The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #1
Paul Y

Fuel Tank- In tank, in line or Swirl Pot? You decide!

Gentlemen,

I am at the point in Woodys build where it has come time to spend some hard earned cash to enable his LS heart transplant.

Therefore, I am looking for opinions and guidance on that old thistle… fuel tanks.

Currently I have the tank in cab, I really don't want to move it to the back of the truck for a number of reasons, the biggest of which is cost. Yes, I know that a tank is not that expensive but factor on the cost of shipping and duty and it just becomes a case of I would rather spend my dwindling pot of gold somewhere else. Not saying i wont have a rear tank in the future but the $800-900 landed cost would be better spent on something more interesting. Like Turbo…

Anyway, as I see it there are two options, possibly 3.

Option 1) Put a sump on the existing in cab tank and run external pump etc.

Option 2) Put an intank pump and pick up as seen else where on the board.

Option 3) Use a swirl tank.

So lets talk about option 3.

My plan would be to use a low pressure pump to transfer the fuel from the tank to the swirl pot. From there I would use a Bosch 044 High pressure pump to a Corvette regulator with a return to the swirl pot.

Thinking is that a 2L pot should be large enough.

Swirl Pot and pumps, regulator and filters I am thinking of mounting on the outside of the chassis between the bed end and arch, will use some thick wall tubing to provide protection from side impact. Passenger side looks favourite.

Total cost for this solution is going to be about $350, the only extra expense over option 1 and 2 is the cost of the lift pump and swirl pot, both of which can be picked up for around $150.

Other than cost the only other real advantage for going this route is that I am pretty much ensured that the engine is going to have plenty of fuel at all times and I doing have to start modifying the existing tank and risk making leaks and fumes.

So, can anybody see a flaw in my plan or should I stop trying to reinvent the wheel and go with Option 2?.

Comments welcome!

P. 😃
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:18 PM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: Fuel Tank- In tank, in line or Swirl Pot? You decide!

First off in my opinion the less gas I have inside the cab with me the better so I would be moving it . You might could have a custom fab tank for the rear built for way less than $900 I would think. A in cab tank with a in tank transfer pump may be a noisy item to have sitting right behind you.although my tank is under bed I run a walbro 255 inline pump and it has no problem pulling thru the original sending unit.
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:20 AM   #3
Matt Cramer

I did the in-tank, in-cab fuel pump and would not do so again. It's noisy and you still have fumes in the cab. I wouldn't hesitate to do an in-tank pump if the tank were under the bed, and you can get a complete underbed Jeep or Blazer tank for the price of that swirl pot.
Matt Cramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:11 AM   #4
Paul Y

Thanks for the reply Matt, challenge is that I am based out of the UK and, what is readily available to you, is not so easy to find here.

Would be interested to know which Jeep tank fits if you have that information to hand?

Regards,

P.
Paul Y is offline   Reply With Quote