The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-10-2016, 12:26 PM   #1
klwebb

Arrow Blinker help? 71 c10....

Okay, so my blinkers weren't working at ALL so i took it to a friends shop and they discovered that the bottom half of the fuse box wasn't getting power so they ran a power wire straight to the turn signals, they worked normally for a couple days, but now whenever i turn it left/right it just looks like my hazards are on? same in the front on the grill and the side-markers. everything blinks when the switch is turned, Im thinking its a grounding issue? is there a way to just "add" a ground wire somewhere in the harness? and wheres the best place? any input on anything is greatly appreciated, i think blinkers is all i need to get it down to emissions/registered.
1977 Silverado longbed 350/350
1978 K10 shortbed 350/t400 lifted 6 inches on 33s
"LONGBED LIVES MATTER"
klwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
davepl

Re: Blinker help? 71 c10....

You can't really just "add grounds", though you can make sure all of your body parts are grounded to each other.

If it's a ground issue, you start at the load (the lamp) and work back from there everywhere it needs to connect to get to ground from the black wire coming out of the socket (or the socket ground) back to the battery, making sure there are no voltage drops along the way.

No fancy LED bulbs or electronic relay blinkers or other changes we need to know about?
davepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
kehstr

Are you saying that when you use the turn signal switch the hazards come on?
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 07:10 PM   #4
Security guy

My first though was low on blinker fluid, but next, I'd guess the ground also.. Motor to frame, cab to frame, and I believe bed to frame as well
Security guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
klwebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehstr View Post
Are you saying that when you use the turn signal switch the hazards come on?
Sort of I guess. Both blinkers come on (front and back) when the switch is too the left. When it's to the right both back ones and the front right come on
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2016, 10:17 PM   #6
klwebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Security guy View Post
My first though was low on blinker fluid, but next, I'd guess the ground also.. Motor to frame, cab to frame, and I believe bed to frame as well
Could you fill me in on where those grounds should be?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #7
klwebb

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
You can't really just "add grounds", though you can make sure all of your body parts are grounded to each other.

If it's a ground issue, you start at the load (the lamp) and work back from there everywhere it needs to connect to get to ground from the black wire coming out of the socket (or the socket ground) back to the battery, making sure there are no voltage drops along the way.

No fancy LED bulbs or electronic relay blinkers or other changes we need to know about?
No fancy bulbs or anything like that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #8
snipescastle2

Talking Re: Blinker help? 71 c10....

A while back, I posted a picture of a front light harness, showing where the "Ground" rings were, basically,you need to get an Ohm meter, and check the continuity of the connections in your front light harness.I had a head lamp wire that was grounded and blowing fuses, so, I unbolted the front light harness and engine harness from the firewall (7/16") once you unbolt the harnesses from the fuse block, check the continuity of each wire, end for end, make sure you have no breaks (no readings on the meter) most meters will have an audible "Beep"
If the continuity is good, otherwise, the scale will read "infinity" (maxed out) if not, you have a break.
But keep to keep it simple, check the ground wire back to the fuse block connection, I'll bet you have a break in the ground wire, or it's contacting one or more of the headlamp wires, light green or tan.
The dash cluster has it's own ground, a single black wire with a clip that attaches to the dash sheet metal behind the dash. It is possible that the turn signal switch got damaged during the collision, as if someone may have hit the steering wheel, just a guess...but my guess is that you have a wire or two that got pinched in the accident. Hope that helps... the bottom picture shows a chrome pointer pointing to a ground lug, this is located near the voltage regulator.
Ben
Attached Images

snipescastle2 is offline   Reply With Quote