The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2016, 09:16 PM   #1
esbstuff

Looking for Insurance Comps...

My brother was driving is square the other day and got hit in the side... he's alright, but the truck is most likely done. The body shop bid $7600 to repair so its obviously totaled by the insurance point.

We are expecting a fight from the at fault insurance company. Anyone have recent (last year) comparisons of squares that were wrecked totaled and paid out in that I could use? If you don't want to post them publicly, I understand. Email, messenger or my text would be ok with me.

My brothers truck is an 85 almost all original rust free truck. 350 (swapped) 4-speed, 4x4 loaded truck. The mini van tried pulling out on the road when my brother was driving by. The van spun him 180 degrees. Damage starts at the front bumper and quits at the rear end... The driver of the mini van admitted fault at the scene as he did not fully defrost his windows before trying to drive off on a cold morning.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by esbstuff; 03-13-2016 at 09:35 PM.
esbstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Looking for Insurance Comps...

I can't help much, but insurance companies are only required to pay fair market value for your vehicle that is totaled, so he likely won't get enough money for an equal replacement. He can try to offer repair bills to document higher value. In any case, I would make the best settlement and ask to buy the wreck back - he can likely rebuild it for a lot less than the repair shop quoted, or at least use it as a parts truck for the next truck.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
cadillac_al

Aren't rust free squares going for $5k and up? Just tell them to buy you another rust free square body and you will be satisfied enough; not completely satisfied but close enough.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:23 AM   #4
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

It's been said and said and said. Properly insure your own vehicle and you won't have to worry. That being said, if he has proper insurance and has a decent policy with a stated value, just turn in the claim to his own carrier and let them go through subrogation. That's part of the price he pays for his own insurance every time he pays the bill, the field of lawyers from his company to go after the field of lawyers at the other company.

If he does not have good insurance... hell look on the back cover of the local phone book I guess and call that attorney. The attorney will come out making some money but your brother will still likely get the shaft.

Insurance companies use services to prepare values and to find comps. That sort of thing will hold up a lot better than information someone emails you or texts you... at least in the eyes of a court or even to a total loss adjuster. Just have him make sure the comps are accurate compared to his property.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
RandyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #5
GRADYS Performance

If it was the other drivers fault. The at fault drivers insurance should make him whole again to the point he was at the moment before the damage happened. Value of the vehicle of the not at fault driver is not a question, only the limit of the at fault drivers insurance coverage. If the car was a 100K Mercedes the 7600.00 repair cost would not be an issue. Stand up for the right to have the personal property that was taken away from you instead of letting the Insurance Co tell you what they want to give you.

Last edited by ETsC10; 03-30-2016 at 05:42 PM.
GRADYS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote