behind the seat for storage, I also don't like the sound of gas sloshing around right behind me....I have two saddle tanks (travel tanks)
El Dorado Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:07 AM   #8
In The Ten Ring

I'd like to move my tank from the cab but just so I can get some room for the ton of tools I get nervous if I can't haul around with me.

For now, my tank is staying in the cab. (I had my tank derusted and "renewed" so I doubt it has any leaks).
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:41 AM   #9
benbloom

Besides safety, which in all likelyhood isnt going to be a relevant factor, think about the extra space you gain behind the bench for more tools, fishing poles, friends, ect. the weight distribution is also probably something to think about, i know my trucks ride better with a couple hundred lbs in the bed. if your starting from scratch i would definitely consider installing under the bed. i plan to make the change whenever i get the chance with my trucks.

special k certainly knows his stuff though, if he says its safe and easiest, that is probably the truth.
benbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #10
EARNHARDT#3

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbloom View Post
Besides safety, which in all likelyhood isnt going to be a relevant factor, think about the extra space you gain behind the bench for more tools, fishing poles, friends, ect. the weight distribution is also probably something to think about, i know my trucks ride better with a couple hundred lbs in the bed. if your starting from scratch i would definitely consider installing under the bed. i plan to make the change whenever i get the chance with my trucks.

special k certainly knows his stuff though, if he says its safe and easiest, that is probably the truth.
20 gallons of gas only weighs about 120lbs. So unless you've got a real big tank and keep it full all of the time I doubt that kind of weight will be noticed to any significant degree.
EARNHARDT#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:40 AM   #11
benbloom

sometimes you have to justify spending a day banging around on a project that very well may not be worthwhile...that being said the extra space does seem worth it to me! love my junk
benbloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
Grumpy old man

'72 long bed 4x4 raised 4" Not stock and not worried about it being stock with that being said .

Drop the blazer tank out back and have the extra fuel for 4 wheeling and the space behind the seat for a 60" high lift jack and tools .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM   #13
special-K
Special Order

This isn't a discussion on where "we" prefer our tanks. He asked what was easiest and my answer is relevant to that. If he has a factory bench seat, it doesn't fold forward, so to benefit from the extra space he would also need to change the seat or use a custom seat cover. Blazer tanks hold 18 gallons. Pickup tanks hold 21.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 03-10-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
Grumpy old man

"I've also given thought to putting a bigger tank under the bed, maybe a 31gal Blazer tank. It's a long-bed 4" lift 4x4, so under-truck clearance isn't so much of an issue."

The seat tracks would allow the seat to move forward far enough to stash a large jack. tow straps and tools . the lowered center of gravity with a frame mounted tank could also only help a raised 4" 4x4 . .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

I missed that, was thinking the typical swap. I parted my '91 V2500 Suburban and considered using the large tank on my '72 K2500. How do they get the other 10 gallons in the same location? The only way to go is down. Mine had the skid plate, but didn't want all that hanging down so low. It's all good. This member is getting plenty of food for thought to make an "educated" decision. I have a K/5 tank for my '67 C1500 with buddy buckets to allow for the speaker boxes to ad to my traveling pleasure. I've lived with the limited space in a pickup all along and am fine with that. I'll have a tonneau cover for a 6' long storage area. We all have our reasons/needs to go different ways. I like to stop to stretch my legs every couple/few hours anyway. I'll be pulling the auxiliary tanks from my K2500 and just run the stock tank. I've been up down out and back all over this country with the factory set-up and never minded the factory set-up one bit

Tim

Old 03-10-2016, 12:13 PM   #16
Jonlopes

Just a quick question. Is it any safer to have the fuel tank under the bed? I remember in the 90's there was a big media scandal about the side saddle tanks on the 73-87 trucks breaking open in a crash because they are not specifically protected by the frame. I would think that as long as the tank is in good condition, the cab is one of the safest places to be.
I would imagine the second best option would be the modification to put a chevelle tank between the frame rails in the back. but you would lose the spare tire mount there.